COMPLETE: The Chimney Corner by Harriet Beecher Stowe -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hello Susan, you're in for 6. I'm curious to hear what Stowe says too. :D
Nilzjdg

Post by Nilzjdg »

Hey, I want to read chapter five. I'm a newbie and would like to be referred to as Niloufar. [Ni-loo-far]
msfry

Post by msfry »

Nilzjdg wrote: February 27th, 2020, 11:26 pm Hey, I want to read chapter five. I'm a newbie and would like to be referred to as Niloufar. [Ni-loo-far]
Hello Niloufar, and welcome to Librivox. I see you joined yesterday, and presume you have received your Welcome Letter via email. It tells you how to submit your One Minute Test before recording, to make sure your technical parameters are set correctly for LV's platform. Here is some information on how to do this. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test. Once you get the OK there, I recommend you choose some short pieces to record first, say 10 minutes or less (poetry and children's books are great places to find these), to get the hang of reading the BC's first post, recording, editing, naming and uploading files, etc. HINT: 1500 words ends up being about 10 minutes long.
We have many tutorials on our Wiki Help page to guide you through this process (see top menu).
Also, there are lots of volunteers willing to lend a hand.

Meanwhile, this project will be here awhile. I'll reserve Section 7 for you for a few weeks, and when you get the OK on your test and some practice, come on back to claim it.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 12:13 pm Section 9 is uploaded. 31 minutes. Link is in MW.
PL... with only one *possibly* objectional hiccup:

1:42 heard "but *I* shall be under protest:
s/b "but *IT* shall be under protest

The last 1/4 of the story deals with small garden/yard parties (Lawn Teas) and how they are probably better that the large "ball" parties. She paints an ideal picture. I like it.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks for the PL. I repaired and uploaded 9, but I was under protest the whole time! :lol:

Yes, now I want to have a lawn party. Invite the neighborhood. Hire a band. Everybody brings a dish. We used to do bonfires like that at Halloween and on New Years Eve when all our kids were small. No longer. Wait, I am having a crawfish boil in May, but not at night, not for the neighborhood, no band, just our astronomy club. But the club pays for the crawfish! And everybody helps clean up. It somewhat fits Stowe's description.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, will listen later today!
msfry

Post by msfry »

msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 13

14:51 with as good a relish, you say religion
19:53 made never a claim that anyone should care for her, you say could
22:31 found the care of them burdensome, you say children
Outro, at the end please say End of Chapter 11, The Cathedral

Volume 91.3 Within range overall, but while you are making these corrections, you could de-amplify the hottest audio between 1:46 - 18:30 by -1. That would bring your overall volume closer to 90.

I can't figure out why this chapter isn't called Aunt Esther, or A Saint. Surely she wasn't A Cathedral!
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded Section 14 - The New Year

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chimneycorner_14_hbstowe.mp3 32:09

I bet that the text in this chapter was taken from a sermon by a brother or her father. It just feels that way.

I have adjusted the volume in this file and in section 13 down by 1.5, which is what MP3Gain suggested. That will make the volume about 90.2
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 1:33 pm PL Notes Section 13

14:51 with as good a relish, you say religion
19:53 made never a claim that anyone should care for her, you say could
22:31 found the care of them burdensome, you say children
Outro, at the end please say End of Chapter 11, The Cathedral

Volume 91.3 Within range overall, but while you are making these corrections, you could de-amplify the hottest audio between 1:46 - 18:30 by -1. That would bring your overall volume closer to 90.

I can't figure out why this chapter isn't called Aunt Esther, or A Saint. Surely she wasn't A Cathedral!
Uploaded corrected file section 13
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

13 is PL OK. Thank you. :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you, Kathleen. I look forward to listening.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 11

Aw, a very interesting if long chapter! Thanks for taking it on. Stowe gives some pretty good advice re fashion.

Only one PL Note that seems to matter, an easy fix:
41:36 "such as we were more holy". Delete we