[COMPLETE] How To Write Short Stories (with samples), by Ring Lardner - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
msfry
Posts: 7266
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » March 20th, 2020, 8:39 pm

Thanks, Bill. I look forward to listening.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #3

ruthema
Posts: 39
Joined: March 15th, 2020, 7:41 pm

Post by ruthema » March 21st, 2020, 2:02 pm

Here's section 13:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/howtowriteshortstories_13_lardner_128kb.mp3 16:25

Should have section 14 ready for PL in the next couple days - this story is hilarious
madison rutherford

msfry
Posts: 7266
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » March 22nd, 2020, 12:10 pm

Thanks, Bill. I'll have 2 to listen to soon.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #3

ruthema
Posts: 39
Joined: March 15th, 2020, 7:41 pm

Post by ruthema » March 24th, 2020, 4:54 pm

madison rutherford

msfry
Posts: 7266
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » March 24th, 2020, 5:53 pm

Thanks, Madison. I look forward to listening.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #3

msfry
Posts: 7266
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » March 25th, 2020, 4:18 pm

PL Notes Alibi Ike
Sorry to cite so many errors, but these are the ones that I think matter:

Section 5
at :26 "Part 1" should be moved to after the forward, at :45. As it reads now, it sounds like Chief Judge Taft's right name was Frank X. Farrell.
8:45 need to say 2, marked as part II of the story.
15:03 need to say 3, marked as part III of the story.
18:53 missing text: "Well, I didn't see him do it," Cap says. "He done it all right," says Ike.

Section 6
at :30, after Chapter 3, Alibi Ike, Part 2, please insert "4", marked as part IV of the sotry.
3:42 hay fever, you say hay figure
7:14 insert 5.
8:05 Nobody was surprised, you say Somebody.
9:43 Well, says Carey, says is missing.
13:41 insert 6
17:06 that our wives wasn't goin' to spend unless, you say our wives were all waiting to spend unless
17:19 That's prob'ly what got her, or maybe she; you say him and he
18:36 says Ike, you say I, meaning the narrator.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #3

msfry
Posts: 7266
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » March 26th, 2020, 10:20 am

PL Notes on A Caddie's Diary
My goodness there is not much punctuation in this piece! Good reading of those loooooong sentences!

13
Forgot to include the preface, which occurs on the page previous to where you started.

14

Checker reports volume on the 2 sections is 88.9 on 13, and 90.8 on 14; a spread of 2 points -- in the acceptable range. But as you are going to be uploading again anyway, perhaps you could adjust 13 +1, and lower 14 -1. That way listeners don't have to adjust volume from one section to the next. I've heard a rumor that LV's program automatically equalizes volume upon cataloguing, but I'm not at all sure of this because when I listen to any group project through earbuds, headphones or bluetooth speakers I frequently have to adjust volume between files.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #3

kwpapke
Posts: 202
Joined: February 18th, 2017, 10:40 am
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Post by kwpapke » March 26th, 2020, 2:22 pm


msfry
Posts: 7266
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » March 28th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Section 1 is PL OK.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #3

Arlechine
Posts: 1
Joined: March 27th, 2020, 2:42 pm

Post by Arlechine » March 28th, 2020, 6:03 pm

Hello,
I would like to read the Ring Lardner story called "Horseshoes" listed as #19and #20. I know I still need to do the short test first. Getting the mic set up this week-end.
Thanks, Carmen

williamjones
Posts: 1247
Joined: April 26th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Post by williamjones » March 29th, 2020, 6:44 am

msfry wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 4:18 pm
PL Notes Alibi Ike
Sorry to cite so many errors, but these are the ones that I think matter:

Section 5
at :26 "Part 1" should be moved to after the forward, at :45. As it reads now, it sounds like Chief Judge Taft's right name was Frank X. Farrell.
8:45 need to say 2, marked as part II of the story.
15:03 need to say 3, marked as part III of the story.
18:53 missing text: "Well, I didn't see him do it," Cap says. "He done it all right," says Ike.

Section 6
at :30, after Chapter 3, Alibi Ike, Part 2, please insert "4", marked as part IV of the sotry.
3:42 hay fever, you say hay figure
7:14 insert 5.
8:05 Nobody was surprised, you say Somebody.
9:43 Well, says Carey, says is missing.
13:41 insert 6
17:06 that our wives wasn't goin' to spend unless, you say our wives were all waiting to spend unless
17:19 That's prob'ly what got her, or maybe she; you say him and he
18:36 says Ike, you say I, meaning the narrator.
Uploaded sections 5 and 6 with corrections made.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/howtowriteshortstories_05_lardner_128kb.mp3 24:47
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/howtowriteshortstories_06_lardner_128kb.mp3 19:05
Bill says:
"Always remember that you are absolutely unique.
Just like everyone else."
-Margaret Mead

msfry
Posts: 7266
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » March 29th, 2020, 7:02 am

Sections 5 and 6, PL OK.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #3

msfry
Posts: 7266
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » March 29th, 2020, 7:14 am

Arlechine wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 6:03 pm
Hello,
I would like to read the Ring Lardner story called "Horseshoes" listed as #19and #20. I know I still need to do the short test first. Getting the mic set up this week-end.
Thanks, Carmen
Hi, Carmen. I'll reserve these sections for you while you get ready. I recommend you first look around for some shorter pieces to practice on (under 1500 words), because 10,000 words is a mighty long story for a beginner, over an hour at least of finished product, which gets tedious to edit even for an experienced reader. Our poetry projects, and children's books are great places to find short pieces, get immediate satisfaction, meet new people and get familiar with the process. Also, please go over and Introduce Yourself. It helps to know what equipment you are using, literary interests, prior experience with recording, how you discovered Librivox, etc. We are a friendly bunch and look forward to getting to know you.
Last edited by msfry on March 29th, 2020, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #3

ruthema
Posts: 39
Joined: March 15th, 2020, 7:41 pm

Post by ruthema » March 29th, 2020, 7:45 am

msfry wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 10:20 am
PL Notes on A Caddie's Diary
My goodness there is not much punctuation in this piece! Good reading of those loooooong sentences!

13
Forgot to include the preface, which occurs on the page previous to where you started.

14

Checker reports volume on the 2 sections is 88.9 on 13, and 90.8 on 14; a spread of 2 points -- in the acceptable range. But as you are going to be uploading again anyway, perhaps you could adjust 13 +1, and lower 14 -1. That way listeners don't have to adjust volume from one section to the next. I've heard a rumor that LV's program automatically equalizes volume upon cataloguing, but I'm not at all sure of this because when I listen to any group project through earbuds, headphones or bluetooth speakers I frequently have to adjust volume between files.
Problems fixed! Thank you for the feedback.


https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/howtowriteshortstories_13_lardner_128kb.mp3 17:01
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/howtowriteshortstories_14_lardner_128kb.mp3 15:56
madison rutherford

msfry
Posts: 7266
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » March 29th, 2020, 7:57 am

Sections 13 and 14 are PL OK. Great fixes. Thanks, Madison. I really enjoyed this story, especially as my son is an avid golfer and once was a caddy at Sunridge Canyon in Arizona!
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #3

Post Reply