(Complete) Seven and Nine Years Among the Comanches and Apaches

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
cstew64

Post by cstew64 »

Seven and Nine years Among the Comanches and Apaches: ( - 0).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/seven-and-nine-years-among-the-camanches-and-apaches-an-autobiography-by-edwin-eastman/

Best described as a fictional autobiography, Clark Johnson authored the following adventure to promote the sale of his brand of Homeopathic elixir or commonly known as "Snake Oil".

Using the fictitious hero's of Edwin Eastman and his wife, Mr. Johnson penned a hair raising tale of a pioneer family wondering off the wagon trail and straight into the heart of hostile Indian country. All but Eastman and his wife were struck down in the ensuing battle. Captured, Edwin and Mrs. Eastman survived only to be imprisoned by the Comanche Nation, with Mrs. Eastman eventually being sold to the Apache's. Edwin lives among the Comanches for seven long and torturous years.

Demonstrating courage and tenacity, Edwin was taken in by the great medicine Chief Watkometkla. Allowed to live, Mr. Eastman gained valuable knowledge in the art of Homeopathic medicine and the Comanche way of life.

Through the adventure of his captivity Mr. Johnson describes Edwin's life in detail - the Native American culture, the rise of new leaders, the preparation for war, scenes of great battles, habits, lifestyle and so on. Unfortunately, the author's knowledge of these various traits were "borrowed" from a previous novel published in 1854 and written by T.D. Bonner titled "The Life and Adventures of James P. Beckworth".

https://librivox.org/the-life-and-adventures-of-james-p-beckwourth-2-by-t-d-bonner/

Eventually escaping, Mr. Eastman made his way to Santa Fe, New Mexico. There he met with Ned Harding and started his two year adventure as a miner. Finally discovering new information about his wife, he and several members of his mining camp set forth to rescue her from the deadly Apache Nation.

Successful, the hero and heroine are reunited after nine long years. Quickly traveling back to the East and settling into their private lives.

Claude Stewart

• Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/files/27164/27164-h/27164-h.htm
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Edwin Eastman) : n/a
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 30
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1874
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Claude Stewart Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Seven and Nine years Among the Camanches and Apaches: An Autobiography by Edwin Eastman. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Seven and Nine years Among the Camanches and Apaches: An Autobiography by Edwin Eastman, by Edwin Eastman. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Seven and Nine years Among the Camanches and Apaches: An Autobiography by Edwin Eastman by Edwin Eastman. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Seven and Nine years Among the Camanches and Apaches: An Autobiography by Edwin Eastman, by Edwin Eastman. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename sevenandnineyearsamongthecamanchesandapachesanautobiographybyedwineastman_##_eastman_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. sevenandnineyearsamongthecamanchesandapachesanautobiographybyedwineastman_01_eastman_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Edwin Eastman
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: Seven and Nine years Among the Camanches and Apaches: An Autobiography by Edwin Eastman

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is:lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by cstew64 on September 4th, 2020, 10:16 am, edited 11 times in total.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I will set this up for you.

Edit: all set. Please shorten the file name...your choice but camanchesandapaches would be more manageable.
Do you have a DPL in mind? If not, you should add a tilde (~) to the title line. If you do, I will need to add them to the project.
Let me know if you need anything else.
cstew64

Post by cstew64 »

Thanks Lynnet!
cstew64

Post by cstew64 »

Good day everyone. I am looking for an MC and PL to assist with this recording. Thank you.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hi, Cstew :)

You do have an MC - Lynnet.

This title highly interests me. What kind of pace do you expect to upload files? I can't commit to a full flurry before two more weeks are over, but if your pace is relaxed, I can add your project on my PL roster.

P.S. Also, assuming it won't drive you nuts to have Lynette as your DPL with Lynnet as your MC. ;D (I'm sure it gives Lynnet as much a chuckle as it does me, so don't worry about us.)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

LCaulkins wrote: May 6th, 2020, 10:56 am Hi, Cstew :)

You do have an MC - Lynnet.

