SOLO Mutual Aid: A Factor of Evolution by Peter Kropotkin-ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
LittleMyshkin

Post by LittleMyshkin » March 21st, 2020, 9:51 pm

Thanks Anne! I think I understand those last two steps in the magic window. I should be able to put the rest up fairly quickly now.

chulsky

Post by chulsky » March 22nd, 2020, 8:38 am

PL notes for sec.0

Dear Mr. Myshkin (what's your preferred name?)

Good book choice! I thought it should be interesting, and you deliver!

General notes:
1. I don't see Appendix in the Gutenberg copy of the book. Please make sure you read from Text source (only read from this text!),
2. At 84.3 dB, the volume is too low. You could detect problems like this using Checker (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker).
Audacity could raise the volume some 5 dB, however that would lead to clipping, therefore you would need to use Compressor first...
You can ask questions here or PM me, and there are audio editing resources, including videos, at LV wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Anyway, before starting sound engineering, let's fix the track content:
  • 2:25 rustling sound
  • 5:30 a pause 4.5 sec. Non-fiction books do not need pauses longer than 2 sec.
  • 6:10 "in his" repeated
  • 7:35 "Eckerman" repeated
  • 8:30 stumble at "works"
  • 9:00 dogs barking, babies crying, emergency sirens -- we all have to deal with that. Just repeat the sentence and erase the messed up fragment at the editing stage.
  • 9:07-9:37 foreign sentence repeated. LV does not require readers to sound perfect in foreign languages. However, to sound reasonable, I use the "speaker" button in the Google Translate tool to hear how natives say the phrase.
  • 11:00 stumble
  • 11:35-11:45 restarted sentence
  • 11:53 stumble
  • 14:40 - 14:50 I don't see this footnote in the Gutenberg copy
  • 15:00 restarted sentence
  • 17:55 "facilities," I hear "faculties"
  • 19:45 "these ... those" stumble
  • 20:12 stumble
I hope it doesn't look overwhelming, we all went through this learning curve :shock:
Looking forward to the rest of the book!
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
Readers invited: Стихи Веневитинова

LittleMyshkin

Post by LittleMyshkin » March 22nd, 2020, 12:02 pm

Hey, thanks for listening and for all the revisions and tips. Eric will work fine.
I have to apologize for having you listen to the unedited version (but now you know where to check the corrections). It does seem to require some learning to get these recordings onto librivox, yes.
I read out of the 1972 print edition which is a reprint of the 1914 edition and includes the appendix and a preface to the 1914 edition, which I also already recorded with the rest of the book. The 1902 edition also appears to have had the appendix - http://dwardmac.pitzer.edu/Anarchist_archives/kropotkin/mutaidcontents.html - Anarchy Archives and here on Amazon -https://www.amazon.com/Mutual-Aid-Evolution-Kropotkin-Collection/dp/1549909851/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=mutual+aid+kropotkin&qid=1584903625&sr=8-2&swrs=6AEB7A9FDFD34CA9E2BF865782FC0E82. I'd be happy to post the 1914 preface but I don't know if I can meet librivox's standards here.
I'm going to get the correct file posted and hopefully increase the decibels.
Thanks
Eric

LittleMyshkin

Post by LittleMyshkin » March 22nd, 2020, 1:58 pm

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » March 22nd, 2020, 2:19 pm

Re text usage
It is really important that you use the text you give in the first post . We must use texts that are clearly PD , not ones that have been improved or cobbled together or made suitable for young minds, or all the other things that happen, because all of these things can attract copyright.
If the copyright status is challenged the most likely thing that will happen is that it gets taken down either by us or Archive and it has happened. Even if the writers don't challenge it, it can be challenged by the estate, who may well not hold the views held by the writer.

And this has happened. I can think of 5 books without really trying too hard. And it was a waste of all the volunteers time, So please - if it isn't in the text in the first post don't use it. I know it seems nitpicking. But it is not.

Anne

chulsky

Post by chulsky » March 23rd, 2020, 6:00 am

Thank you, Anne, for the explanation!

Eric, thank you for the quick turnaround.
However the entire "Section [number] ... visit: librivox DOT org" intro is missing... That tells me that you not just made the corrections I noted, but made your own changes too, maybe unintentional. Which means I have to re-PL the entire section again. Also, the <<6:10 (now 5:45) "in his" repeated>> was not corrected. :hmm:

I don't mind to re-PL once more, but please, do your part, listen through the section and make sure all the corrections are in place, and no other changes introduced. If you feel new changes are needed, please list them in a forum reply.

If lost, Anne could help you to restore the original recording.
Just a tip: It is practical to start corrections from the end, that prevents the timestamps of my feedback from sliding.

Looking forward to the new iteration.
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
Readers invited: Стихи Веневитинова

kwetbvr

Post by kwetbvr » June 28th, 2020, 3:42 am

@LittleMyshkin has there been any update to this?

I'm greatly looking forward to this, especially as recent events have shown that States are incapable of prioritizing the welfare of their citizens, and that--in many places-Mutual Aid is a necessity to save countless lives through the pandemic. I know a lot of people are talking about and doing Mutual Aid these days, and having a more accessible version available on LibriVox would greatly benefit these folks!

I listened to your intro and it sounded GREAT! Please let me know when you expect to finish the next chapter.

Thank you

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » June 28th, 2020, 4:02 am

If you are impatient, there is completed version in the catalogue for you to listen to https://librivox.org/mutual-aid-a-factor-of-evolution-by-peter-kropotkin/.

Anne