COMPLETE[JUVENILE FICTION] Rufus & Rose, by Horatio Alger, Jr. - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

It's yours!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
AlaynaMay

Post by AlaynaMay »

Sections 5 and 6 are PL okay! Sounding good, y'all!
SamhitaM26

Post by SamhitaM26 »

LCaulkins wrote: March 13th, 2020, 12:14 pm
SamhitaM26 wrote: March 13th, 2020, 10:58 am could i please do section/chapter number 10?
thank you
Yes, absolutely! I will reserve the section for you. Two things first:

1 - I'll need to know what name you want for your Catalog Reader page - this is the name the public will see on the audiobooks. Some folks use their real name, or their forum name (the one you've posted with), or a different made-up name. Just tell me what you want used, and I'll initiate your reader page. (Also, if you have a personal website, we can put your URL on it)

2 - Before you do the recording for this section, you will need to do the 1-Minute Test and post the file to the Listeners & Editors Wanted board.

It's not really a test, but is meant solely to make sure your system is set up properly before you do all the work of recording a full chapter. It would be a royal PAIN to have to re-do a whole chapter if something wasn't as it needs to be!

Here is the link: 1-Minute Test

That page contains a link for using Audacity, if that's the software you're recording with: [url="https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Audacity_1-2-3]Audacity 1-2-3[/url]

Each of these pages has specific step-by-step help for getting everything set up the way our files need to be done for the Archive. And if something is going whacky, Listeners & Editors is the board where folks will offer help. :) Glad to have you with us!
the name that I use is SamhitaM26, my name that appears on the forum.
TaylorRoark

Post by TaylorRoark »

LCaulkins wrote: March 13th, 2020, 1:25 pm
TaylorRoark wrote: March 13th, 2020, 1:04 pm I'll take Chapter 12. Thanks
Hey there :) I'll need to activate your Catalog Reader page - what name would you like used for that? (some folks use their real name, others use their forum name or a psuedonym). This is the name the public will see when they look at audiobooks.

And if you have a personal website, we can put the URL on it, too.
You can use my real name, Taylor Roark or TaylorRoark if it needs to be one word. No personal website for now but may get something up eventually. Presumably, URL links can be added later.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

TaylorRoark wrote: March 17th, 2020, 1:58 am
You can use my real name, Taylor Roark or TaylorRoark if it needs to be one word. No personal website for now but may get something up eventually. Presumably, URL links can be added later.
You are official! 8-) Here is your Reader Page: Taylor Roark

This page will link all the audiobooks you contribute to, finished and in process. It also has a link to lists of all the sections you are signed up for.

(Yes, you can ask an MC to add the URL at a later time.)

Thank you for helping with Rufus & Rose
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
vvocelli

Post by vvocelli »

Chapter 7 - Ready for Listening (10:15)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rufus_07_alger,jr_128kb.mp3

my FIRST real recording, editing and submission - so it may explain any edits... :D

Thanks!
Valentina
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thank you so much! It is in the MW, queued for PL :)
~Lynette * -
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

Blackboards are truly remarkable!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thanks, Tommy!
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

vvocelli wrote: March 17th, 2020, 12:30 pm Chapter 7 - Ready for Listening (10:15)

my FIRST real recording, editing and submission - so it may explain any edits... :D

Thanks!
Valentina
Hi, Valentina! I'll help Alayna with PLing for this one, since I'm sitting here, stir-crazy, with nothing happening in a house by myself all day - all week - probably all month! Pandemic fun, eh?

Hooray for your first section! You have a really terrific reading style. There is one necessary edit before this can be checked off - at the very ending, can you clip off the "End of Rufus & Rose. . ." (everything after "Recording by Valentina Vocelli") That final ending statement for the book is only for the very last section. ;D

Is it OK to pass on a couple constructive comments for future recordings? These are purely offered since it's your first section, and I remember loving it when folks would give me specific things to improve the next time around.

