COMPLETE: [CLASSICS] Parallel Lives Vol. 7, by Plutarch-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

This project is now complete! All files can be found at https://librivox.org/parallel-lives-vol-7-by-lucius-mestrius-plutarchus/

Parallel Lives of the Noble Greeks and Romans Vol. 7 by Lucius Mestrius Plutarchus (c. 46 - c. 120). Translated by Bernadotte Perrin (1847 - 1920)

Parallel Lives of the Noble Greeks and Romans is a series of biographies of famous men, arranged in tandem to illuminate their common moral virtues or failings. The surviving lives contain twenty-three pairs of biographies, each pair consisting of one Greek and one Roman, as well as four unpaired, single lives.

Plutarch was not concerned with writing histories, as such, but in exploring the influence of character, good or bad, on the lives and destinies of famous men. The first pair of lives the Epaminondas-Scipio Africanus no longer exists, and many of the remaining lives are truncated, contain obvious lacunae and/or have been tampered with by later writers.

His Life of Alexander is one of the five surviving secondary or tertiary sources about Alexander the Great and it includes anecdotes and descriptions of incidents that appear in no other source. Likewise, his portrait of Numa Pompilius, an early Roman king, also contains unique information about the early Roman calendar.

In this copyright expired 11-volume translation from the Loeb Classical library, the order of the paired lives is rearranged to present the Greek lives in chronological order. Vol 7 presents the paired lives of Demosthenes and Cicero and Alexander and Caesar. (Adapted from Wikipedia by Karen Merline.)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline. New readers who haven't completed the 1-minute test and a contribution to some LV project can expect a two-week hold while they work out technical issues, extended to a standard two-month claim once they have at least one section PL OK.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/plutarchslives07plut
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Try to follow the old-fashioned English pronunciation of Greek names: accent them (as if they were Latin) on the second-to-last syllable if it has a long vowel or is followed by two consonants; otherwise accent the third-to-last syllable. This Wikipedia article is a useful reference for the English pronunciation of both Greek and Roman names:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_English_pronunciation_of_Latin

Please record any footnotes that you think will be helpful to general listeners. Note that the English-language footnotes sometimes spill over to the bottom of the Greek text on the previous page. Introduce footnotes with "Footnote:" and end them with "End of footnote." You may place them where the citation appears in the text, or at the beginning or end of the sentence, as you see fit.

Prospective Prooflisteners: The BC, Ariphron, will DPL. Level of prooflistening requested: standard (though I plan to be slightly strict, and will probably make a note of any mispronounced word that I think will confuse listeners)

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of Parallel Lives of the Noble Greeks and Romans Volume 7. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Parallel Lives of the Noble Greeks and Romans Volume 7, by Lucius Mestrius Plutarchus. Translated by Bernadotte Perrin. [Subject], Chapters [range] OR [Title of Comparison Section]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Parallel Lives of the Noble Greeks and Romans Vol. 7, by Lucius Mestrius Plutarchus. Translated by Bernadotte Perrin (1847 - 1920)"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      parallellives07_##_plutarchperrin_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. parallellives07_01_plutarchperrin_128kb.mp3)

ID3 tags will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Leni
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by Ariphron on September 3rd, 2019, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hello, Ariphron. Here is your window. Since you seem to have PLed before, you are used to the window, I believe. Please fill in the information for sections and all that. Let's stick around here for just a bit more, so people get the chance to see the project, and we will move to the Readers Wanted forum. :D
Leni
=================
Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

Thanks, Leni. The easy stuff is done, I think. I took a look a the page count on the life of Alexander and decided it wouldn't work in three sections. Each section should be right around half an hour as currently divided.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hi, Ariphron. Looks good to me. :D I will be travelling for the next week, but after I am back I will claim a section or two. :mrgreen:
Leni
=================
Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

I see we are now in "Readers Wanted." Thanks, Leni, for moving the project forward.

A clarification for prospective readers: I gave the chapter ranges in the MW as Roman numerals, because that's how they are printed in the book, but I don't expect anybody to spell them out as letters. Just read them as normal numbers – it would sound very strange to hear "chapters ex-eye to ex-ex."
Mayah92

Post by Mayah92 »

Hi,

I would like to claim section 8. :)
Let's give Peace a chance. :wink:
Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

Mayah92 wrote: October 17th, 2019, 2:25 pm Hi,

I would like to claim section 8. :)
Yay! Welcome to the project, Mayah. MW updated.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hi, Ariphron! Sections four and five, please? :D
Leni
=================
Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

Thank you, Leni! It's in the MW.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Ariphron wrote: October 26th, 2019, 2:48 am Thank you, Leni! It's in the MW.
Hi, Ariphron

Here is section 5.
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/parallellives07_05_plutarchperrin_128kb.mp3
29:56

I would be happy to read section 6 and 7.
Leni
=================
Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

Leni wrote: February 8th, 2020, 8:25 pm
I would be happy to read section 6 and 7.
In the MW. And thanks for quoting me. It seems that my subscription to this thread expired, and I've been checking it at most once a week. Now I'll see if I succeeded in renewing the subscription.

I'll start prooflistening shortly.
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Salve. I would like to read sections 16 to 20, the ones about Caesar.
Carol Pelster
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Greetings.
I just added section 16 (Caesar).
Plutarch is full of great stories about those old Romans.
Carol
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/parallelllives07_16_plutarchperrin_128kb.mp3.mp3

I just noticed that there are too many "l"s in the link above, and an unnecessary .mp3 on the end. Is that something that I have to fix?
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »