COMPLETE: [SOLO] Observations Upon the Apocalypse of St. John by Sir Isaac Newton-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

This project is now complete! All files can be found at https://librivox.org/observations-upon-the-apocalypse-by-isaac-newton/

Observations Upon the Apocalypse of St. John by Sir Isaac Newton (1642 - 1727).

While Issac Newton is most known today for his research in physics, during his own life he was also well-known for his religious scholarship. Engaging in intensive research on Christian history, theology, and the Bible, Newton cared deeply about understanding his faith. Among Newton's writings are those on prophecies described in the Bible. Here, he analyzes the last book of the New Testament - Revelation AKA the Apocalypse of St. John- in order to gain an understanding of the world's end times. He seems especially interested in tracking how post-Jesus Roman history compares with the events described in Revelation. Observations Upon the Apocalypse of St. John was posthumously published in 1733, as part of Newton's larger work on Bible prophecy. ( Adam Bielka)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/16878
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Observations Upon the Apocalypse of St. John. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Observations Upon the Apocalypse of St. John, by Sir Isaac Newton. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Observations Upon the Apocalypse of St. John by Sir Isaac Newton. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Observations Upon the Apocalypse of St. John, by Sir Isaac Newton. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename observationsapocalypse_##_newton_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. observationsapocalypse_01_newton_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Ignore ID Tags

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Leni
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by AdamBielka on April 16th, 2020, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

My first solo project is coming close to wrapping up, thought I might propose starting my second.

I'm a bit unsure about what the LibriVox rules are for cutting larger works into discrete parts- I've seen it done somethings like the Lucian Dialogues and Emily Montague epistles. This is a Part II of a larger work cobbled together posthumously from Newton's writings, but each Part is fairly discrete from each other- the first is Newton's analysis on the Book of Daniel, this second on the Book of Revelation. This is going to be a hard read based on my preliminary sampling- LOTS of hard-to-pronounce Greek and Latin names and phrases throughout the text. So I didn't want to commit to doing the whole thing ginormous thing. Part II is much shorter than Part I, yet discrete enough to be analyzed alone. Open to other organization ideas though. So I thought I might start with that?
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hello, Adam

I see no problem in doing the two separate parts as two projects. It is probably wise to start with the shorter one as well. Each chapter should fit in one section; you might want to divide the last one which is almost 7000 words long, but that is up to you.

I will add your window. Let me know if you have any questions. :)
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Done. I also shortened the file name. :mrgreen: Let's wait here for a few days, and see if a DPLer comes along.
Leni
=================
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

Leni wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 8:03 am Done. I also shortened the file name. :mrgreen: Let's wait here for a few days, and see if a DPLer comes along.
Okay good call on the file name! I just copy-pasted the data from the generator, didn't even notice the filename yet.

Chapter 3 doesn't really seem to have a natural mid point :? to split in. My word-to-speech calculator seems to think it'll take about an hour to read. I know LibriVox standards recommend 10-40 minute increments, but 1 hour doesn't seem so bad. If its my call, I'd stick with the chapter integrity?

Another note- the chapter titles are a bit long, multiple sentences, hard to see in browers. Is it acceptable to abbreviate them for the sake of people browsing (while saying the full versions of the chapter titles during the audio)? I.e. "Introduction" "Apocalypse and the Prophecies of Daniel"; "Apocalypse and the Book of the Law of Moses". Or is that too much of a distortion?

Also including the Inserted Pages in the Postscript, they're on the same topic, albeit organized a bit differently.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hello, Adam.

Yes, doing Chapter 3 in one section is absolutely possible, no problem. And abbreviating the chapter titles makes sense to me as well.
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Moving us to Going Solo.
Leni
=================
BillTurns

Post by BillTurns »

I am interested in providing the service of DPL.
This looks to be an interesting listen.
Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.
~Benjamin Franklin
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

BillTurns wrote: February 28th, 2020, 11:40 am I am interested in providing the service of DPL.
I hope so! Glad to have you on board!
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

BillTurns wrote: February 28th, 2020, 11:40 am I am interested in providing the service of DPL.
Welcome, Bill! I have added you to the project. More information about DPLing can be found here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners Please take a look at the guide and let us know if you have any doubts.

Also, as DPLer, you will have to access the window in the first post to mark sections as PLed. Information on how to do it is here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=BC%27s:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window
Leni
=================
BillTurns

Post by BillTurns »

Leni wrote: March 1st, 2020, 9:42 am
Welcome, Bill! I have added you to the project. More information about DPLing can be found here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners Please take a look at the guide and let us know if you have any doubts.

Also, as DPLer, you will have to access the window in the first post to mark sections as PLed. Information on how to do it is here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=BC%27s:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window
Thanks Leni,

I am looking forward to the task, the guides are well done and the process seems pretty laid back. As I don't have much to keep my attention active at work, this is the perfect task to fill my time.

Too-Tall Bill
~Benjamin Franklin
BillTurns

Post by BillTurns »

AdamBielka wrote: February 29th, 2020, 8:53 pm
I hope so! Glad to have you on board!
Not a problem Adam, looking forward to the first uploads.

Standing by,
Too-Tall Bill
~Benjamin Franklin
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

BillTurns wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 9:40 am
Not a problem Adam, looking forward to the first uploads.

Standing by,
Too-Tall Bill
[/quote]

Chapters 1 and 2 uploaded. He has a style of writing where he uses quotes a lot within sentences,- mostly Bible verses- and interjects a lot within these quotes his own commentary and notes. It's a bit unclear sometimes whats a quote and what's not a quote. I've tried to use different voices (Deep voice for bible quotes, normal voice Newton's commentary) for the quotes to distinguish them, because its not always clear with the visual clues.
BillTurns

Post by BillTurns »

AdamBielka wrote: March 4th, 2020, 4:25 pm Chapters 1 and 2 uploaded. He has a style of writing where he uses quotes a lot within sentences,- mostly Bible verses- and interjects a lot within these quotes his own commentary and notes. It's a bit unclear sometimes whats a quote and what's not a quote. I've tried to use different voices (Deep voice for bible quotes, normal voice Newton's commentary) for the quotes to distinguish them, because its not always clear with the visual clues.
PL complete on these two chapters:
Chapter 1: PL OK
Chapter 2:
01:55 repeated word, "the", "...Temple relate to 'the the' feast of the seventh month."
04:28 repeated section, "til the Apostasy prevailed and took place"
18:14 missing section, "...And at this and other concomitant sacrifices,...[until the evening-sacrifice was ended, there were voices, and thundrings, and lightnings, and an earthquake; that is, the voice of the High-Priest reading the Law to the people, and other voices and thundrings from the trumpets and temple-musick at the sacrifices, and lightnings from the fire of the Altar.]
...The solemnity of the day of expiration being finished,..."
30:38 pulsing noise, "...inward court of sincerity and truth:[noise] but John is..."

Overall, the quality is good and the timing and into/end sections are good. Your deeper voice for the interposed scripture is an interesting adaptation. Not bad, just interesting.

~Bill
~Benjamin Franklin
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

Alright Bill! I've uploaded the Chapter 2 corrections, thanks for catching those! And thanks for your affirmation of the reading.