COMPLETE Poems of the Great War by Various - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
brucek

Post by brucek »

Poems of the Great War by Various ( - ).

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/poems-of-the-great-war-by-various/
At a time when the need for courage and tenacity of the British people was at its peak, these poems published at the outset of the First World War emerged as an attempt to bolster the war effort and reinforce the determination of a people and a country under siege.
Despite the fact that the war was to continue for another four dreary, deadly years, these poems - poems of hope, victory and a wished for peace - assisted a nation in peril to cope with the daily threat to its existence and helped remind the British people of the leaders they were in the fight for freedom and justice.
Much praise is due this diverse band of inspirational poets who assumed the rallying cry of a nation whose liberty was under threat and took it upon themselves to unite and arouse a people's resistance against the developing perils that were befalling them.
These are poets who knew there was a solution to the war's conundrum of escalating violence and that it lay through the issuance of a rallying cry for a great nation to uphold the rule of law and fight this new and fierce enemy - this enemy of peace-loving nations, an evil that would consume all in its path if permitted.
This rallying cry, this plea, this decree, this appeal to the resistance that defined a nation and which would ultimately spell victory is eloquently articulated by Poet Laureate, Robert Bridges, as he commands, "Up, careless, awake! Ye peacemakers, fight! England stands for Honour: God defend the Right!" (Bruce Kachuk)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33681
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

============================================

Genres for the project: Poetry/Anthologies

Keywords that describe the book: Europe, Britain, First World War, preparedness, courage, honour, unity, wartime poetry, vigilance

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Poems of the Great War. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Poems of the Great War, by Various. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Poems of the Great War by Various. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Poems of the Great War, by Various. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename poemsofthegreatwar_##_various_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. poemsofthegreatwar_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: rapunzelina
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

:clap:
Sorry, I was about to set this up earlier, and then got distracted.... But we have a magic window now!
Will Sara join us?
Intro and outro as in previous projects :thumbs:
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Rapunzelina wrote: February 15th, 2020, 11:39 pm :clap:
Sorry, I was about to set this up earlier, and then got distracted.... But we have a magic window now!
Will Sara join us?
Intro and outro as in previous projects :thumbs:
Yes, I'm. :thumbs: I'm super excited to work with the team.
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Ready for Going Solo then!
brucek

Post by brucek »

Thanks so much Rapunzelina and Sarah. Yay! Our team is back together again. :D

I guess it's time this team member started recording some poems.

Talk to you soon.

Bruce.
brucek

Post by brucek »

SaraHale wrote: February 16th, 2020, 12:58 am Yes, I'm. :thumbs: I'm super excited to work with the team.
Hi Sarah,

I've just uploaded the first half-dozen. :)

Thanks,
Bruce.
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

brucek wrote: February 27th, 2020, 8:26 am Hi Sarah,

I've just uploaded the first half-dozen. :)

Thanks,
Bruce.
Hey Bruce,

Sorry for the late reply. I've requested a few books on OpenLibrary and got almost all of them at once. You have to finish the books that you've borrowed within 14 days. So, I didn't check LV.

How do you find those amazing poems? I'm super happy to get to listen to them.

All sections are PL OK :clap:
brucek

Post by brucek »

SaraHale wrote: February 29th, 2020, 7:00 am
Hey Bruce,

Sorry for the late reply. I've requested a few books on OpenLibrary and got almost all of them at once. You have to finish the books that you've borrowed within 14 days. So, I didn't check LV.

How do you find those amazing poems? I'm super happy to get to listen to them.

All sections are PL OK :clap:
Thanks for the PL, Sarah. There's never any big rush.

I'm so glad you are enjoying the poems. I too find them very inspiring and motivating, although reflecting thoughts extant in an era of extreme stress and privation.

More to come soon.

~~~~~
Bruce. :)
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

brucek wrote: February 29th, 2020, 9:33 am Thanks for the PL, Sarah. There's never any big rush.

I'm so glad you are enjoying the poems. I too find them very inspiring and motivating, although reflecting thoughts extant in an era of extreme stress and privation.

More to come soon.

