COMPLETE: [RUSSIAN] Silhouettes of Russian Writers, Issue 2 -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Kitty wrote: March 28th, 2020, 2:46 pm I have only two small comments, both may be optional:

> at 14:07 and at 33:39: (p. 55 and 60) "centre partout" - I imagine you want the correct pronunciation on French words as well. (if not, ignore this comment)You say "center pa-toi" which doesn't mean anything really. The last word should be read like the English "par-too" (stress on"too")

> at 27:28-27:31: (p. 59) between "будить ночную тьму" and "Соловей поетъ", the pause feels a bit too long for me, also there is an audible click again, maybe this can get shortened a bit
Thank you, Sonia, great feedback, as always! All fixed! I meant to recheck "centre partout" with the dictionary, but forgot :oops:
NOTE: the second "centre partout" is in fact at 32:39, not 33:39 :)

And the next section https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes2_07_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [29:59]
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: March 29th, 2020, 7:26 pm I meant to recheck "centre partout" with the dictionary, but forgot :oops:
haha that's ok, it's totally perfectly pronounced now :thumbs: PL ok !! And sorry for the wrong time-stamp :oops: probably a typo, need to be more careful.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 2:58 pmSec.4 is uploaded, no rush.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes2_04_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [29:46]
listened to section 4. Hey, interesting that he wrote a lot about Greece and not so much about Russia it seems. I probably would like his poetry. :9:

Only found two small textual errors, right at the beginning and then the rest was totally ok :)

> at 1:26: (p. 41) "Въ чемъ видѣлъ" - you say "Всë"

> at 1:48: (p. 41) "Въ слезахъ любви" - you say "сердцах"

great job so far :thumbs:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: March 28th, 2020, 12:32 pm And more poetry, sec.6, Полонский
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes2_06_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [41:56]
and had another go at one big section. Excellently narratated again. :clap: And I loved to hear about Tbilisi, my sister once spent a holiday there and apparently it's a nice city. :)

Only one easy cut to make:

> from 8:14-8:19: (p. 69): between "Истомившагося" and "Натурщица въ мастерской художника": the long pause and the click could be cut quite a bit

The rest is perfect :thumbs:

Thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: March 29th, 2020, 7:26 pm And the next section https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes2_07_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [29:59]
wohooo, for the first time in weeks, I have no backlog PL jobs anymore. :9: This section is totally PL ok. And I loved the spring poetry, it fits so well the sunshine outside my window. A very good poet. Lovely narrated.

Thank you, Mark !

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Thank you, Sonia :!: I never realized I'm mixing up so many words, I should be more careful :oops:
I would never find out without your word-perfect PL :!:

Sec.4 and 6 fixed, and some backlog for you, but please don't feel pressed! I don't have much work these days, trying to be productive.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes2_08_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [34:36]
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes2_09_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [33:37]
I must tell you, I strongly disagree with Eichenwald on his assessment of A.Tolstoy and, somewhat, on Dostoyevsky. The public opinion must be too; the Soviet intelligentsia very much knew, loved, and read A.K.Tolstoy (to differentiate from A.N.Tolstoy, a Soviet writer), let alone Dostoyevsky.

I was in Tbilisi over 40 years ago. My visit was absolutely unforgettable. However, probably your sister, Polonsky, and I felt we were in three different cities. :-)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: April 1st, 2020, 1:30 pmI never realized I'm mixing up so many words, I should be more careful :oops:
two wrong words in a text of half an hour is not "a lot", Mark. Don't worry. I think you are extremely precise and making my job very easy.

Sections 4 and 6 are now PL ok.
The public opinion must be too; the Soviet intelligentsia very much knew, loved, and read A.K.Tolstoy (to differentiate from A.N.Tolstoy, a Soviet writer)
are they somehow related ? So A.N. Tolstoy is the more widely known I take it ? Война и мир, etc ?
I was in Tbilisi over 40 years ago. My visit was absolutely unforgettable. However, probably your sister, Polonsky, and I felt we were in three different cities. :-)
haha yes, the city has probably changed quite a bit in all this time. She showed me lots of pictures, I think it was quite an experience.

I will try to PL the next sections over the weekend.

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

No, Война и мир is by L.N. (Leo) Tolstoy, he is the #1. Wait for the next sections :-)
Tolstoy was a big Russian nobility family, lots of talents there, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolstoy_family
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 7:49 amNo, Война и мир is by L.N. (Leo) Tolstoy, he is the #1.
right, Leo Tolstoy, I actually should have known that. :lol: I was confused by all the initials now. A big family indeed !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: April 1st, 2020, 1:30 pm Sec.4 and 6 fixed, and some backlog for you, but please don't feel pressed! I don't have much work these days, trying to be productive.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes2_08_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [34:36]
well I at least made a start and listened to the first part of Dostoevsky. At least he is the "famous" one :mrgreen: I recognized the book mentioned as "Crime and Punishment"

I only found one textual difference:

> at 17:29: (p. 95) "Его страницы, по изобилію метаморфозъ и случайностей" - you say " метафор" if I'm not mistaken, which is a different concept

Note to myself: continued on bottom p. 99 "Но трагедія пушкинскаго анчара"

thank you

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and finally the end of Dostoevsky, seems to be all about the Karamasovs. Excellent job again, thank you, very informative.

I have a few small notes here as well:

> at 13:04: (p. 103) "oh Hölle" - I hear more "Holle", the 'ö' sound is different in German. Difficult to explain though because I don't think the sound exists in English or Russian :( It is more like an "eh" than an "oh", it would be closer that way. For example the first 'e' sound you do in "Schopenhauer" would be better, even though it's not exactly like that. I can make you a soundfile if that would help

> at 13:17-13:24: (p. 103) "Она для Достоевскаго антиномична по самому существу своему." - this sentence is repeated, you can cut it out here. Also "назад", which you probably said to remind you of the repetition ;)

> at 25:45-25:48: (p. 106) between "неисчерпаемое горе..." and "Отъ своихъ и чужихъ страданій": the pause is over 3 seconds long, that feels a bit much while listening

thank you, and I see you were prolific again. I will never manage to be as fast as you, so: patience

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Kitty wrote: April 8th, 2020, 1:36 am
and finally the end of Dostoevsky, seems to be all about the Karamasovs. Excellent job again, thank you, very informative.

I have a few small notes here as well:
Thank you again for the excellent feedback!
All fixed, and a new track, Тургенев:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/silhouettes2_13_aykhenvald_128kb.mp3 [38:48]

Indeed I'm trying to be productive while quarantined (working on three books together), you don't have to keep up with my pace. :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chulsky wrote: April 9th, 2020, 4:03 pm Thank you again for the excellent feedback!
All fixed, and a new track, Тургенев
thank you, Sections 8 & 9 now PL ok. Excellent job with "Hölle" :thumbs: I actually wasn't sure you would understand my tentative explanation :lol: but you did it really well.

Will try to get at least one more section PLed today...

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

well at least I was prolific too just now. Listened to TWO sections on Tolstoy, but now I need a break. The concentration is diminishing if I stare too long on the text.

But Section 10 is already PL ok.

And I only have a couple of notes for Section 11:

> from 15:30-15:33: (p. 121) between "и всѣ мы на счету у Него" and "Любовь къ обыкновенному" - pause is a bit long
> from 16:03-16:07: (p. 122) repetition "Конечно, онъ слишкомъ великъ" - can be cut, also a finger snapping right behind

Note for myself: continued on bottom p. 128 with "Итакъ, человѣкъ оскорбляетъ землю"

good job again, Mark :) thank you and have a nice weekend. I try to do the rest of Tolstoy tomorrow

Sonia