[ANIMALS]The Living Animals of the World, Volume 1: Mammals-Leni

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Post Reply
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12614
Joined: July 27th, 2008, 9:10 pm
Location: Vitória, Brazil

Post by Leni » March 26th, 2020, 9:16 am

CookieR123 wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 5:41 pm
May I please claim Section 44 (The Goats...)? Thanks!
Hello, and welcome to Librivox. I see you have already done your one-minute test, so all I need to know to assign you the section is under what name or pseudonym you would like to appear in our catalog. Thanks!
Leni
=================

The Natural History volume 5 needs you! Only ONE section to go! :D

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12614
Joined: July 27th, 2008, 9:10 pm
Location: Vitória, Brazil

Post by Leni » March 26th, 2020, 9:18 am

csinclair wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 8:46 am

Thank you! csinclair is fine for my catalog name.
Section assigned, happy recording!
Leni
=================

The Natural History volume 5 needs you! Only ONE section to go! :D

Nettle
Posts: 20
Joined: March 17th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Post by Nettle » March 26th, 2020, 10:33 am

Section 40 is ready for PL! Boy did I underestimate the length of 3000 words.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/livinganimals1_40_cornish_128kb.mp3
20:38
Nettle :^]

CookieR123
Posts: 10
Joined: March 25th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Post by CookieR123 » March 26th, 2020, 11:38 am

Leni wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 9:16 am
CookieR123 wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 5:41 pm
May I please claim Section 44 (The Goats...)? Thanks!
Hello, and welcome to Librivox. I see you have already done your one-minute test, so all I need to know to assign you the section is under what name or pseudonym you would like to appear in our catalog. Thanks!
Thanks, CookieR123 is fine!

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12614
Joined: July 27th, 2008, 9:10 pm
Location: Vitória, Brazil

Post by Leni » March 26th, 2020, 1:06 pm

Nettle wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 10:33 am
Section 40 is ready for PL! Boy did I underestimate the length of 3000 words.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/livinganimals1_40_cornish_128kb.mp3
20:38
Thanks much!
Leni
=================

The Natural History volume 5 needs you! Only ONE section to go! :D

MDoorkeeper
Posts: 135
Joined: April 13th, 2018, 7:30 pm
Location: Webster Groves. MO,USA

Post by MDoorkeeper » March 26th, 2020, 1:53 pm

Nettle wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 10:33 am
Section 40 is ready for PL! Boy did I underestimate the length of 3000 words.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/livinganimals1_40_cornish_128kb.mp3
20:38
Fun, ain't it? :D
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it"
--Mark Twain

jigraves
Posts: 26
Joined: January 10th, 2018, 9:43 am

Post by jigraves » March 26th, 2020, 2:01 pm

RSlabaugh wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 7:34 am
jigraves wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 8:25 am
Here is Section 49 Giraffe and Okapi

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/livinganimals1_49_cornish_128kb.mp3

Time is 21:23

Thank you!! Have a great day.
PL notes:
*This also has a slightly higher volume than our range, being at 92.8 dB. Lower about 3, and it should be good. Although there are spots that your voice fades a little. :hmm: A mic setting??

*Silences at both ends need adjustment - beginning should have a tad more but not more than .5-1 second total. End should be increased to ~5 seconds.

*Also I noticed quite a few slight stumbles throughout. Have you edited the file and those stumbles were minor enough that you decided to leave them, or was that a complete miss? I'll wait to finish PLing this until you let me know. And if you have questions, feel free to ask here or PM me.

(Another thing I noticed but have no idea how to change is the background hum while you're speaking but not otherwise. I'm not familiar enough with the recording and editing processes to know what causes it, but perhaps you'll think of something to do differently on future files. About me, you don't have to worry about it here unless you find an easy quick fix.)

Thanks,
Hello,

I apologize for the delay. We have been in the middle of moving into our new house along with now having to home school 3 kids. :) I have made the changes with regard to the range and silences as best I could. I am hoping that will suffice. I am still a little new to all of this and learning how to edit, etc. I realize I made some stumbles but the text was rather difficult at times even though I read it over at least 20 times before recording and I still had trouble with some of the words. :) If it is too much I don't re-recording it again so please let me know if that is what you would prefer. I really enjoy doing the narrations but sometimes I think I challenge myself too much. :) I'm not sure about the hum and haven't really noticed it. I got a new mic for Christmas but have an old laptop so maybe they just don't like each other or something. I will try to look into it for future recordings. Thanks for the feedback.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/livinganimals1_49_cornish_128kb.mp3

Time is 21:28
Jackie Graves
Noblesville, IN

Constructive feedback and criticism is always welcome. Thank you!

jigraves
Posts: 26
Joined: January 10th, 2018, 9:43 am

Post by jigraves » March 26th, 2020, 2:13 pm

RSlabaugh wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 6:34 am
jigraves wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 8:17 am
Here is section 1 The Chimp

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/livinganimals1_01_cornish_128kb.mp3

Time is 8:48

Thank you!!
Nice reading! I have a few notes for you, which I hope won’t give you too much trouble. :)

*Volume- It is currently high at 95.5 dB. Target is ~89 dB with 86-92 being acceptable. So amplifying -6 should be about right.

*End silence is 1.4 sec while we need ~5 seconds.