This title highly interests me. What kind of pace do you expect to upload files? I can't commit to a full flurry before two more weeks are over, but if your pace is relaxed, I can add your project on my PL roster.

P.S. Also, assuming it won't drive you nuts to have Lynette as your DPL with Lynnet as your MC. ;D (I'm sure it gives Lynnet as much a chuckle as it does me, so don't worry about us.)
Well, I’m more Lynne T, but an accident at signup leaves me as lynnet 8-)
cstew64

Post by cstew64 »

Thank you, Lynette and Lynnet.

I try to get one or two chapters a week loaded. First one is ready. I do quite a bit of proof listening so, the recording's should be easy to PL.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

I can do that pace, certainly. I'd like to do DPL here. :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Lynette added as DPL.
cstew64

Post by cstew64 »

Chapter 1 ready.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

cstew64 wrote: May 7th, 2020, 6:14 am Chapter 1 ready.
Section 1 is PL OK :thumbs:

Hi, Claude,

LOVE THE VOICE!! (the one you asked about)

I'm thinking she may have been chuckling because it's an amazingly perfect capture of what such a voice would have sounded like, and evokes a strong visual image of the guy. (And that image is what is humorous.)

Definitely keep it. :)

Since you asked, the only constructive criticism that I think of is that the pauses between sentences might be a little shorter for future sections. Your reading pace of the words is extremely good (so don't speed up your reading itself), and your style is engaging. The tone seems spot on for this book.

I am so glad you didn't need a daily pace, and that I can DPL this project. A few months ago I read "Queer Person" by Ralph Hubbard, which piqued an interest in more books along the vein of life with Native American nations. I knew this title seemed familiar to me - and that's because I had bookmarked this selection over in Goodreads as something I wanted to read in the upcoming months. So - SCORE for me, getting this DPL gig. Not only was I wanting to read it already, but your reading is very pleasant. :)
~Lynette * -
cstew64

Post by cstew64 »

Sorry Lynette, The chapters are much shorter than I thought. No need to rush yourself, however. Please work at the pace you are most comfortable.

Chapter 2 ready.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

cstew64 wrote: May 8th, 2020, 7:34 am Sorry Lynette, The chapters are much shorter than I thought. No need to rush yourself, however. Please work at the pace you are most comfortable.

Chapter 2 ready.
Hi, Claude!

Chapter 2 is PL OK (unless you want to change the intro to the short version).

It's completely your choice if you want to leave this section with the long one and do the short one from here out, or if you want to switch this one out for consistency. :)

What I really love about hearing you in these is that it sounds like a mid-20th century radio show instead of just reading.
~Lynette * -
cstew64

Post by cstew64 »

LCaulkins wrote: May 10th, 2020, 6:57 am
cstew64 wrote: May 8th, 2020, 7:34 am Sorry Lynette, The chapters are much shorter than I thought. No need to rush yourself, however. Please work at the pace you are most comfortable.

Chapter 2 ready.
Hi, Claude!

Chapter 2 is PL OK (unless you want to change the intro to the short version).

It's completely your choice if you want to leave this section with the long one and do the short one from here out, or if you want to switch this one out for consistency. :)

What I really love about hearing you in these is that it sounds like a mid-20th century radio show instead of just reading.

Uh, not sure what you're referring to? What would be the short version?
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Buried in the main post information, this part that I'm pasting below. It's nice that we don't have to read the long version for every single chapter in our solos.

START of recording (Intro):

"Chapter [number] of Seven and Nine years Among the Camanches and Apaches: An Autobiography by Edwin Eastman. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"

If you wish, say:
Say:
"Seven and Nine years Among the Camanches and Apaches: An Autobiography by Edwin Eastman, by Edwin Eastman. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:

"Chapter [number] of Seven and Nine years Among the Camanches and Apaches: An Autobiography by Edwin Eastman by Edwin Eastman. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
Only if applicable, say:
"[Chapter title]"
~Lynette * -