[Complete] Genji Monogatari by Murasaki Shikibu - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Genji Monogatari by Murasaki Shikibu (978 - c 1025). Translated by Suematsu Kencho (1855 - 1920)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/genji-monogatari-by-murasaki-shikibu/
Genji Monogatari, or The Tale of Genji, is a Japanese classic novel from the eleventh century. Supposedly commissioned by members of the Imperial Family, it tells the story of the son of the Emperor's favorite concubine and his role as a privileged boy and man, but not quite recognized as royal. He is placed in a loveless marriage, but continues a number of 'friendships' with the women of the court. This translation brings us the first seventeen chapters, and there is some dispute over the authorship of later (not included) chapters. The book gives us a fascinating insight into court life of the period. ( Lynne Thompson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89076313527&view=1up&seq=1
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( Murasaki Shikibu) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murasaki_Shikibu
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_Genji
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 18
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
  • Original publication date (if known): c1021
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Romance; Culture & Heritage Fiction; Fictional Biographies & Memoirs

Keywords that describe the book: romance, Japan, family, exile, court life, bereavement, emperor, concubine

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Section [number] of Genji Monogatari. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Genji Monogatari, by Murasaki Shikibu. [Section name]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Genji Monogatari by Murasaki Shikibu. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[section number]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Genji Monogatari, by Murasaki Shikibu. Translated by Suematsu Kencho (1855 - 1920)"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename genji_##_shikibu_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. genji_01_shikibu_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Do you need a DPL for this project?
I don't know that I ever actually read the whole thing, but I remember studying about this way back in my university days. I took several course in Japanese history and literature, and language. Spent one summer term in Tokyo studying at Sophia University.

Anyway, I'm available if needed, or not as the case may be.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

silverquill wrote: March 16th, 2020, 10:40 am Do you need a DPL for this project?
I don't know that I ever actually read the whole thing, but I remember studying about this way back in my university days. I took several course in Japanese history and literature, and language. Spent one summer term in Tokyo studying at Sophia University.

Anyway, I'm available if needed, or not as the case may be.
You are far more knowledgeable than I! I read it a few months ago and really enjoyed it, so decided to record it. There is a group project in the catalog, but since many listeners prefer solos, I thought why not. (The answer could be my mangling of Japanese pronunciation!). Anyway, you’ve got the job... but I expect it will be a drawn-out project (too many irons in the fire!)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Irons in the fire . . . same here, so glad to follow along at your pace.
I did listen to the intro this morning and it is PL OK.

Thanks for having me. :D
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Oh, forgot to post that the intro is PL OK
One small note for Section 1
5:56-59 dog barking
minor, but I thought I'd mention it, and you can decide to fix or not.
~ Larry
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

silverquill wrote: March 17th, 2020, 10:33 pm Oh, forgot to post that the intro is PL OK
One small note for Section 1
5:56-59 dog barking
minor, but I thought I'd mention it, and you can decide to fix or not.
Yes, that was Baxter, my corgi 8-) In general, we overlook minor background noises like that,unless it interferes with listening. I didn’t think it did.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

The next chapter is very long, so I have split it in two at what seemed to me a logical point.
Section 2 is ready.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Lynnet wrote: March 26th, 2020, 3:42 pm The next chapter is very long, so I have split it in two at what seemed to me a logical point.
Section 2 is ready.
Bit off the end of his finger - oh, my!
PL OK
~ Larry
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

A woman scorned and all that :lol:

Section 3 is up.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Lynnet wrote: March 27th, 2020, 10:08 am A woman scorned and all that :lol:

Section 3 is up.
3 and 4 are PL OK.
~ Larry
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

The marathon section 5 is up.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Lynnet wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 4:27 pm The marathon section 5 is up.
PL OK
~ Larry
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Section 6 is up.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Lynnet wrote: April 13th, 2020, 7:26 am Section 6 is up.
Just a louder than normal click or bang at 20:20 and one not quite so bad at about 45:08
Just thought I'd mention them in case you'd like to fix them.
~ Larry
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

silverquill wrote: April 14th, 2020, 9:24 pm
Lynnet wrote: April 13th, 2020, 7:26 am Section 6 is up.
Just a louder than normal click or bang at 20:20 and one not quite so bad at about 45:08
Just thought I'd mention them in case you'd like to fix them.
Hmmm... are you sure about the times? I didn't detect anything amiss :hmm: