Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Wonderful, wonderful! PL OK!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

silverquill wrote: January 24th, 2020, 11:34 pm Here is Japan:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/1001questions_03_hathaway_128kb.mp3 10:10

I think you will find the questions about the introduction of Christianity into Japan and its aftermath very interesting.
It parallels what happened in Korea where the anti-foreign sentiment was aroused by the Confucian leaders who felt threatened. The expulsion of the foreigners, mainly French, was followed be cruel persectution and martrydom. I have visited many of the memorials built up around some of these sites of mass exectutions, and it if very moving. They are now places of pilgrimage and worship among the Catholics in Korea. But, all we Christians are of their lineage and reverence their sacrifice.
PL OK!

A fascinating---and too short---chapter. I know so very little about Japan. Listening to this chapter makes that all the more obvious.
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

This is China (according to the author as of 1896, of course):

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/1001questions_02_hathaway_128kb.mp3
[20:37]

As an ex-student of Chinese history, I'm compelled to comment that some of the info is somewhat biased, if not downright untrue, especially when it comes to the wars and treaties. But totally understandable, though, given the limited sources of knowledge available then (when China was still governed by an Emperor!).
Taken altogether, it was quite a fun read. Some of the facts that I've never known myself were really amazing. :)

Thanks, Kevin!
Cheers,
Yuqing :D
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

YuqingJune wrote: February 15th, 2020, 7:14 pm This is China (according to the author as of 1896, of course):

As an ex-student of Chinese history, I'm compelled to comment that some of the info is somewhat biased, if not downright untrue, especially when it comes to the wars and treaties. But totally understandable, though, given the limited sources of knowledge available then (when China was still governed by an Emperor!).
Taken altogether, it was quite a fun read. Some of the facts that I've never known myself were really amazing. :)

Thanks, Kevin!
Thank you very much!

Yes, it's strange to read these things that are biased if not entirely fabricated or just wrong or misinformed. Taken as a whole, however, we can piece together something more than facts alone, but attitudes and beliefs that explain to a degree what followed afterward.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, since there is only one section left, we might as well fill this out. Why don't you give me Egypt.
I know less about Egypt, but looks like a good read.

I happened to studied quite a bit about Japan including a summer school session in Sophia University in Tokyo, a renowned school founded by the Jesuits. Several other trips there, and then we hosted a Japanese exchange student. Despite a couple years of language study, I never really became fluent in the language and have forgotten most of it. My Korean is a little better, having lived there for probably eight years total. Not surprised to see China and Japan in this book, but not Korea. Korea has always been the cultural bridge, and constantly threatened by both countries, but with a rich and unique culture of its own. Well, I digress . . .
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

silverquill wrote: February 15th, 2020, 8:09 pm Well, since there is only one section left, we might as well fill this out. Why don't you give me Egypt.
I know less about Egypt, but looks like a good read.

I happened to studied quite a bit about Japan including a summer school session in Sophia University in Tokyo, a renowned school founded by the Jesuits. Several other trips there, and then we hosted a Japanese exchange student. Despite a couple years of language study, I never really became fluent in the language and have forgotten most of it. My Korean is a little better, having lived there for probably eight years total. Not surprised to see China and Japan in this book, but not Korea. Korea has always been the cultural bridge, and constantly threatened by both countries, but with a rich and unique culture of its own. Well, I digress . . .
Thank you, Pastor. You got it!

You know, I suspect everyone in your extended family (and us here, too) are waiting for you to write your memoirs.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

KevinS wrote: February 15th, 2020, 8:21 pm
You know, I suspect everyone in your extended family (and us here, too) are waiting for you to write your memoirs.
Ha! Well, I do think about it from time to time, but then a new LV project grabs my attention. :lol:
That and the fact that I'm still working full time. Maybe another year or so.
I have a friend that I met in seminary who is quite a world traveler (I spent three weeks with him in Nepal last year) who is compiling notes on the international haircuts he's had. I think he is up to 93 or 94 countries, but has visited something like 124. He just added East Timor while traveling with a friend I first met in Haiti when he was just a medical resident, and I gave him one of his first adventures to a remote island. He's been to 178 or something. He heads a global medical relief organization now.

How would I organize my memoirs?
How about a litany of my failures? Or, corollary, how often I've been rescued from disaster? More likey, the people to whom I am indebted in those and other ways. Each one of us is part of a large network of people, for more intricated and deep and preceding any thought of what we now call the "internet" or the "world wide web." That's as far as I'll go now.

And, apologies to the others -- should have made this a PM
~ Larry
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Larry, that is amazing. I am among the ones waiting for your memoirs now, too!

Over to Readers Found.
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

YuqingJune wrote: February 15th, 2020, 7:14 pm This is China (according to the author as of 1896, of course):

PL OK! Many thanks to you!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

alg1001 wrote: February 16th, 2020, 7:46 am Larry, that is amazing. I am among the ones waiting for your memoirs now, too!

Over to Readers Found.
Well..... seems some of my post disappeared. The friend mentioned allowed me to share three weeks in Nepal and India last year. He is compiling for a book his international haircuts. Just hit number 91 last week in East Timor (but his 124th country to visit) travelling with another mutual friend, for whom this was country 176. (I took him on one of his first trips to a remote island of Haiti back when he was just a medical resident. He know leads a couple of international relief and medical organizations.) I've visited a mere 20 countries, and look forward to adding to that list in some meaningful ways. For now, happy to be grandpa in New Hampshire. :D
~ Larry
drandall

Post by drandall »

Thanks,
drandall
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Oops! Didn't get the new claim tranferred to my master reading list.
I'll so so and put it at the top of my list.
Just got an invite to join my paripatetic friend and a trip to Sikkim and Bhutan. A dream of mine (had id scheduled last time but had to cancel due to political unrest on the border). But, no finances in had this time around. So sad. He lives in the Philippines now, when he's not globe trotting, in the shadow of the Taal Volcano that recently erupted. He was instrumental brining thousands of dollars of medical relief supplies in and work teams to help with the clean up.
~ Larry
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

silverquill wrote: February 29th, 2020, 7:07 pm Oops! Didn't get the new claim tranferred to my master reading list.
I'll so so and put it at the top of my list.
Just got an invite to join my paripatetic friend and a trip to Sikkim and Bhutan. A dream of mine (had id scheduled last time but had to cancel due to political unrest on the border). But, no finances in had this time around. So sad. He lives in the Philippines now, when he's not globe trotting, in the shadow of the Taal Volcano that recently erupted. He was instrumental brining thousands of dollars of medical relief supplies in and work teams to help with the clean up.
If you do get to pack your bag, don't worry about this project. It will get done in one way or the other.

To be honest, however, I'm not sure I would want to travel until the virus situation is a bit more clear.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

drandall wrote: February 29th, 2020, 6:49 pm Section 5: Persia and Palestine
Duration: 10:23
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/1001questions_05_hathaway_128kb.mp3

Section 6: Greece
Duration: 33:03
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/1001questions_06_hathaway_128kb.mp3
Thank you SO much! This helps a lot!
drandall

Post by drandall »

You are more than welcome Kevin, glad to contribute :D