[COMPLETE] How To Write Short Stories (with samples), by Ring Lardner - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

How To Write Short Stories (with samples), by Ring Lardner (1885 - 1933).
Here are 10 humorous short stories by Ring Lardner (March 5, 1885 – September 25, 1933), an American sports columnist and short-story writer best known for his satirical writings on sports, marriage, and the theatre. His contemporaries Ernest Hemingway, Virginia Woolf, and F. Scott Fitzgerald all professed strong admiration for his writing. ( Wikipedia and Michele Fry)
This project is complete. Audio files can be found on the catalog page: https://librivox.org/how-to-write-short-stories-with-examples-by-ring-lardner/
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs."
    NOTE: Each story is divided into 2 sections. I would like the same reader to read both sections, so the mood, humor and dialect remain uniform throughout the story.
    Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/howtowriteshorts00lardrich/page/n1/mode/2up
  5. Please claim sections by the numbers in the first column of the MW (Magic Window) below. See note in green above! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Level of prooflistening requested: special, I will follow along with the text and notate significant discrepancies.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Project Code: 1ldwZPIP
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Ring Lardner) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_Lardner
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 21
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    • Original publication date (if known): 1924
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Short Stories; Sports Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: baseball, humor, romance, courtship

============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

START of recording (INTRO)
    • "Chapter #/Part #(as shown in the MW) of How To Write Short Stories, with samples, by Ring Lardner. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "[Chapter #/Chapter Title/Part #"

END of recording (OUTRO)
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter #/Part #/ Title]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of How To Write Short Stories, with samples, by Ring Lardner. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    howtowriteshortstories_##_lardner_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case), where ## is the section number (e.g. howtowriteshortstories_01_lardner_128kb.mp3)
  9. Example ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)

Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Artist: Ring Lardner
    Title: Chapter #/Part # (as shown in MW) - [Section title] [eg. 3.1 Title, or 3.2. Title]
    Album: How To Write Short Stories, with samples

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: toddhw
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread, followed by the file length in minutes and seconds.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
BC - msfry (Michele Fry)
MC - ToddHW (Todd)
DPL - msfry (Michele Fry)
Cover - msfry
Last edited by msfry on July 28th, 2020, 1:26 pm, edited 11 times in total.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I can set this up.

EDIT: all set.

Thanks, Todd
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you, Todd. So excited to see this get going. It's a funny one. I will set up the MW tomorrow. :D :D :D
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Please allow me the sections 5 and 6, see'in as hows I"m from Indiana
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Bill from Indiana! I'll put you in for Alibi Ike, sections 5 and 6. I'm going to fill in the MW today, and upload our duet too!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Sections 3 and 4 are uploaded, a duet starring Bill Jones and Michele Fry . . . . . acting like the unsophisticated hicks we AREN'T! :lol:

We'll have to wait for a PL'er to come along for these two.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/howtowriteshortstories_03_lardner.mp3 31:18

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/howtowriteshortstories_04_lardner.mp3 23:11
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Looks like you are off and running, so I have moved this to Readers Wanted.

Thanks, Todd
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Todd. Did you add OPEN to the title? I haven't seen that before, just FULL when there were no more openings. Does it help attract readers?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Oh, yeah. That's what I have to do in the Dramatic Works forum where the OPEN and FULL projects are all together in the same forum. Fixed.

Thanks, Todd
JeffDueck

Post by JeffDueck »

Hello. I would like to read Champion chapter 5.1 and 5.2 please. This is my first recording with librivox. I have already put up my one minute test. Thank you.
msfry

Post by msfry »

JeffDueck wrote: March 13th, 2020, 11:34 pm Hello. I would like to read Champion chapter 5.1 and 5.2 please. This is my first recording with librivox. I have already put up my one minute test. Thank you.
Hello, Jeff. I listened to your 1 minute test and made notes on it, and now I will put you in for 5.1 and 5.2. As this is your first Librivox contribution, we'll need you to specify a name you'd like to appear in the LV catalog. HINT: I use my Real Name, Michele Fry, others use their username (e.g., msfry), and others use something else (e.g. Michele T. Fry, MicheleFry, IggyPoo or whatever you'd like your friends to search you by in our Home Page search box). This is the name that will appear next to each chapter you read and on any solos you record, and once chosen, can't be changed on any catalogued project.

This only needs to be done once, then you'll be in our catalog!!!!!

Be sure to read all the details of the First Post on each project you join, where the Book Coordinator specifies the intro, outro, proof-listening standards, what to name your file (please copy and paste), and sometimes gives special instructions, pronunciation guides, how to handle footnotes, etc. Also how/where to upload files. After you upload, give the Proof Listener a reasonable time to get back to you with any changes needed.

So, welcome to Librivox and I look forward to listening. Lardner is a fun guy to read.
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

I would like to claim:

7 4.1 The Golden Honeymoon 3589 words, end after "that we had our first card game."
8 4.2 The Golden Honeymoon 3278 words, Begin at "Hartsell and his wife"

--Kurt
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hello, Kurt. Welcome to the project. 7 and 8 are yours. Have fun with it! :D
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

I am prepping for the Golden Honeymoon and really like it. I am going to be a bit greedy and make a claim for:

1 1.1 The Facts 4303 words, end after "nearer the middle of the deck"
2 1.2 The Facts 4441 words, Begin with "Lots of other funny things.. . ."

even though I haven't finished recording what I have already.

Thanks!

--Kurt
msfry

Post by msfry »

Ah, Kurt, you're hooked! That's very good. 1 and 2 are yours.

Don't make me regret it, ya' hear. :lol: :lol: :lol: