Complete [SOLO] The Charwoman's Daughter, by James Stephens-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

The Charwoman's Daughter by James Stephens (1882 - 1950).
A humorous tale about a poor Irish charwoman living in the slums of Dublin, and her innocent teenage daughter, Mary Makebelieve, whose first forays into courtship and romance, and escape from drudgery -- provide us with a charming picture of youth's enthusiasm, and Dublin's many parks and shops. The chapters are filled with James Stephens' witty Irish observations on life, love, ignorance, the frustrations of the poor and the wishful thinking that sustains them . . . . told as jauntily as few authors can equal. ( ~ Michele Fry, Soloist)
• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-charwomans-daughter-by-james-stephens/

• Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/charwomansdaught01step/page/8/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): STANDARD

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section 1 of The Charwoman's Daughter, by James Stephens, Chapters 1 and 2. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      " [Chapter 1]" read the chapter, then [Chapter 2] read the chapter

For the second and all subsequent sections, the shortened disclaimer will be used:
    • "Section # of The Charwoman's Daughter by James Stephens, Chapters x and y. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Then say:
      " [Chapter x]" read the chapter, then [Chapter y] read the chapter "
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section #"
    • At the end of the book, say something like (in addition):
      "End of The Charwoman's Daughter, by James Stephens. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename charwomansdaughter_##_stephens_128kb (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. charwomansdaughter_01_stephens_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg1001
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
BC/Soloist: Michele Fry msfry
MC: Amy alg1001
DPL: Jenn jennlea
Cover: Michele Fry msfry
Last edited by msfry on March 10th, 2020, 7:57 am, edited 8 times in total.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Michele,
I'll set this up for you.
Would you consider one of the books in this link for the source text? Readers will be able to download the book in whatever format if they prefer to have an offline version to work with.
https://archive.org/search.php?query=Charwoman%27s+Daughter&&and[]=collection%3A%22brigham_young_university%22&and[]=collection%3A%22robarts%22&and[]=collection%3A%22trent_university%22
Cheers,
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
msfry

Post by msfry »

msfry

Post by msfry »

Forgot to mention, I changed the link to the text source. :thumbs:
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Hi Michele!

Are you still needing a DPL? If so, I’d love to do it :D
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you Jenn! I would love to have you as my DPL.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Jennlea is added as DPL. I'll move you to Going Solo.
Cheers!
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

I had a listen to Chapters 1 and 2; I think I am going to like this book! I had a chuckle imagining Mary clucking at the ducklings!

Just a couple things I noticed:

-In the Intro I heard "Session 1" instead of "Section 1" and "Chapters 1 and 2" was left out.

-Chapter 2, page 8, at 8:26 text says "one was on the left-hand side of the fire grate" I heard "one was on the left-hand side by the fire grate".

Edited to add: The chapter 2 note above isn’t that huge of a deal so depends on whether you want to replace it or not :)
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks Jenn. I see you know how to enter the MW and mark the status of the file. Great!

I repaired the INTRO per your notes, but left the second comment as is, for a couple of reasons:
Mainly, it doesn't 'SUBSTANTIALLY" alter the meaning or the scene or the cadence. WORD PERFECT is generally reserved for quotable books, like the bible, poems where rhyme and/or cadence is essential, famous speeches, or whenever the BC so specifies and the MC allows it to stand.

Indeed you should cite something where a misdirect would confuse the reader, significantly change the scene, or miss a humorous point. Example: She turned the light off, vs on, or the reader says tableau vs table, which makes a big difference to the visual movie running in the listener's head! Things that would stand out as not making sense, (he walked on the ceiling vs railing), of course should be cited. Some things can be spotted even without following the text.

Another thing to consider is that in many cases, edits sound even worse than a minor incorrect word does. It's a judgment call you will learn to make as you go along.
If you'll notice the CC in my signature, it means I welcome crits/comments. I enjoy editing, and always thank my PL'er for pointing out even tiny errors. But then I reserve the right to ignore suggestions I don't think make a significant difference.

Another tip, to save everybody time, you can just notate the time and a minimum of words:
Chapter 2, page 8, at 8:26 text says "one was on the left-hand side of the fire grate" I heard "one was on the left-hand side by the fire grate".
becomes
8:26 of the fire grate, I heard by the fire grate.

Lastly, each reader has a different opinion and way of doing things, thus I'm just giving you mine.

We are going to have a nice ride together on this story!
Section 1 is uploaded. Same file name. New time 14:17
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Thank you, Michele! That information is incredibly helpful. Since I’m pretty new around here I appreciate you taking the time to help me!

I listened to the beginning of Section 1 again but I heard the same INTRO as before. I’m not sure if I did something wrong. I just click on the “listen” link again right? Sorry, I’ll get the hang of this!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hmmm. I could have sworn I uploaded it again but maybe not. Try again.
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/charwomansdaughter_01_stephens.mp3

You can see that PL'ing is an important job start to finish. The Librivox playground is filled with opportunities to err!!!! :roll:
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

All good now and Section 1 is PL-OK!

Looking forward to hearing some more!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 2 is uploaded. Since it's just you and me, I'll just put the link in the MW. (If it's a group project where readers don't have access to the MW, uploads need to be posted here.)

I have Sections 3 and 4 recorded but not edited. Considering they are so short, I can probably get one done per day (unless real life intervenes).
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Section 2 is PL-OK!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 3 is uploaded.
Chapter 5 has some weird references to "breasts", but I don't think it meant then what it means now. What do you think, Jenn?
Chapter 6 reminds me of a health diagnosis class I took once in Boston long ago, where we had to sit in public places and notate how various people walk (arms swinging or not, slue footed, heavy or light stepped, lead with stomach, shoulders or hips, etc.) No doubt Stephens was a people watcher, and found a place to work his sidewalk observations into a story!
Hope you are enjoying this. We have a ways to go.