One Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Tilgen

Post by Tilgen » March 20th, 2020, 1:06 pm

Hello, here is the test recording. If there is anything I need to adjust please let me know. Thanks.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_tilgen.mp3

Audacity
Windows 10
Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Microphone (USB to XLR)

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » March 20th, 2020, 5:28 pm

Welcome!

Sounds great! :thumbs:

You have a couple plosives. This is when your breath directly hits the microphone on letters like P, F, or TH. Move your microphone a little bit to the side of your mouth if a desktop mic, or a little above or below your mouth if a headset mic. This will help the air pass by the mic instead of directly hitting it. Alternately, you could get or make a wind screen. :)

The "Checker" program flags your file as having a lot of background noise. It appears to be in the really low tones, though, so I can't hear it on my cheap earbuds. :roll: You could leave it as-is, or explore using noise removal or a high-pass filter (which is risky, with your rich, bassy voice). Or... how is your mic mounted? If it's on a stand on a table, perhaps try putting a folded washcloth or hand towel under it to absorb any low vibrations picked up from the desk. :hmm:

My biggest concern is the plosives, though.

Are you comfortable making these adjustments without a second test? If so, go for it, and I'll mark this off as OK. If you'd rather have a second opinion on a new test, post the link in this same thread and I'll check it out.
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David

Tilgen

Post by Tilgen » March 20th, 2020, 7:06 pm

I agree with the plosives. In this new recording, I did it while standing up and having the microphone slightly below my mouth. I have used noise removal for the other recording, I also raised the sensitivity from 6 to 12. My microphone doesn't have a wind screen but does have a wind foam.

Here's the new recording:

In the previous recording, I used equalization for a bass boost so I didn't use it in this new recording. That may have been the reason for the background noise but instead, I just amplified the recording this time. My microphone is mounted on my desk with a scissor arm stand that has foam underneath to prevent vibrations.

Again if there are any other adjustments that need to be made please let me know and I'll be more than happy to do another test.
Last edited by Tilgen on March 20th, 2020, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tilgen

Post by Tilgen » March 20th, 2020, 7:23 pm

TriciaG wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 5:28 pm
Welcome!

Sounds great! :thumbs:

You have a couple plosives. This is when your breath directly hits the microphone on letters like P, F, or TH. Move your microphone a little bit to the side of your mouth if a desktop mic, or a little above or below your mouth if a headset mic. This will help the air pass by the mic instead of directly hitting it. Alternately, you could get or make a wind screen. :)

The "Checker" program flags your file as having a lot of background noise. It appears to be in the really low tones, though, so I can't hear it on my cheap earbuds. :roll: You could leave it as-is, or explore using noise removal or a high-pass filter (which is risky, with your rich, bassy voice). Or... how is your mic mounted? If it's on a stand on a table, perhaps try putting a folded washcloth or hand towel under it to absorb any low vibrations picked up from the desk. :hmm:

My biggest concern is the plosives, though.

Are you comfortable making these adjustments without a second test? If so, go for it, and I'll mark this off as OK. If you'd rather have a second opinion on a new test, post the link in this same thread and I'll check it out.
I agree with the plosives. In this new recording, I did it while standing up and having the microphone slightly below my mouth. I have used noise removal for the other recording, I also raised the sensitivity from 6 to 12. My microphone doesn't have a wind screen but does have a wind foam.

Here's the new recording:

In the previous recording, I used equalization for a bass boost so I didn't use it in this new recording. That may have been the reason for the background noise but instead, I just amplified the recording this time. My microphone is mounted on my desk with a scissor arm stand that has foam underneath to prevent vibrations.

Again if there are any other adjustments that need to be made please let me know and I'll be more than happy to do another test.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » March 21st, 2020, 4:44 am

Very good! Sounds better, and there's no flag on the file for noise.

A little less bassy, but plenty of nice, rich baritone. ;)

You're all set. Have fun!
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David