Catalina

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
johnvagabond

Post by johnvagabond »

Hi - being new, I wanted to get going with Audacity but it is not supported by Catalina on a Mac and the workaround doesn't work. Does anybody know when a working version will become available?
schrm

Post by schrm »

johnvagabond wrote: January 14th, 2020, 3:01 am Hi - being new, I wanted to get going with Audacity but it is not supported by Catalina on a Mac and the workaround doesn't work. Does anybody know when a working version will become available?
what i saw, audacity as a project is aware of this and posted: https://www.audacityteam.org/macos-10-15-catalina-is-not-yet-supported-by-audacity/
(the following version 2.3.3 still has the red written comment that catalina is not supported)
seems to be a bigger problem...
sometimes, volunteer-works and open source projects are not that compatible with enterprises...
while we adviced people to use audacity, because most of us are using it, this seems to be not an option anymore.

we do have some threads about using garageband: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=73008
which are mainly supported by LikeManyWaters and her son :-D
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
rdellamartera

Post by rdellamartera »

Hi folks,
I was trying to record my 1-minute test with GarageBand on MacOS, because Audacity is not working anymore on Catalina, as you mentioned.

After a long time spent trying several procedures, I managed to create an MP3 file which has passed the Status test in Checker; if you are interested in how to do it, here are the steps:

1) Record your file in GarageBand (I am using v10.3.4); the file will be recorded in stereo mode (if somebody has found a way to record in mono, please shout out loud)

2) From GarageBand menu, select "Share -> iTunes"; the file will be automatically shared on iTunes

3) From "iTunes" menu item, select "Preferences", then select "Files"

4) Select the "Import Settings" button

5) Select the format -> MP3

6) Select "Custom settings"

7) Frequency: 256 kbps / Sampling: 44100 kHz / Mono (WATCH OUT: I know that the desired frequency in LV is 128 kbps, but if you select 128 kbps the iTunes encoder will assign 64 kbps to the MP3 converter, therefore you have to select the double of 128 kbps, i.e. 256 kbps)

8) Press OK

9) Select the file that you have previously shared on iTunes, then select the menu "File -> Convert -> Create MP3 version"

If you now drag and drop the converted MP3 file into Checker, in the worst-case scenario you will get a warning about the volume, which you need to adjust somehow (either by re-recording your file or by using some other tool).
Don't forget to add the ID3 tags.

Hope it helps.
Ciao!

Riccardo
Help us finishing the following projects:
- Favourite prayers: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=77741
- Antologia di poeteesse italiane: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=78179
YasmineHaggag

Post by YasmineHaggag »

Hey,
I have the same problem. Audacity no more works on Catalina. I tried the terminal thing but it didn't work. I tried GarageBand but I don't like it, it doesn't have the same options of cutting, repeating and replacing some parts, etc. Twisted Wave is not free. Other audio recorders are very simple, only good for a voice note, not a book recording...
Is there any other chances? Or will I have to wait for Audacity to develop a newer version... :roll:

Thanks for the help,
Yasmine
loon

Post by loon »

I see a workaround the Audacity folk have found:

https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=107162

You have to use the command line to get Audacity going. It sounds like it's smooth sailing after that (I haven't tried it, so ???)
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN