COMPLETE [Solo] Framley Parsonage by Anthony Trollope-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi Arlene

Sorry about the delay - Christmas was good, but marked by virus and post-viral lag that went into the new year. We were with our eldest and nothing spoilt our time - but they wouldn't let us lift a finger to help (John's comment was that he had to project manage at work and didn't want to have to at home! Helen's comment that she liked this care home! and since then life has also kicked in with a vengeance.

Here is the belated Chapter 16 https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_16_trollope_128kb.mp3 34:42.8

I hope you enjoy it.
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

I did enjoy it, but kept wondering when we were going to get to see the baby. Another of Trollope's jokes. Marked PL OK.

Sorry to hear you've been sick. 'Tis the season. I hope both of your backs have recovered in your holiday care home.
Arlene
---------------------------------------------
Every day is a new adventure!
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is Chapter 17 - another with Miss Dunstable in it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_17_trollope_128kb.mp3 33:17.9

Enjoy.
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Oh, I hope he does not ruin Miss Dunstable's character! That would be too sad.

Chapter 17 is PL OK.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi Arlene

Here is Chapter 18

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_18_trollope_128kb.mp3 26:44.5

I'm afraid it will be a little while before the next chapter as we are off to Norway for our usual skiing fortnight tomorrow, and I have nothing recorded yet for when I return.

I hope all goes well with you; I won't be able to do any correcting until after we return.

With best wishes

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

All is well, as there is no correcting to do. Marked PL OK.

Hope you had a wonderful time in Norway!
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is Chapter 19 https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_19_trollope_128kb.mp3 37:01.8

We enjoyed Norway because of seeing friends, and the beautiful landscape - but the snow was rubbish for cross country skiing a lot of the time. We had 4 good days - but we had to stay down in the valley, because we were not fit enough and out of practice; two days we couldn't ski at all, one because of a blizzard (which caused an avalanche to block the railway for three days, and all the roads in Western Norway were closed and one because the snow on ice was so slippery, with the wind as well, that we couldn't make any progress, so we went for a walk, and the rest of the time was some snow on ice and windy. One day we set out round the lake in the morning, because the wind was forecast a force 4, rising to 6 in the afternoon when we planned to go back to the hotel - the wind rose as we were on our way back round the lake and we were being swept along out of control, because of the icy conditions with wind at our backs, with people coming the other way against the wind unable to make any headway, and hardly stand up. We only just missed a collision!

However it is a good thing we didn't delay a couple of weeks, because although the weather would have been perfect, we would have been stranded thanks to the corona virus!

I hope it isn't affecting you tto much.

Enjoy the chapter

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Thanks for that chapter! Marked PL OK.

When nearly everything else around us is different from before, I take extra pleasure in these tasks that have long been part of "normal". Certainly glad you got safely home before all the borders closed.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is Chapter 20.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_20_trollope_128kb.mp3 30:13.2

We are now self-isolating, because we are both classed in the vulnerable category. (Not that either of us feels particularly vulnerable, but we do feel that it would be difficult to justify having ignored the advice if either or both of us needed to call upon the medical services).

It is only day 5 and cabin fever has set in!

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

For a chapter titled "Harold Smith in the Cabinet", there was a surprising amount of other people in the ballroom! Marked PL OK.

Sounds like our quarantine duration has been similar. I haven't had a chance to get cabin fever yet, as we've been doing all-things-virtual at the church, and that takes a lot of teaching and learning relating to technology. "At" is obviously the wrong preposition there, as all of the activity is pointedly not taking place "at" the church.

Glad you are both well and choosing to stay safe. It is hard to think about being in a vulnerable category when I feel so strong and healthy. But as you point out, I would be most chagrined at having to place additional stress on our medical system at this time.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

I hope you are still well. We are ok, with a freezer full of food; our church has provided on-line services today, so we have been able to "go to" church this morning.

Here is Chapter 21
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_21_trollope_128kb.mp3 27:08.01

When I can get a quiet hour I will get on with recording the next chapter. It isn't quite so easy to get quiet with both of us in the house the whole time!

Keep safe

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Chapter 21 marked PL OK. Thanks for the reading. It is more appreciated than ever! I'm thinking I should take the opportunity of fewer planes to do some recording myself. I can't usually hear the planes, but the microphone picks them up, and that makes it hard to get a good recording. But there are so many fewer flights now that the chances of a clean recording are better.

Hope all continues well at your house and with your family.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is Chapter 22.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_22_trollope_128kb.mp3 20:38.1

What are you planning to read?

Is Seattle escaping the worst of the virus? We hear a lot about New York, and about America in general, but otherwise no specifics.

We are praying for one older member of our congregation who has had to be admitted to hospital and who is being tested for the virus, and a friend' husband who has been taken to A&E twice so far , because his symptoms have worsened, but who has been sent home each time (his wife, who is our god-daughter, is a gynaecologist), and our niece, who is a surgeon, has contracted it, but is at home - so it feels quite close to home.

Keep safe and well

Blessings

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

I see I missed marking chapter 21 PL OK. I marked both it and chapter 22.

I'm not sure I will read anything at all, now. I had no idea I would be so busy without leaving the house!

The English Language Acquisition program that I work with will be moving to online classes for Spring quarter. There are a lot of software updates that need to be made to the software I wrote for use in the lab. Too many of our students only have phones and tablets at home, so I need to make the pages work well on small screens.

Have you ever sung one of the LibriVox Christmas Carols? I'm coordinating the same type of thing for our choir. We are all recording our parts for the Easter hymn at home, and I'm stitching them together. Yea LibriVox for the idea! It's lovely to hear all my friends voices again.

Here near Seattle, we were at the first epicenter of the virus. But our governor took steps early. He was roundly criticized for it, but it turns out he was right. Otherwise, we would have been like New York. We're all very thankful for his leadership.

The virus does hit too close to home now. We learned today that my cousin and his entire young family have the virus. It's difficult when everyone in the household is sick, and extended family cannot be called in to help. My daughter now spends some of her rotations in the COVID-19 ward at her hospital. The need to share and re-use PPE in her regular ward, in order to ensure that the COVID ward has enough, is frustrating to her.

I hope you and your family continue well. I do so appreciate your work on this book. It's a bright spot in the day when the email comes announcing another chapter.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is Chapter 23

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/framleyparsonage_23_trollope_128kb.mp3 34:24.7

I do hope your cousin and family are recovering now. The virus seems to leave everyone weak, however "mildly" they have it!

You must be so proud - and so anxious - for your daughter.

I am very impressed about the software you have written - I hope translating/ transferring it to tablet and Smartphone works well.

Enjoy the chapter.