COMPLETE: Bill the Conqueror by P.G. Wodehouse -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Bill the Conqueror by P. G. Wodehouse (1881 - 1975).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/bill-the-conqueror-by-p-g-wodehouse/

Hailed as one of the funniest writers of the 20th century, P. G. Wodehouse cheerfully radiates humor that is both sophisticated and popular. In Bill the Conqueror, Wodehouse creates an array of entertaining characters who gallop around England and America in quest of love and money. Our far-from-perfect hero Bill is a dissipated American former football player and man of action, who tangles with odious relatives, bumbling gangsters, suave white-collar crooks, and even his exasperating but well-meaning friend Judson, as he seeks to become worthy of the woman of his dreams, whichever one she might be. As you might expect, the course of true love never did run smooth.
( Carol Pelster)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.32194/page/n5
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: General Fiction; General Fiction/Published 1900 onward; Humorous Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: romantic comedy, english humor, comedic complications, the course of true love never did run smooth.

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Bill the Conqueror. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Bill the Conqueror, by P. G. Wodehouse. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Bill the Conqueror by P. G. Wodehouse. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Bill the Conqueror, by P. G. Wodehouse. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename billtheconqueror_##_wodehouse_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. billtheconqueror_01_wodehouse_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags ID3 tags are now optional. They are added automatically during cataloging.
    Artist: P. G. Wodehouse
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Bill the Conqueror

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by carolpelster on May 16th, 2020, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I'll MC for you, Carol.
Jo
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Thanks, Jo!
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

I've never read Wodehouse but I've been told I’d like him. Would you like me to DPL?
“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Whoever told you that you would like P.G.Wodehouse is giving you a compliment. It shows that you have a good sense of humor . Thanks for offering to sign up to listen. So glad to have you.
Carol
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

I just put up Chapter 1. It's pretty long, 45 minutes. Chapter 2 is even longer, so I am going to divide it. I think most of the rest of the book has shorter chapters.
Carol
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

carolpelster wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 12:08 pm I just put up Chapter 1. It's pretty long, 45 minutes. Chapter 2 is even longer, so I am going to divide it. I think most of the rest of the book has shorter chapters.
Carol
Sounds good, I'll give it a listen when I get the chance. I get the feeling time isn't going to be hard to come by for the next while... Looking forward to the book!
“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

So many things are cancelled, that I have been having lots of time for reading.
Section 2 is ready.
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

carolpelster wrote: March 24th, 2020, 6:15 pm So many things are cancelled, that I have been having lots of time for reading.
Section 2 is ready.
I loved chapter 1! He paints the characters so clearly and he definitely has a way with words. You brought out the humour in his writing well too :D

PL OK :thumbs:
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

I'm not warming to Bill quite as much as the characters in chapter 1, although I did enjoy the end of this section. I only have two notes, both of which are very minor, so I'm not sure whether you want to bother with them.

~0:28 you're missing the ‘of’ in ‘hordes of people's’
~3:00 small stumble on honest
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Thanks ever so, for finding the mistakes in section 2. I fixed them, but I must say, it is harder than you would think to fix it when you leave out the word "of".

I also added Section 3.

Bill has quite a long way to go to reach the status of a conquering hero.
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Thanks ever so, for finding the mistakes in section 2. I fixed them, but I must say, it is harder than you would think to fix it when you leave out the word "of".

I also added Section 3.

Bill has quite a long way to go to reach the status of a conquering hero.
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

That's why I wasn't sure - I figured it would be rather finicky. You're doing well if those are the only issues in 25 minutes of audio though!
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

Only one note for part 3: at 6:43 “doorstep again” is very rushed and interrupts the flow.
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Thanks again for finding my mistakes. I would hate to have them get missed, and afflict the poor listeners with them.
I fixed Section 3 and added Section 4.