COMPLETE SOLO Uncanny Stories by May Sinclair - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RhiannonD

Post by RhiannonD »

Uncanny Stories by May Sinclair (1863 - 1946).

This project is complete. All audio files can be found on the catalog page: https://librivox.org/uncanny-stories-by-may-sinclair/

Uncanny Stories is a collection of tales of the supernatural. Eerie, startling and, of course, macabre, they are also terribly civilized and incredibly filmic. May Sinclair was an innovator of the moden thriller fiercely admired by H.P. Lovecraft; a late Victorian who was also a precursor to Virigina Woolf. She combines the traditional ghost story with a twisted psychological approach incorporating the revelations of Freud and Einstein. Two lovers are doomed to repeat their empty affair for the rest of eternity...A female telepath is forced to face the consequences of her actions...The victim of a violent murder has the last laugh on his assailant....An amateur philosopher discovers that there is more to Heaven than meets the eye. It is best to read these tales in your bed on a dark, windy night while the Gothic and supernatural swirl about you. If your floorboards creak, then so much the better. ( )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59165
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Horror & Supernatural Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Uncanny Stories. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Uncanny Stories, by May Sinclair. "

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Uncanny Stories by May Sinclair. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Uncanny Stories, by May Sinclair. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename uncannystories_##_sinclair_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. uncannystories_01_sinclair_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: May Sinclair
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Uncanny Stories

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kathrinee
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Hi, Rhiannon, I can set up this project for you and be your MC (meta-coordinator). I´ll be back in a little bit with a Magic Window (MW).

ETA:
There we go!

As a soloist you will be your own BC (book coordinator). That means you will fill out and set up our own MW.
Here are instructions for how to log into the MW for the first time https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs
And this document explains how to BC https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ

I will add a ~ to the title line so people who are looking for something to prooflisten to know that this project is looking for a prooflistener.

Let's stay in the Launch Pad for a day or two or three. :) Please holler if you have any questions!
Kathrine
RhiannonD

Post by RhiannonD »

Thanks so much! I have read some chapters here now, but this will be my first solo. My county currently has a "shelter in place" which gives me not much else to do for the next few weeks so I should hopefully get out the first couple stories during that time. I'll probably have some questions, so I really appreciate the help!
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

Hello! This looks interesting, I would be happy to PL!
~Tiffany
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Tiffany,

Welcome on board!

Rhiannon,

Have you been able to log in to the Magic Window? I'll fill in the title of the first story, then you can do the rest, ok? Please let me know if you have any trouble. When you're able to log in and navigate it, we'll move out of the launch pad :)
Kathrine
RhiannonD

Post by RhiannonD »

kathrinee wrote: March 28th, 2020, 5:46 pm Tiffany,

Welcome on board!

Rhiannon,

Have you been able to log in to the Magic Window? I'll fill in the title of the first story, then you can do the rest, ok? Please let me know if you have any trouble. When you're able to log in and navigate it, we'll move out of the launch pad :)
I have logged into the Magic Window, thank you for all the links and docs to help because this is definitely going to be a learning experience! I have added the rest of the section titles and even uploaded the first chapter successfully!

And yes, welcome Tiffany! I appreciate your PL. My main weak spot always seems to be volume, so definitely let me know if that (or obviously anything else) needs to be adjusted.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Awesome! I'll move this project over to Going Solo. Rhiannon, next time you log into the Magic Window, would you please add the running time for the first section in the column for Notes? I use it to verify that things are transferred correctly when the project is over and I put it in the catalog. :)

Hang on, we're flying! :thumbs:
Kathrine
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

That first section is PL OK! Sorry for the delay somehow i missed there was a chapter there :roll:
~Tiffany
RhiannonD

Post by RhiannonD »

fiddlesticks wrote: April 11th, 2020, 8:39 am That first section is PL OK! Sorry for the delay somehow i missed there was a chapter there :roll:
Thank you! No worries about delay, I appreciate you volunteering to PL!

I've got another chapter up, and I've added the duration times in the notes :)
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

Section 2 is PL OK!
That was such a sad story :cry:
~Tiffany
RhiannonD

Post by RhiannonD »

Just coming to update that I am working on "Flaw in the Crystal". It's a longer story and I haven't had as much time to record, but I'm chipping away at it. Thanks again for the PL, Tiffany!
RhiannonD

Post by RhiannonD »

I had to break up "The Flaw in the Crystal" to 3 parts because it is a much longer story than I realized. All are ready for PL. I'm not sure if I needed to have the whole intro on each part, so I can remove if necessary or do whatever to make it flow best. Thanks!
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

RhiannonD wrote: May 26th, 2020, 12:04 pm I had to break up "The Flaw in the Crystal" to 3 parts because it is a much longer story than I realized. All are ready for PL. I'm not sure if I needed to have the whole intro on each part, so I can remove if necessary or do whatever to make it flow best. Thanks!
You can use the regular intro or the soloist intro disclaimer, up to you :)

By the way, do we need more sections in the MW?
Kathrine
RhiannonD

Post by RhiannonD »

kathrinee wrote: May 27th, 2020, 4:12 pm
RhiannonD wrote: May 26th, 2020, 12:04 pm I had to break up "The Flaw in the Crystal" to 3 parts because it is a much longer story than I realized. All are ready for PL. I'm not sure if I needed to have the whole intro on each part, so I can remove if necessary or do whatever to make it flow best. Thanks!
You can use the regular intro or the soloist intro disclaimer, up to you :)

By the way, do we need more sections in the MW?
Thanks!

I'm not sure about needing more for the MW. As far as I can tell this was the longest story and I think the others should still be under an hour.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Ok :) I can easily add more at any time if necessary!
Kathrine