There are some plosives here and there - usually on S's versus P's. I'm pretty sure this will resolve by using a slightly further distance from your microphone. Try it out and see if it works.

The other thought is that the volume level goes up and down a good bit within each sentence. I couldn't figure out if it seemed to me like your distance from the microphone was moving back and forth, or if perhaps the fadeout effect got used on all the phrases? Or another editing tool?

But your reading style is most excellent, and while your words are on the quick side, your pacing of phrases is very nice, and I had no trouble following the words and story. Thank you so much for this section!

Oh! And when you get that last ending clipped out, upload the new file, and we'll get it checked off for your first official section! 8-)
Last edited by LCaulkins on March 18th, 2020, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

TomHersant wrote: March 17th, 2020, 10:41 pm Here is Chapter 14, 12'14":
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rufus_14_alger,jr-128kb.mp3
Tommy
Hey, Tommy,

I just noticed this file name will need to be fixed so that the hyphen in front of 128kb is an underscore.

Let's let Alayna PL this first, so that you can do any other change at the same time. :)
~Lynette * -
vvocelli

Post by vvocelli »

Chapter 7 - 10:48

Hi Lynette,

I've updated the file (above). Thank you SO much for the feedback - I want to learn and get all the feedback I can get my ears and eyes on :). I know I read fast and have trouble with proper breathing so I'm actively working on that and will just likely keep reading, listening and reading so I can improve my craft. Also, I know the plosives aren't great so I have tried to do a makeshift pop filter until I get a better mic and pop filter set up.

The one thing that perplexes me is the fading in and out - I had it happen on my Mac and apparently it's happening on this PC as well. I'm not adding any effects at all except noise reduction. I don't fidget and sit really still, never move the mic, so I can't figure out why this is. Is there a way in audacity to make sure the fade in/out is off? I'm not enabling it at all.

AlSO, can I claim Chapters 11 & 13 (in addition to this 7 and 9). 8-)

Thanks,
Valentina
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

vvocelli wrote: March 19th, 2020, 9:29 am https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rufus_07_alger,jr_128kb.mp3
Chapter 7 - 10:48

Hi Lynette,

I've updated the file (above). Thank you SO much for the feedback - I want to learn and get all the feedback I can get my ears and eyes on :). I know I read fast and have trouble with proper breathing so I'm actively working on that and will just likely keep reading, listening and reading so I can improve my craft. Also, I know the plosives aren't great so I have tried to do a makeshift pop filter until I get a better mic and pop filter set up.

The one thing that perplexes me is the fading in and out - I had it happen on my Mac and apparently it's happening on this PC as well. I'm not adding any effects at all except noise reduction. I don't fidget and sit really still, never move the mic, so I can't figure out why this is. Is there a way in audacity to make sure the fade in/out is off? I'm not enabling it at all.

AlSO, can I claim Chapters 11 & 13 (in addition to this 7 and 9). 8-)

Thanks,
Valentina
Hmmm - yes, that really *is* weird about the volume changes! I don't have any idea, either, what it could be. Maybe somebody in the Need Help board could give you some input on that? I've never encountered it before, and am only an amateur, myself, at using the editing software. Sorry I can't be helpful here.

And you can absolutely have 11 and 13. Thanks!!
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

SamhitaM26 wrote: March 16th, 2020, 6:52 am
the name that I use is SamhitaM26, my name that appears on the forum.
Hi, Samhita! Here is the link to your personal Reader Page in the Catalog: SamhitaM26

It will link all the audiobooks that you work on, both finished and in progress.

It also has a link that will show you all the sections you are signed up to do. :)

Thank you very much for helping with this project! You'll be a great addition to LibriVox.
~Lynette * -
vvocelli

Post by vvocelli »

Ready for PL! Chapter 9 - 9:30

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rufus_09_alger,jr_128kb.mp3

(I still can't figure out why it fades in and out - I've reopened the post I had about it).