FULL [DR] Little Men by Louisa May Alcott - rap

Plays and other dramatic works
Post Reply
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 46715
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » March 25th, 2020, 5:57 am

If no other MC steps up, I'll MC this as soon as Andrew the Glad is cataloged. It just needs final PL.
Hatfields & McCoys sensationalist account: An American Vendetta
Jack London short stories: The Strength of the Strong
Mystery: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9400
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » March 25th, 2020, 6:15 am

Let me MC this project.

Dramatic Readings are often the longest running projects, that require the most work and commitment from the people involved. That is why we asked if you were aware that there was already a DR version of the work, in which case you might decide to direct your efforts to another work.
But since you're already aware of it, and still intend to continue, of course there's no rule stopping you from reading the same work again.

Indeed Librivox has always been more about the reader than the listener in most respects, like how we do not require professional recording setup in order to participate, and Librivox has been "accused" of having low quality recordings. So the reader comes first, and a reader who contributes is much more appreciated than a listener who complains :mrgreen:

It's great to see the enthusiasm from the people involved so far!

KevinS
Posts: 7969
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » March 25th, 2020, 6:21 am

I have a confession to make. And penance. When I was growing up, most, if not all, boys did not read Alcott. It just wasn't done; like riding a girl's bike. (I wonder if anyone today knows what they look like.)

Anyway, if there is a small, little part in this, I'd like to help. Some say one can't work one's way to heaven, but I'm willing to try.
In a gadda da vida, honey

stoogeswoman
Posts: 894
Joined: February 10th, 2016, 10:02 am

Post by stoogeswoman » March 25th, 2020, 7:27 am

KevinS wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 6:21 am
I have a confession to make. And penance. When I was growing up, most, if not all, boys did not read Alcott. It just wasn't done; like riding a girl's bike. (I wonder if anyone today knows what they look like.)
Which is funny because Louisa would often state within her books that she was addressing her male readers as well as her female ones! I bet she would be irritated to know that after she died, her stories got pigeonholed as "girls' books" for so long!

And yes, I definitely know what a girl's bike looks like -- no bar in front, right? They actually do still make them! I have a lovely one gathering dust in the garage. Perhaps that would be another good "lockdown" project: pull it out of mothballs and get it ready for a nice ride, when it's safe to go out again! 8-)

alanmapstone
Posts: 1818
Joined: February 15th, 2012, 12:20 pm
Location: Oxford

Post by alanmapstone » March 25th, 2020, 10:10 am

KevinS wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 6:21 am
When I was growing up, most, if not all, boys did not read Alcott. It just wasn't done; like riding a girl's bike. (I wonder if anyone today knows what they look like.)
I always preferred riding a girls bike because I have very short legs and the frames were smaller :lol:
alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose

silverquill
Posts: 13924
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » March 25th, 2020, 11:05 am

Ha! Rode my wife's "girl bike" the other day. But, may the time is here to get me a real "boy's bike!" :lol:

And, Louisa May Alcott was just part of the set of the card game "Authors" when I was a kid.

At least she wrote under he own name. So many women, even well into the 20th century wrote under male pseudonyms. Alice Bradley Sheldon, an award-winning science fiction writer kept her real identity a secret for decades, writing under the name James Triptree, Jr. Some top authors of the time declared that her books could not possibly be the work of a woman. I think they must have been embarrassed when the truth came out.
~Larry

stoogeswoman
Posts: 894
Joined: February 10th, 2016, 10:02 am

Post by stoogeswoman » March 25th, 2020, 11:14 am

Oh yes -- Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell send their regards! :D

You know, this whole "boy's bike/girl's bike" thing seems kinda silly to me. Maybe because I'm a girl, so I don't get it. But um, why exactly do you guys need that extra bar anyway? (without getting too TMI! :wink: )
silverquill wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 11:05 am
Ha! Rode my wife's "girl bike" the other day. But, may the time is here to get me a real "boy's bike!" :lol:

And, Louisa May Alcott was just part of the set of the card game "Authors" when I was a kid.

