COMPLETE[PLAY]Don Juan, or The Feast with the Statue by Molière - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Don Juan, or The Feast with the Statue by Molière (1622 - 1673). Translated by Henri van Laun (1820 - 1896)

Don Juan "contains, perhaps, more severe attacks upon hypocrisy than does even Tartuffe. It depicts the hero as a man who, rich, noble, powerful, and bold, respects neither heaven nor earth, and knows no bounds to the gratification of his desires or his passions. He has excellent manners, but abominable principles; he is a whited sepulcher, and abuses the privileges of nobility without acknowledging its obligations or its duties. Moliere sketches no longer the nobleman as ridiculous, but makes him terrible."
( The Translator)
  • This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/don-juan-or-the-feast-with-the-statue-by-moliere/

As Don Garcia or the Jealous Prince is getting cataloged, here is another Spanish play by Moliere. This is from the same old Spanish source as Mozart's Don Giovanni.

Gender neutral, of course. Kitty will break out her castanets and dance rings around us on stage as our ever popular DPL.

1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/stream/dramaticworksmol02moliiala#page/69/mode/1up
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: u7nTw2E9
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( Molière) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molière
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dom_Juan
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 39
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1665
        ============================================

Genres for the project: Plays/Comedy/Satire

Keywords that describe the book: hypocrisy, talking statue

============================================
      • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
        Channels: 1 (Mono)
        Bit Rate: 128 kbps
        Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
      • Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
        [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of Don Juan, or The Feast with the Statue, by Molière. Translated by Henri van Laun. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
      • AFTER recording
        Save files as 128 kbps MP3
        donjuan_[role]_[#]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: toddhw
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
        Please post below
      Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

getting this on my DPL list and the role of Mathurine will be funny :mrgreen: looking forward to my bickering counterpart this time.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Can I read Don Carlos? Getting in early 😺

I think this play also influenced the Mozart opera as the character of Leporello is based on Sganarelle, who is Moliere's invention and a more prominent character than in the earlier sources.
Last edited by alanmapstone on March 28th, 2020, 2:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Want to take a backseat to this one as I have some older claims still to finish, so may I play two different supporting characters: Pierrot and Monsieur Dimanche?
Tomas Peter
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you all.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

first in for once :mrgreen: well, the role was pretty short so I wanted to have it out of the way right away. Here is Mathurine, who is fighting fiercely for her dream-lover. (who doesn't really deserve it :lol: )

Loved to play the country ingenue for once. Practicing my cliché silly-blonde voice for once. (what a difference to Jocasta)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/donjuan_mathurine_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:40 min.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: March 30th, 2020, 5:30 am first in for once :mrgreen: well, the role was pretty short so I wanted to have it out of the way right away. Here is Mathurine, who is fighting fiercely for her dream-lover. (who doesn't really deserve it :lol: )

Loved to play the country ingenue for once. Practicing my cliché silly-blonde voice for once. (what a difference to Jocasta)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/donjuan_mathurine_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:40 min.

Sonia
Well, I am sure that Don Juan will be back any day now to marry you. How could he resist? Just wait right over there and do some DPL'ing while he finishes with a little business uptown and I'll let you know when he returns...

PL OK, of course.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: March 30th, 2020, 7:06 am Just wait right over there and do some DPL'ing while he finishes with a little business uptown and I'll let you know when he returns...
:lol: I won't hold my breath...

thank you for the quick PL feedback :)

Sonia
EltonTheSnowman

Post by EltonTheSnowman »

Hi Todd, I'd like to claim Donna Elvira. :)
Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

Can I claim Don Alonzo?
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
TyraM

Post by TyraM »

I can do stage direction 19-21!

Tyra
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you, and welcome to Librivox.

I see you have submitted your one-minute test, and I will hold the stage directions (all 5 acts) for you until that gets assessed by someone whose hearing is better than mine is these days.

Here are some guidelines Sonia and I (mostly Sonia - "kitty", the DPL - Dedicated Proof Listener - on this project ) have provided in the forum for doing stage directions.

*You read the intro and outro words for each act. The words to say are in the first posting, as are the filenames to use when posting them.

*Please leave at least 4-5 seconds of silence (more is better) between each "chunk" you have to read. I will have to copy/paste each bit out of everyone's original file and paste it in the correct spot in the masterfile - and I start with your file when making the master. So it's helpful if you leave enough cutting out/cutting in space.

*You need to read carefully through the text, to find all the stage directions, so basically everything that is not being read by a character. (example: "closes door" or "laughs", "scene 3", Enters and Exits, things like that). Often they are in brackets, but maybe not always.

*If you read a character-description right at the beginning of the character's speech, you need to read the name of the character as well. While when the direction shows up in the middle of a speech, you don't have to read the name.
example: John (putting down the book): Now listen to me... (closing the door)...I need to tell you a secret.
*Here you would have to read all that is underlined. So the name in the beginning, but not repeated in the middle.

*As far as Dramatis personae go, yes, please read the entire characteristics, for example: "Satan, the great devil, read by..." -- then 5 seconds pause for editing -- "Pug, the less devil, read by ..." -- 5 seconds pause -- "Iniquity, the vice, read by ..." and so on. This is to make sure we have a complete set of voice credits, just in case one of the readers vanishes without handing in their voice credit. Also don't forget to read "Stage Directions, read by_______" We need your voice credit as well.

*If in doubt, just record it - easier for me to cut than to track you down when I discover I need something.

Any questions, just ask.

Thanks, Todd
EltonTheSnowman

Post by EltonTheSnowman »

Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx