COMPLETE: The Five Nations Vol. 2 by Rudyard Kipling -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

The Five Nations Vol. 2 by Rudyard Kipling (1868 - 1936).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-five-nations-vol-ii-by-rudyard-kipling/

Rudyard Kipling was the first English recipient of the Nobel Prize in literature and the youngest at the time to be so rewarded. His children’s stories and poems have been enduring expressions of his times, many tied to India, the country of his birth.
Five Nations is a collection of poems covering the wide range of the British Kingdom at the time, though there is some debate as to what the Five Nations refer. There are two groups of poems in these volumes, unnamed poems and the service poems. Many of these have military themes and range over many wars of the British Empire. Volume 2 contains poems of the Five Nations and Service Poems. ( Larry Wilson)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/60261
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author

Keywords that describe the book: war, South Africa, service, karroo, kopjes, stellenbosh, waterval', dirge

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      • No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      • At the beginning of the recording, read the abbreviated "LibriVox disclaimer":
      "[Poem title], by Rudyard Kipling, read for LibriVox.org" by [your name] or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish.
      • Then read the poem.
      • At the end, say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." and leave five seconds of silence.
      At the end of the book, also say, "End of The Five Nations, Volume 2 by Rudyard Kipling"
      There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      fivenationsvol2_##_kipling_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. fivenationsvol2_01_kipling_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags ID3 tags are now optional. They are added automatically during cataloging.
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: Rudyard Kipling
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: The Five Nations Vol II

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
~ Larry
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Oh, Elijah beat me to it! I was going to offer since I am dpl for vol 1, but Elijah was here first and actually just one minute after the post was published! That's dedication and enthusiasm! :mrgreen:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

ej400 wrote: March 26th, 2020, 7:43 am Need a DPL? May I?
Thanks for the offer, Elijah, but I had sent a PM to the DPL from volume one to ask her to stay on to be DPL for the second volume, I just didn't get that posted here. But, looks as if you have your hands full with your other DPL projects and your new DR. I'll try to find someway to contribute to it.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Rapunzelina wrote: March 26th, 2020, 3:45 pm Oh, Elijah beat me to it! I was going to offer since I am dpl for vol 1, but Elijah was here first and actually just one minute after the post was published! That's dedication and enthusiasm! :mrgreen:
Since I had sent you the PM request, I'll have the MC who picks this up put you in for DPL.
Thanks so much.
~ Larry
ej400

Post by ej400 »

silverquill wrote: March 26th, 2020, 8:08 pm
ej400 wrote: March 26th, 2020, 7:43 am Need a DPL? May I?
Thanks for the offer, Elijah, but I had sent a PM to the DPL from volume one to ask her to stay on to be DPL for the second volume, I just didn't get that posted here. But, looks as if you have your hands full with your other DPL projects and your new DR. I'll try to find some way to contribute to it.
That's totally understood, no worries! Might pick up a section here instead then :D
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Cool! I'm glad this has been sorted out!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Larry. All set here and ready for titles in the MW. :)
Jo
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: March 28th, 2020, 2:27 pm Hi Larry. All set here and ready for titles in the MW. :)
Thank you so much!
We are ready for readers.
~ Larry
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

May I read sections 9 18 and 25
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

alanmapstone wrote: March 28th, 2020, 9:30 pm May I read sections 9 18 and 25
By all means!
Thanks so much.
~ Larry
pyledriver

Post by pyledriver »

I'll take # 6 Dirge of the Dead Sisters. please.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

pyledriver wrote: March 29th, 2020, 7:46 am I'll take # 6 Dirge of the Dead Sisters. please.
Thanks you!
~ Larry
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you for our first recorded sectiion!
Ready for PL
~ Larry