[NOT LV] Character encoding problem in Youtube uploads

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

The Cyrillic title of a Librivox book recently uploaded to Youtube came out as a series of question marks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qubPawjN50

It won't appear in search results without the title, which is "Обыкновенная история".

Michael
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

We are not involved in any youtube channel. If you have a problem with this or other videos, please contact the owner of the channel on youtube.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Availle wrote: March 9th, 2020, 5:38 pm We are not involved in any youtube channel. If you have a problem with this or other videos, please contact the owner of the channel on youtube.
Interesting. I wonder how one comes to own "the official LibriVox YouTube channel". :)

Michael
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

By naming it like that? :lol:

"Paper doesn't blush". The internet even less so.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I have a vague recollection of the person wanting to do this and asking for permission or something. When told he did not need permission, he sort of shrugged his shoulders and went ahead and did it. His 'videos' all seem to include the disclaimer and stuff and I believe he really wants to be a conduit for LibriVox audiobooks. My memory is imperfect.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That is fine , but like the app, we have no control over it and are not responsible for it's faults. Our responsibility stops with the files catalogued at Archive - we release them into the PD which means anyone can use them. I feel his use of the word OFFICIAL questionable - it implies we are actively supporting him - we are not.
This is a copy of the answer given to people who email
LibriVox takes texts that are already in the public domain in the United States, asks volunteers to make audio recordings of those texts, and then releases the resulting audio back into the public domain.

As copyright rights are country-based and vary, a work may be under copyright in one country and not in another. Therefore, a work may be in the public domain in the United States, but still be under copyright in other countries.

Librivox makes good faith efforts to ensure that the texts recorded are public domain in the United States. We do not, and cannot, ensure that these texts are public domain outside the United States. We encourage all listeners to abide by the laws of their countries in using material from Librivox (including audio recordings and cover art work). That said, LibriVox is a volunteer organization with no budget and no expertise in international copyright law. We therefore do not offer advice on what are permitted (or unpermitted) uses of LibriVox materials. It is the responsibility of each listener to determine whether a particular text is public domain in the country in which he or she resides, and to comply with local copyright laws in listening to Librivox recordings created from that text. Those who distribute LibriVox materials are responsible to comply with applicable local copyright laws in making LibriVox materials available to others.

If you decide to make LibriVox materials available to others, we ask that you make clear that you are not affiliated with LibriVox and that any questions regarding the materials you supply should be directed to you and not to Librivox. This will help to avoid confusion and ensure that your users are able to obtain prompt answers to any questions (technical or otherwise) about material obtained from you.
Anne