Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

TriciaG wrote: March 8th, 2020, 3:29 pm Ah, I understand what you're saying now.

It might be wise to PM the cover maker and let them know. I'll work on that, unless you would like to. :)
Thank you for telling me.

I just wanted to have a look if I find something about the project here and find this heavy discussion :lol:

So I'll explain it for Michelle here, too, a bit more detailed than in the pm:

The first cover came written with "humane" and as I wanted to have the succeeding covers match the first one as close as possible together, I wrote them with the e, too.

As the Gutenberg-titles are written with the e, too (the texts from Locke are 10615 and 10616; the other one is from a different author), I am for sure not the one to alter it to modern writing. Unfortunately there are no transcribers notes and I didn't hunt down the original text to look how often there occurs which writing, so I guess you just have to live with the "wrong" writing, except Amy or Craig are willing to change the title of the catalogue :)
msfry

Post by msfry »

:mrgreen: As Captain Kirk would say: "Well, there you have it. There it is." :mrgreen:
david wales

Post by david wales »

Hello wonderful admins,

Just saw this new service by the Smithsonian Institution. Says it gives permission for any use. Can we use these images in our covers?

Thanks for your input.

https://www.si.edu/openaccess?mi_u=2127527
Peace, David
david wales

Post by david wales »

Here's the email I got about the Smithsonian:

... nearly 2.8 million of the Smithsonian's collection items are now available for public use?

February 25, 2020 marked the launch of Open Access—an initiative to make more of the Smithsonian's collections available for use by the public. Open Access items include text, still images, sound recordings, research datasets, 3D models, collections data, and more.

Open Access is an important new way for the Smithsonian to achieve its mission of creating and sharing knowledge for 21st century audiences. The initiative makes the Smithsonian's resources available to anyone, anywhere and empowers people to explore and create in exciting ways through unprecedented access and use of nearly 2.8 million 2D and 3D digital items—with many more to come.

Open Access items carry a CC0 designation, meaning they are in the public domain and free of copyright restrictions. You can use anything with a CC0 designation for any purpose, free of charge, without further permission from the Smithsonian.

The Smithsonian invites you to download, share, and reuse our open access assets for art and creative projects, education, scholarly research, digital media projects, publications, merchandising, and more—all without charge or restrictions from the Smithsonian.

Why does it matter?

Open Access brings the Smithsonian's mission to create and share knowledge to life for everyone, everywhere. By making millions of collection objects and data accessible online, Smithsonian experts hope to empower people of all ages to learn, explore, and adapt existing knowledge to understand and tackle challenges facing the world today.

How can I learn more?

Explore the Smithsonian Open Access website. All of the Smithsonian’s 19 museums, nine research centers, libraries, archives and the National Zoo contributed images or data to the launch. The program includes content across the arts, sciences, history, culture, technology and design, from portraits of historic American figures to 3D scans of dinosaur skeletons.

How can I help?

You can make groundbreaking work like this possible! Support the Smithsonian's mission to discover and share knowledge by making a tax-deductible gift or becoming a member today. Every gift provides critical unrestricted support that powers every Smithsonian museum, research institution and cultural center.
DONATE

JOIN

© 2020 Smithsonian Institution
1000 Jefferson Dr SW, Washington, DC 20560 Unsubscribe
Privacy Policy
Peace, David
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

david wales wrote: March 19th, 2020, 10:03 am Hello wonderful admins,

Just saw this new service by the Smithsonian Institution. Says it gives permission for any use. Can we use these images in our covers?

Thanks for your input.

https://www.si.edu/openaccess?mi_u=2127527
Yep! They say:
Open Access items carry what’s called a CC0 designation. This means the Smithsonian dedicates the digital asset into the public domain, meaning it is free of copyright restrictions and you can use it for any purpose, free of charge, without further permission from the Smithsonian.
I would still be careful about such things as company logos, etc.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks for the link, David. I'll check it out. :D
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It is a great idea - but as Tricia said we would need to be careful about logos , and also living people . And I noticed a Kermit the frog amongst them - I would think that Sesame Street had rights over that. So we would need to think of that too.
But on a quick look I'd love to use some of the ones I saw
msfry

Post by msfry »

How about this guy. Can I use him for the Short Sci Fi 67 cover?
https://www.si.edu/object/r2-d2-return-jedi:nmah_880209
It definitely says it's CC0 (lower right hand column)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'd say no. It's R2D2. Disney would be on us in a flash.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hmmm, I thought so. Well, then, does that call into question everything on the SI Open Access website?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

What Anne said:
annise wrote: March 19th, 2020, 11:45 am It is a great idea - but as Tricia said we would need to be careful about logos , and also living people . And I noticed a Kermit the frog amongst them - I would think that Sesame Street had rights over that. So we would need to think of that too.
But on a quick look I'd love to use some of the ones I saw
Stay away from living people, identifiable characters and logos, etc., and it should be OK. Just use more general stuff and older stuff, and if something is questionable, either don't use it or ask about it. :)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It does say under the image LHS that usage restrictions apply. Tricia, I'm not on my computer could you switch this lot to the chat thread please.

Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

My non-lawyer take on this kind of thing is that the Smithsonian hasn't copyrighted their image of the artwork, but that doesn't mean the artwork itself is public domain. We need public domain images of public domain art, so it's safest to stick with art produced before 1924 (or whatever the relevant year is for US copyright when you're looking).
Laurie Anne
msfry

Post by msfry »

annise wrote: March 19th, 2020, 1:27 pm It does say under the image LHS that usage restrictions apply.
Anne
Image LHS? What does this refer to?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Just taking a look at your link solved the mystery...

under the image, LEFT HAND SIDE

You will find a link that is entitled "Usage Condidions Apply", just as Anne said.
Try click on it and see what happens. :P
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com