COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Volume 072 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Kevin

PLOK :thumbs:

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Another couple of Oscar Wilde related pieces from me.

“Wilde in America,” True Republican, 24 April 1895
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf072_wildeinamerica_anon_rm_128kb.mp3
07:46

“Oscar Wilde: The Aesthetic Apostle's First Appearance in New York Society,” New York World, 6 January 1882
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf072_wildenewyork_anon_rm_128kb.mp3
12:42
Rob Marland reader section | website
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

RobMarland wrote: March 13th, 2020, 10:56 am Another couple of Oscar Wilde related pieces from me.

“Wilde in America,” True Republican, 24 April 1895
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf072_wildeinamerica_anon_rm_128kb.mp3
07:46

“Oscar Wilde: The Aesthetic Apostle's First Appearance in New York Society,” New York World, 6 January 1882
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf072_wildenewyork_anon_rm_128kb.mp3
12:42
Hi Rob,
Thanks for these! :) Can we please have links to your sources?
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Sue Anderson wrote: March 14th, 2020, 2:09 am
Hi Rob,
Thanks for these! :) Can we please have links to your sources?
Whoops, sorry! Amended, above.
Rob Marland reader section | website
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

RobMarland wrote: March 14th, 2020, 6:49 am

Whoops, sorry! Amended, above.
Thanks, Rob! :) These look interesting!

Only a Wilde aficionado would tackle a blurry scan like that from New York World! Craig, if this poses difficulty in PLing, I'll help out.
Horner94

Post by Horner94 »

Hello,
Sorry for the delay for responding.
Below is the amended recording, as previously requested:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf072_childpsychologyandnonsense_chesterton_cjph_128kb.mp3
Time: 07:23

Best regards,
Chad
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Thank you, Chad! :) Craig will PL both your revised Chesterton and your 2nd contribution to Vol. 072 on Thomas Andrews, both of which I have entered in the Magic Window. Please, please keep a close eye on the thread and follow up with these recordings as they go through the proof listening process. They are the last two selections --19 and 20-- in Vol. 072, and I will be strictly following the "2 weeks to complete edits" rule for that reason.

Craig, Here is the link to the source for Chesterton, from Chad's original post: www.gkc.org.uk/gkc/books/child_psychology.html
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for two interesting pieces Chad :thumbs:
Child Psychology and Nonsence is PLOK
Thomas Andrews, Naval Architect of the Titanic was well read. A few errors noted. Best to correct them from end to start.

6:05 and effective too was the desire he showed always to get the best possible out of every worker. You said the affective

21:25 that Mr. Childers met Andrews and noted in him those qualities of zest, vigour, power and simplicity, which impressed him deeply. Yet Andrews then was no whit more enthusiastic, we feel sure, than on any other day of the great ship’s fashioning, from the time of her conception slowly down through the long process of calculating, planning, designing, building, fitting, until at last she sailed proudly away to the applause of half the world. Whatever share others had in her, his at least cannot be gainsaid. As Lord Pirrie’s Assistant he had done his part by way of shaping into tangible form the projects of her owners. As Chief Designer and Naval Architect he planned her complete. As Managing Director he saw her grow up, frame by frame, plate by plate, day after day throughout more than two years; watched her grow as a father watches his child grow, assiduously, minutely, and with much the same feelings of parental pride and affection.

Reread this whole part. you missed a few sentences :D

22:30 Her compasses being adjusted, the ship steamed towards the Isle of Man - you said encompasses

26:38 On the 9th he wrote: “The Titanic is now about complete and will I think do the old Firm credit to-morrow when we sail.” Some pauses

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
soupy

Post by soupy »

Your two pieces on Oscar Wild are PLOK Rob :thumbs:

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Thanks for all your good work, Craig, in PLing these so quickly! :)
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Volume 072 is now filled. Please save your contributions for the next volume of the Short Nonfiction Collection.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've got a recording ready for the next collection. Bummer that it can't fit into this one!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

TriciaG wrote: March 16th, 2020, 10:44 am I've got a recording ready for the next collection. Bummer that it can't fit into this one!
Being #1 is always nice... Look at it this way, Tricia, I'll give you the first slot in Vol. 073, and I trust you to get the volume off to a rousing start. :wink: Vol. 073 will be up soon.
Horner94

Post by Horner94 »

soupy wrote: March 15th, 2020, 5:48 am Thanks for two interesting pieces Chad :thumbs:
Child Psychology and Nonsence is PLOK
Thomas Andrews, Naval Architect of the Titanic was well read. A few errors noted. Best to correct them from end to start.

6:05 and effective too was the desire he showed always to get the best possible out of every worker. You said the affective

21:25 that Mr. Childers met Andrews and noted in him those qualities of zest, vigour, power and simplicity, which impressed him deeply. Yet Andrews then was no whit more enthusiastic, we feel sure, than on any other day of the great ship’s fashioning, from the time of her conception slowly down through the long process of calculating, planning, designing, building, fitting, until at last she sailed proudly away to the applause of half the world. Whatever share others had in her, his at least cannot be gainsaid. As Lord Pirrie’s Assistant he had done his part by way of shaping into tangible form the projects of her owners. As Chief Designer and Naval Architect he planned her complete. As Managing Director he saw her grow up, frame by frame, plate by plate, day after day throughout more than two years; watched her grow as a father watches his child grow, assiduously, minutely, and with much the same feelings of parental pride and affection.

Reread this whole part. you missed a few sentences :D

22:30 Her compasses being adjusted, the ship steamed towards the Isle of Man - you said encompasses

26:38 On the 9th he wrote: “The Titanic is now about complete and will I think do the old Firm credit to-morrow when we sail.” Some pauses

Craig
Thank you for the feedback.
Below is an amended version of my recording ready for PL'ing: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf072_thomasandrewsshipbuilder_bullock_cjph_128kb.mp3
Time: 34:23

Best regards,
Chad