How many hours' worth of recorded material do I have at Librivox?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

With regard to the 10,000 hours to become an expert controversy, I was wondering how many finished hours I have done here.

Is there a way for me to find out? Is there an easier way for me to find out?
Is there an easy way for one of you Masters of the Universe to run a script?

Regards,
Mitch
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Sadly - no to all :( You'd have to work it out yourself. The figures are all available for each of your readings and you could make a spread sheet if you really wanted to and then it wouldn't take much effort to keep upgrading it.

Anne

And let's move this out of error reports to somewhere more appropiate
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thinking about it - and being somewhat pedantic, the only recorded material we have at Librivox is the uncatalogued recordings . After they are sent to Archive they are sooner or later removed from the LV server so our database has links and information, not actual recordings.
We used to, way back, have an overall total number of hours which was fun, we could say things like" If you started listening to the catalogue today you wouldn't finish for "x years, y hours , 31 mins and 16 seconds.

Anne
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

annise wrote: March 28th, 2020, 2:08 am
And let's move this out of error reports to somewhere more appropiate
ok thanks.

delete the thread ?
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

No, don't delete it.

What if somebody figures out (and implements) an easy way for a member to put their name and get back the number with some other statistics? Perhaps this thread is where they'd brag of its availability... We have catalogue API, it gives back text information that can be parsed, right? Maybe submit a suggestion to the API thread...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

For the aggregate time of all my high quality recording, I take the number of my sections and multiply by 5.5 seconds.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

That is, you count the lead-in and the final silence?
tovarisch
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

You can't let the API determine the read time, how can you determine the length of the roles in the DR pieces?
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 3 Rollen unbesetzt
I will be on vacation from March 28 to April 1.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

lorda wrote: March 28th, 2020, 8:24 am You can't let the API determine the read time, how can you determine the length of the roles in the DR pieces?
That, you cannot do. I suppose you could use a stopwatch when listening, but that's about it.

(You can't even use the length of your original submitted files since they often have long silences in them.)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

realisticspeakers wrote: March 28th, 2020, 12:25 am With regard to the 10,000 hours to become an expert controversy, I was wondering how many finished hours I have done here.

Is there a way for me to find out? Is there an easier way for me to find out?
Is there an easy way for one of you Masters of the Universe to run a script?

Regards,
Mitch
Aside from the API, I suppose one could download all one's sections (or find them in their own storage) and add 'em all up on one's own. :hmm:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

tovarisch wrote: March 28th, 2020, 8:16 am That is, you count the lead-in and the final silence?
Precisely!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

TriciaG wrote: March 28th, 2020, 8:39 am Aside from the API, I suppose one could download all one's sections (or find them in their own storage) and add 'em all up on one's own. :hmm:
I did that once and for a while was keeping a running total, but somewhere along the line, I stopped updating it. I have all my submitted files backed up on an external drive, so it's just a matter of adding up the file lengths. That in itself is pretty tedious, however. It's not so bad to just do your solos where you can get the total runtimes of the catalog pages.
Jo
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yeah, I did it too, for a while. I think I stopped around the time of the new workflow/catalog system. And I can't find my old spreadsheet anymore. *shrug*

I'll think about doing it if we have a stay-at-home order AND the internet goes down. :lol:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: March 28th, 2020, 10:43 am ... AND the internet goes down. :lol:
Don't even whisper that!
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

It's kinda funny, but I can't help thinking of more efficient (lazy) ways of doing it. For instance, if you have your mp3s someplace, then using Windows Media Player you can add them to a playlist, and it will count the running length for you, I believe. I bet that on MacOS there is a similar way...
tovarisch