At least she wrote under he own name. So many women, even well into the 20th century wrote under male pseudonyms. Alice Bradley Sheldon, an award-winning science fiction writer kept her real identity a secret for decades, writing under the name James Triptree, Jr. Some top authors of the time declared that her books could not possibly be the work of a woman. I think they must have been embarrassed when the truth came out.

alanmapstone
Posts: 1818
Joined: February 15th, 2012, 12:20 pm
Location: Oxford

Post by alanmapstone » March 25th, 2020, 12:14 pm

stoogeswoman wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 11:14 am
You know, this whole "boy's bike/girl's bike" thing seems kinda silly to me. Maybe because I'm a girl, so I don't get it. But um, why exactly do you guys need that extra bar anyway? (without getting too TMI! :wink: )
It is because in the early days of bicycling "ladies" still wore ankle length skirts which would have been awkward on a bike with a crossbar.
alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose

JayKitty76
Posts: 1758
Joined: August 3rd, 2018, 3:16 pm
Location: Hogwarts (I'm a Ravenclaw)
Contact:

Post by JayKitty76 » March 25th, 2020, 3:15 pm

Rapunzelina wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 6:15 am
Let me MC this project.

Dramatic Readings are often the longest running projects, that require the most work and commitment from the people involved. That is why we asked if you were aware that there was already a DR version of the work, in which case you might decide to direct your efforts to another work.
But since you're already aware of it, and still intend to continue, of course there's no rule stopping you from reading the same work again.

Indeed Librivox has always been more about the reader than the listener in most respects, like how we do not require professional recording setup in order to participate, and Librivox has been "accused" of having low quality recordings. So the reader comes first, and a reader who contributes is much more appreciated than a listener who complains :mrgreen:

It's great to see the enthusiasm from the people involved so far!
Thank you so much Rapunzelina!!
And OMG thank you from everyone who's replied... especially now, with everything about the Coronavirus, we all need a little hope and that sense of community, even if we can't be together in person. :9:
Rachel
Dumbledore watched the doe fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears.
"After all this time?"
"Always," said Snape
.

JayKitty76
Posts: 1758
Joined: August 3rd, 2018, 3:16 pm
Location: Hogwarts (I'm a Ravenclaw)
Contact:

Post by JayKitty76 » March 25th, 2020, 3:26 pm

KevinS wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 6:21 am
I have a confession to make. And penance. When I was growing up, most, if not all, boys did not read Alcott. It just wasn't done; like riding a girl's bike. (I wonder if anyone today knows what they look like.)

Anyway, if there is a small, little part in this, I'd like to help. Some say one can't work one's way to heaven, but I'm willing to try.
There are a few one-or-two chapter roles in the character doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F_GGcVGFRNyfNXw9afSbPVDcCCg50yuTwO_iRK5T2lg/edit

They're really small, but I think there are a couple slightly larger ones as well.

I think I've seen ladies' bikes before... it's strange, now there isn't a difference mostly.
Rachel
Dumbledore watched the doe fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears.
"After all this time?"
"Always," said Snape
.

KevinS
Posts: 7969
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » March 25th, 2020, 4:15 pm

Mr. March, please.
In a gadda da vida, honey

JayKitty76
Posts: 1758
Joined: August 3rd, 2018, 3:16 pm
Location: Hogwarts (I'm a Ravenclaw)
Contact:

Post by JayKitty76 » March 25th, 2020, 4:16 pm

KevinS wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 4:15 pm
Mr. March, please.
Of course!
Rachel
Dumbledore watched the doe fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears.
"After all this time?"
"Always," said Snape
.

JayKitty76
Posts: 1758
Joined: August 3rd, 2018, 3:16 pm
Location: Hogwarts (I'm a Ravenclaw)
Contact:

Post by JayKitty76 » March 25th, 2020, 4:18 pm

I'm trying to fill in the MW right now, excuse the delay.
Rachel
Dumbledore watched the doe fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears.
"After all this time?"
"Always," said Snape
.

JayKitty76
Posts: 1758
Joined: August 3rd, 2018, 3:16 pm
Location: Hogwarts (I'm a Ravenclaw)
Contact:

Post by JayKitty76 » March 25th, 2020, 4:25 pm

I've just realized how long it's going to take me to fill in the MW... sorry, it might be a few days for it to be fully complete, but I will get there eventually!
Rachel
Dumbledore watched the doe fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears.
"After all this time?"
"Always," said Snape
.

LCaulkins
Posts: 1688
Joined: October 6th, 2019, 10:22 am
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Post by LCaulkins » March 25th, 2020, 5:59 pm

Just poking my head in, Elijah :)

If your time frame is still what we'd been discussing, go ahead and sign me up
~Lynette in Colorado, USA

My Sections

Post Reply