COMPLETE [DR] Little Men by Louisa May Alcott - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If no other MC steps up, I'll MC this as soon as Andrew the Glad is cataloged. It just needs final PL.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Let me MC this project.

Dramatic Readings are often the longest running projects, that require the most work and commitment from the people involved. That is why we asked if you were aware that there was already a DR version of the work, in which case you might decide to direct your efforts to another work.
But since you're already aware of it, and still intend to continue, of course there's no rule stopping you from reading the same work again.

Indeed Librivox has always been more about the reader than the listener in most respects, like how we do not require professional recording setup in order to participate, and Librivox has been "accused" of having low quality recordings. So the reader comes first, and a reader who contributes is much more appreciated than a listener who complains :mrgreen:

It's great to see the enthusiasm from the people involved so far!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I have a confession to make. And penance. When I was growing up, most, if not all, boys did not read Alcott. It just wasn't done; like riding a girl's bike. (I wonder if anyone today knows what they look like.)

Anyway, if there is a small, little part in this, I'd like to help. Some say one can't work one's way to heaven, but I'm willing to try.
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

KevinS wrote: March 25th, 2020, 6:21 am I have a confession to make. And penance. When I was growing up, most, if not all, boys did not read Alcott. It just wasn't done; like riding a girl's bike. (I wonder if anyone today knows what they look like.)
Which is funny because Louisa would often state within her books that she was addressing her male readers as well as her female ones! I bet she would be irritated to know that after she died, her stories got pigeonholed as "girls' books" for so long!

And yes, I definitely know what a girl's bike looks like -- no bar in front, right? They actually do still make them! I have a lovely one gathering dust in the garage. Perhaps that would be another good "lockdown" project: pull it out of mothballs and get it ready for a nice ride, when it's safe to go out again! 8-)
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

KevinS wrote: March 25th, 2020, 6:21 am When I was growing up, most, if not all, boys did not read Alcott. It just wasn't done; like riding a girl's bike. (I wonder if anyone today knows what they look like.)
I always preferred riding a girls bike because I have very short legs and the frames were smaller :lol:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Ha! Rode my wife's "girl bike" the other day. But, may the time is here to get me a real "boy's bike!" :lol:

And, Louisa May Alcott was just part of the set of the card game "Authors" when I was a kid.

At least she wrote under he own name. So many women, even well into the 20th century wrote under male pseudonyms. Alice Bradley Sheldon, an award-winning science fiction writer kept her real identity a secret for decades, writing under the name James Triptree, Jr. Some top authors of the time declared that her books could not possibly be the work of a woman. I think they must have been embarrassed when the truth came out.
~ Larry
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

Oh yes -- Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell send their regards! :D

You know, this whole "boy's bike/girl's bike" thing seems kinda silly to me. Maybe because I'm a girl, so I don't get it. But um, why exactly do you guys need that extra bar anyway? (without getting too TMI! :wink: )
silverquill wrote: March 25th, 2020, 11:05 am Ha! Rode my wife's "girl bike" the other day. But, may the time is here to get me a real "boy's bike!" :lol:

And, Louisa May Alcott was just part of the set of the card game "Authors" when I was a kid.

At least she wrote under he own name. So many women, even well into the 20th century wrote under male pseudonyms. Alice Bradley Sheldon, an award-winning science fiction writer kept her real identity a secret for decades, writing under the name James Triptree, Jr. Some top authors of the time declared that her books could not possibly be the work of a woman. I think they must have been embarrassed when the truth came out.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

stoogeswoman wrote: March 25th, 2020, 11:14 am You know, this whole "boy's bike/girl's bike" thing seems kinda silly to me. Maybe because I'm a girl, so I don't get it. But um, why exactly do you guys need that extra bar anyway? (without getting too TMI! :wink: )
It is because in the early days of bicycling "ladies" still wore ankle length skirts which would have been awkward on a bike with a crossbar.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Rapunzelina wrote: March 25th, 2020, 6:15 am Let me MC this project.

Dramatic Readings are often the longest running projects, that require the most work and commitment from the people involved. That is why we asked if you were aware that there was already a DR version of the work, in which case you might decide to direct your efforts to another work.
But since you're already aware of it, and still intend to continue, of course there's no rule stopping you from reading the same work again.

Indeed Librivox has always been more about the reader than the listener in most respects, like how we do not require professional recording setup in order to participate, and Librivox has been "accused" of having low quality recordings. So the reader comes first, and a reader who contributes is much more appreciated than a listener who complains :mrgreen:

It's great to see the enthusiasm from the people involved so far!
Thank you so much Rapunzelina!!
And OMG thank you from everyone who's replied... especially now, with everything about the Coronavirus, we all need a little hope and that sense of community, even if we can't be together in person. :9:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

KevinS wrote: March 25th, 2020, 6:21 am I have a confession to make. And penance. When I was growing up, most, if not all, boys did not read Alcott. It just wasn't done; like riding a girl's bike. (I wonder if anyone today knows what they look like.)

Anyway, if there is a small, little part in this, I'd like to help. Some say one can't work one's way to heaven, but I'm willing to try.
There are a few one-or-two chapter roles in the character doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F_GGcVGFRNyfNXw9afSbPVDcCCg50yuTwO_iRK5T2lg/edit

They're really small, but I think there are a couple slightly larger ones as well.

I think I've seen ladies' bikes before... it's strange, now there isn't a difference mostly.
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Mr. March, please.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

KevinS wrote: March 25th, 2020, 4:15 pm Mr. March, please.
Of course!
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

I'm trying to fill in the MW right now, excuse the delay.
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

I've just realized how long it's going to take me to fill in the MW... sorry, it might be a few days for it to be fully complete, but I will get there eventually!
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Just poking my head in, Elijah :)

If your time frame is still what we'd been discussing, go ahead and sign me up
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)