changing volume

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
lvreader1

Post by lvreader1 »

hello. I've just received feedback from my one minute test. I don't know how to change the volume from 81db to 89d. or for that matter how to find the 81 db. I just downloaded audacity a week ago and am still learning my way around it.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Start Audacity. Open the file where your recording is. Select the entire track (Ctrl+A). Go "Effect -> Amplify", enter the difference (8) into the "value", press OK. Save (Ctrl+S), then export like you did before.

Also, read our wiki pages (the link is at the top of every forum page). There is more information on how to get stuff done, there are "instructional videos" (search for those words there).

Next time consider using "Need Help" forum for questions like this one. :)

Oh, and how to find out the volume, look for "Checker" in our wiki.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

There are two recommended ways to check volume.

First is the Checker app that tovarisch mentioned. It's a separate little program to install on your computer. It's here: https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/ The volume information is in the Information tab. We aim for 89 dB, but anything between about 86 and 92 is good.

Second is a plugin right in Audacity. It will tell you how much to amplify your recordings, or how far off you are from "ideal" volume. It's called ReplayGain. Instructions for installing and using it are on this page: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity

Personally, I prefer to adjust input volume rather than simply amplifying as tovarisch suggested. Move the microphone slider in the Audacity window up. In your case, try two full notches. If it's at .65, move it to .85. It's a guessing game as to how much. :) Visually, you should aim for your wave forms to peak near the 0.5 mark, like this:

That will get you closer to the correct volume range, and you can fine tune it from there. :)

[Moving this to the "Need Help? Got Advice?" forum...]
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

You definitely should get the Checker application, and get into the automatic habit of using it to check every track you record before uploading it to Librivox. It not only checks that the volume is within acceptable limits, but also tries to make sure you've used an acceptable form of filename. More details on the Librivox Wiki, here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

... and Checker checks for background noise level. But I don't know what its criteria are.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
loon

Post by loon »

Checker assumes you've left 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording. If you edit 5 seconds of generated silence to the end it will show you as having a great background noise level.

My recordings typically require 8-10 dB added volume. Before I use the Amplify... effect I run the Compressor... effect (default settings) - that way I'm more confident my loudest peaks won't clip.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Peter Why wrote: March 28th, 2020, 6:58 am ... and Checker checks for background noise level. But I don't know what its criteria are.
Peter
I've never noticed that. Does it only say something if the background noise is quite high? I work with a noise floor of at least -60dB and usually -70dB. If Checker checks the last 5 seconds of silence then my noise floor would be -70 to -80dB.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

lurcherlover wrote: March 30th, 2020, 7:05 am
Peter Why wrote: March 28th, 2020, 6:58 am ... and Checker checks for background noise level. But I don't know what its criteria are.
Peter
I've never noticed that. Does it only say something if the background noise is quite high? I work with a noise floor of at least -60dB and usually -70dB. If Checker checks the last 5 seconds of silence then my noise floor would be -70 to -80dB.
It'll warn you if it's over 40 dB or something like that. It measures it here:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

TriciaG wrote: March 30th, 2020, 7:14 am
lurcherlover wrote: March 30th, 2020, 7:05 am
Peter
It'll warn you if it's over 40 dB or something like that. It measures it here:
I will check, as I think that box (background noise) may not be ticked on my Checker app. Thanks.