~~~~~
You're welcome. I know but I'd like that the listeners will get to listen to the poems as soon as possible. :D

Yeah, all the poems you've picked so far are AMAZING. Good job finding them. :thumbs:

I look forward to listening to them.
brucek

Post by brucek »

SaraHale wrote: February 29th, 2020, 9:06 pm You're welcome. I know but I'd like that the listeners will get to listen to the poems as soon as possible. :D

Yeah, all the poems you've picked so far are AMAZING. Good job finding them. :thumbs:

I look forward to listening to them.
Hi Sarah,

I've just uploaded another half-dozen. :)

Thanks,
Bruce.
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

brucek wrote: March 10th, 2020, 7:21 am Hi Sarah,

I've just uploaded another half-dozen. :)

Thanks,
Bruce.
Hey Bruce,

They are all PL OK as always. :clap:

There is something that I would like to talk to you about in Section 7 (don't worry, it's word-perfect). The poem is divided into sections I, II, and so on. Should there be a little more silence between them? :hmm:

I know silences are personal opinions, and I promised not to talk about silences but I'm curious to know.
brucek

Post by brucek »

SaraHale wrote: March 11th, 2020, 2:00 am Hey Bruce,

There is something that I would like to talk to you about in Section 7 (don't worry, it's word-perfect). The poem is divided into sections I, II, and so on. Should there be a little more silence between them? :hmm:

I know silences are personal opinions, and I promised not to talk about silences but I'm curious to know.
Thanks Sarah and thank you for your important comments on the power of silence. Let me say a few words in general about this crucial element and then I will address the issue at hand.

Yes, I fully agree, silence, if used judiciously, can be a very useful tool in relating a message, creating an atmosphere and drawing attention - this among a plethora of additional and important other effects - but the key element here is "judiciously".

Although a guiding principle of narration is to remain true to an author’s original intent, we live in very different times from when the poem was written; indeed these poems are being disseminated via a medium unimagined by poets of a century ago. We as proliferators of the art of a prior century must take the initiative to accommodate the material to our current zeitgeist, as subtly as possible but unavoidably at times at odds with the author's original conception of his audience. The responsibility which we have assumed as twenty-first century narrators necessitates a good many decisions of this nature that must be carefully considered.

Not to wax too poetic, Sarah, but I often gain inspiration (and indeed often solace) from the Bard of Avon. Relating to our current discussion, I am inspired by his character Hamlet’s admonition (Act 3 Sc 2) to “Speak the speech, I pray you, as I pronounced it to you, trippingly on the tongue”. This, I believe is more germane today even than it was at the turn of the seventeenth century.

Now, referring to Section 7 “The United Front” by Alfred Noyes, I found it curious to note that the stanzas separated by numbers tend to split related thoughts even more so than those unnumbered. For instance the verse numbered “II” begins with the word “They”; while that numbered “III” begins with “We” – both directly referring to thoughts in the previous verse and hence not calling for any appreciable silence. Meanwhile the second verse in “II” begins with “But”, and in “III” with “It is” which in my opinion could present a stronger argument for a period of silence as means of separating thoughts than even those numbered.

So, in summary, in my attempt to “acquire and beget a temperance that may give it smoothness” (H Act 3 Sc 2) I would stand by the decisions I have made in this poem.

But thank you once again for your careful perusal of my reading and your pondering of important aspects of the work. We both aspire to present the best for our listeners and that is always a good thing and what makes me value your opinion as a key team member.

~~~~~
brucek

Post by brucek »

SaraHale wrote: March 11th, 2020, 2:00 am
Hey Bruce,

Hi Sarah,

And here are the final six to wrap things up. :D

Thanks,
Bruce.
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

brucek wrote: March 14th, 2020, 10:41 am Hi Sarah,

Thanks,
Bruce.
Hey Bruce,

Sorry for not replying to your previous message. We had heavy rain which affected the internet connection. I'll make sure to PL them tomorrow and reply to your message. :)
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

brucek wrote: March 14th, 2020, 10:41 am Hi Sarah,

Thanks,
Bruce.
Hey again!

All sections are now PL OK :clap:

Have you decided what will you record next?