*Other edits that could possibly be OK as is if they cause too much trouble:
~2:50 a word that seems to have been cropped, ‘digits’
~5:02 slight stumble, "than ha... they have yet obtained"

Thanks!
Hello,

Somehow I lost the chimp data file and now I am unable to open the project. Ugh! :( I will have to re-record it and get it to you as soon as I can. I apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you and I will get it to you ASAP. Thanks again!
Jackie Graves
Noblesville, IN

Constructive feedback and criticism is always welcome. Thank you!

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12614
Joined: July 27th, 2008, 9:10 pm
Location: Vitória, Brazil

Post by Leni » March 26th, 2020, 2:13 pm

jigraves wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 2:01 pm

Hello,

I apologize for the delay. We have been in the middle of moving into our new house along with now having to home school 3 kids. :) I have made the changes with regard to the range and silences as best I could. I am hoping that will suffice. I am still a little new to all of this and learning how to edit, etc. I realize I made some stumbles but the text was rather difficult at times even though I read it over at least 20 times before recording and I still had trouble with some of the words. :) If it is too much I don't re-recording it again so please let me know if that is what you would prefer. I really enjoy doing the narrations but sometimes I think I challenge myself too much. :) I'm not sure about the hum and haven't really noticed it. I got a new mic for Christmas but have an old laptop so maybe they just don't like each other or something. I will try to look into it for future recordings. Thanks for the feedback.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/livinganimals1_49_cornish_128kb.mp3

Time is 21:28
Thanks, Jackie! Our PLer will spot-check your section.
Leni
=================

The Natural History volume 5 needs you! Only ONE section to go! :D

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12614
Joined: July 27th, 2008, 9:10 pm
Location: Vitória, Brazil

Post by Leni » March 26th, 2020, 2:15 pm

jigraves wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 2:13 pm

Hello,

Somehow I lost the chimp data file and now I am unable to open the project. Ugh! :( I will have to re-record it and get it to you as soon as I can. I apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you and I will get it to you ASAP. Thanks again!
Oh, there is no need to re-record! You can download the file from the window, and open it in Audacity. Granted, that is not the ideal, because every time you turn it into mp3 and back to aup you lose some quality, but doing it just once won't cause any harm!
Leni
=================

The Natural History volume 5 needs you! Only ONE section to go! :D

jigraves
Posts: 26
Joined: January 10th, 2018, 9:43 am

Post by jigraves » March 26th, 2020, 2:17 pm

Leni wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 2:15 pm
jigraves wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 2:13 pm

Hello,

Somehow I lost the chimp data file and now I am unable to open the project. Ugh! :( I will have to re-record it and get it to you as soon as I can. I apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you and I will get it to you ASAP. Thanks again!
Oh, there is no need to re-record! You can download the file from the window, and open it in Audacity. Granted, that is not the ideal, because every time you turn it into mp3 and back to aup you lose some quality, but doing it just once won't cause any harm!
Oh phew! Ok, learned something new. :) I will try that and see if I can make the updates outlined here. Thank you!
Jackie Graves
Noblesville, IN

Constructive feedback and criticism is always welcome. Thank you!

Nettle
Posts: 20
Joined: March 17th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Post by Nettle » March 26th, 2020, 2:24 pm

MDoorkeeper wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 1:53 pm
Fun, ain't it? :D
Indeed it is. :lol:
Nettle :^]

jigraves
Posts: 26
Joined: January 10th, 2018, 9:43 am

Post by jigraves » March 26th, 2020, 2:28 pm

jigraves wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 2:13 pm
RSlabaugh wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 6:34 am
jigraves wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 8:17 am
Here is section 1 The Chimp

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/livinganimals1_01_cornish_128kb.mp3

Time is 8:48

Thank you!!
Nice reading! I have a few notes for you, which I hope won’t give you too much trouble. :)

*Volume- It is currently high at 95.5 dB. Target is ~89 dB with 86-92 being acceptable. So amplifying -6 should be about right.

*End silence is 1.4 sec while we need ~5 seconds.

*Other edits that could possibly be OK as is if they cause too much trouble:
~2:50 a word that seems to have been cropped, ‘digits’
~5:02 slight stumble, "than ha... they have yet obtained"

Thanks!
Hello,

Somehow I lost the chimp data file and now I am unable to open the project. Ugh! :( I will have to re-record it and get it to you as soon as I can. I apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you and I will get it to you ASAP. Thanks again!
Hello,

Here's the updated Chimp file. Please let me know if this is ok and if you have any questions. Thanks again!

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/livinganimals1_01_cornish_128kb.mp3

Time is 8:54
Jackie Graves
Noblesville, IN

Constructive feedback and criticism is always welcome. Thank you!

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12614
Joined: July 27th, 2008, 9:10 pm
Location: Vitória, Brazil

Post by Leni » March 26th, 2020, 5:48 pm

Thanks, Jackie!
Leni
=================

The Natural History volume 5 needs you! Only ONE section to go! :D

RSlabaugh
Posts: 1052
Joined: June 29th, 2019, 6:43 pm
Location: USA

Post by RSlabaugh » March 26th, 2020, 6:27 pm

BetsyWalker wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 3:02 pm
Here's the link to my recording of section 28:

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/livinganimals1_28_cornish_128kb.mp3
Duration: 28:04

This is the first recording I've done in a few months. It was fun!

Betsy
PL notes:
Please shorten the silences at both ends, as they are currently - beginning silence 3.7 sec, & end silence 6.2 sec.

Otherwise all's good! I like the expression you put into the reading to bring it to life. :thumbs:

Thanks,
~Rosebud

Post Reply