COMPLETE [ANIMALS]The Living Animals of the World, Volume 1: Mammals-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

StevenW wrote: March 21st, 2020, 11:21 pm I would like to claim Section 59 (The Sloths, The Anteaters), and Section 61 (Armadillos, The Pichiciago, The Peludo, The Pangolin, The Aardvark), please.

As an aside, in the Magic Window on page 1 of this thread, I noticed something I thought was a bit strange. In the text, Section 61 (Armadillos...) actually comes before Section 60 (The Marsupials...). Can someone clear this up?

Thanks.
Hi, Steven! Thanks so much for poiting this out, it has an easy explanation: the sections in the window are drag-an-drop movable for the BC. So, probably, when I assigned the Kangaroo section, I dragged it to the wrong place. This function of the window is great for when one needs to change the order of sections when the project has already started, since it prevents us from having to retype everything, but also it means one has to be careful when dealing with the window, because if instead of just clicking somehwre you hold it for a bit too long, it can change order. I try to be super careful with it, but in this case, I probably dragged it and changed the order of the two sections. So, I am actually assigning you sections 59 and 60. Thanks!
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

FraserP wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 8:30 am Hi Leni,

I would like to claim Section 4 (The Guerezas and Guenons, The Macaques, The Baboons).
Thanks for claiming. I was kinda sad the poor Baboons were being left out.
Leni
=================
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Hia,

Can I claim sections 40, 41, and 42, please?

Thanks
Nettle :^]
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Nettle wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 10:25 am Hia,

Can I claim sections 40, 41, and 42, please?

Thanks
Sure thing, happy recording!
Leni
=================
FraserP

Post by FraserP »

Hi Leni,

here is Section 3: "The Dog-Shaped Monkeys"

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/livinganimals1_03_cornish_128kb.mp3

Duration: 8:32

Now I can start recording those lonely baboons...
Cheers,
Fraser Prescott
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

FraserP wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 5:03 pm Hi Leni,

here is Section 3: "The Dog-Shaped Monkeys"

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/livinganimals1_03_cornish_128kb.mp3

Duration: 8:32

Now I can start recording those lonely baboons...
Poor baboons... :help: :lol:

Thanks for the recording!
Leni
=================
csinclair

Post by csinclair »

I would like to read 57, The Hippopotamus, if I may.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

csinclair wrote: March 24th, 2020, 10:42 am I would like to read 57, The Hippopotamus, if I may.
Hello, Csinclair, and welcome to Librivox. I see you have already done your one-minute test, so all I need to know to assign you the section is under what name or pseudonym you would like to appear in our catalog. Thanks!
Leni
=================
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

lnolletti wrote: March 21st, 2020, 7:37 am Just finished section 36
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/livinganimals1_36_cornish_128kb.mp3

The duration is 8:11. Thanks!
Hmm... Did you get your specs all OKed with the one minute test?

PL notes:
*Volume: at 96 dB, it is 4 dB above our range, and 7 dB higher than what we generally aim for.
*Beginning and ending silences are both plenty long. Beginning silence should be "no more than .5 - 1 second" (it's over 1 sec). End silence should be "~5 seconds" (this is over 8 sec).
*The reading itself is enjoyable to hear! However, every so often the sound fades out to where you can't understand a word or 2. :hmm: ~1:29 & ~3:01 are examples of what I'm talking about. I have no idea what would cause this, so I'm hoping someone can help you figure that out as well.

We will need a new file uploaded with these issues corrected, then I'll try to get back with you as soon as possible. (I've had some very busy weeks, so I'm behind in PLing right now.)

I sincerely hope this won't daunt your enthusiasm for LibriVox! Because everything does get easier and more fun with time and experience. You've come to a good place, and I wish you many happy hours of recording! :)
~Rosebud
MDoorkeeper

Post by MDoorkeeper »

Section 29 "The Walrus, The True Seals, The Common Seal" is uploaded and ready for PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/livinganimals1_29_cornish_128kb.mp3

Time duration: 16:10.

(I am the eggman)
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it"
--Mark Twain
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

StevenW wrote: March 19th, 2020, 11:48 pm Just uploaded Section 23, Domestic Dogs.

27:06
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/livinganimals1_23_cornish_128kb.mp3

It's interesting to hear how our standards and understanding have changed since this was written. I liked the picture of the champion "Maltese terrier"--it looks way messier than my groomer wife would ever let ours get! Also since this book's publication, Malteses are no longer classified as terriers. We have now fully admitted to ourselves that Malteses are completely purposeless toys. (Not that that's such a bad thing!)
PL OK :thumbs:

I can think of a few dogs he didn't mention. Our beautiful Bernese Mountain Dogs were completely left out, while my Min Pin/Rat Terrier only had relatives mentioned! :) But I won't tell them, so they won't be offended.
~Rosebud
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

MDoorkeeper wrote: March 25th, 2020, 12:16 am Section 29 "The Walrus, The True Seals, The Common Seal" is uploaded and ready for PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/livinganimals1_29_cornish_128kb.mp3

Time duration: 16:10.

(I am the eggman)
:lol: :lol:

Thanks much!
Leni
=================
CookieR123

Post by CookieR123 »

May I please claim Section 44 (The Goats...)? Thanks!
Last edited by CookieR123 on March 26th, 2020, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

JudeSomers wrote: March 20th, 2020, 7:34 pm Section 26 - all you ever want to know about raccoons and weasels - is now uploaded. Length 28:38

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/livinganimals1_26_cornish_128kb.mp3

cheers
Jude
PL OK :thumbs:

Thank you for passing on the knowledge! :wink:
~Rosebud
csinclair

Post by csinclair »

Leni wrote: March 24th, 2020, 7:44 pm
csinclair wrote: March 24th, 2020, 10:42 am I would like to read 57, The Hippopotamus, if I may.
Hello, Csinclair, and welcome to Librivox. I see you have already done your one-minute test, so all I need to know to assign you the section is under what name or pseudonym you would like to appear in our catalog. Thanks!
Thank you! csinclair is fine for my catalog name.