SOLO Mutual Aid: A Factor of Evolution by Peter Kropotkin-ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
LittleMyshkin

Post by LittleMyshkin » February 16th, 2020, 12:58 pm

Mutual Aid: a Factor of Evolution by Peter Kropotkin by Peter Kropotkin (1842 - 1921).

Mutual Aid is Kropotkin's classic scientific study of cooperation and mutual support in humans and (non-human) animals, originally published in book form in 1902. It is a thoroughly researched challenge to Hobbes' idea of "the war of all against all" and Social Darwinist assumptions about competition, individualism and elitism. Kropotkin draws on zoology, anthropology, history and other fields in cataloging examples and patterns of sharing and common ownership. Writing over a century ago, the Russian in exile in England was promoting a non-romantic yet respectful and appreciative account of peoples outside of "civilization". He uses the terms "savage" and "barbarian" in a descriptive, anthropological way, not a racial or negative sense.
--The citations and footnotes that were mainly citations were omitted from the reading. ( LittleMyshkin)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4341
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: SY2k5ksZ

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Peter Kropotkin) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Kropotkin

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_Aid:_A_Factor_of_Evolution
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 11
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1902
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? LittleMyshkin Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Social Science (Culture & Anthropology); *Non-fiction/Political Science; *Non-fiction/Animals

Keywords that describe the book: anarchism, guilds, communism, property, communalism, cooperation, sharing, voluntary association

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Section [number] of Mutual Aid: a Factor of Evolution by Peter Kropotkin. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Mutual Aid: a Factor of Evolution by Peter Kropotkin, by Peter Kropotkin. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Section [number] of Mutual Aid: a Factor of Evolution by Peter Kropotkin by Peter Kropotkin. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Mutual Aid: a Factor of Evolution by Peter Kropotkin, by Peter Kropotkin. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename mutualaid2_##_kropotkin_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. mutualaid2_01_kropotkin_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: annise
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » February 16th, 2020, 10:36 pm

I haven't time to MC this just now , but a good start for would be to take about 1 minute of your recording , make it match our technical needs formats and post it in listeners wanted as you technical test

Anne

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » February 18th, 2020, 3:19 pm

How's the tech trial going (aka 1 minute test). We need to be sure you can make the files work for Archive before going any further?

Anne

LittleMyshkin

Post by LittleMyshkin » February 18th, 2020, 9:55 pm

Hey, I just posted a short sample in the listeners wanted section.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » February 18th, 2020, 11:36 pm

LittleMyshkin wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 9:55 pm
Hey, I just posted a short sample in the listeners wanted section.
Maybe edit your message to say it's a 1-minute sample, so folks will not be put off (they don't want to download long files)
In case you haven't found out yet you can edit your post using the little pencil icon top right-hand side.

Anne
nevermind - I edited it

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » February 19th, 2020, 4:49 pm

I had a swift listen and the tech bits are fine so I've started setting up a MW
Next thing is to decide about how many sections you'll want. Looking at the other version, chapters 2 and 3 would exceed our maximum length - 80 mins is the absolute maximum. It's possible to add sections as you go but if you do split, the intro needs to be section number not chapter number, The files names always match the section number
So let me know what you think, You may be a faster reader but non fiction often needs to be a bit slower to be understand

Anne

LittleMyshkin

Post by LittleMyshkin » February 21st, 2020, 7:20 pm

Hey, Thanks for changing the post title and taking a listen. I think 11 sections will work, unless you would recommend splitting up more of the longer chapters. Ch 2, as you said is too long and Ch. 3 is 73 minutes. Eight chapters, an introduction, appendix, and 2 sections for Ch. 2. How does that sound?

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » February 21st, 2020, 7:42 pm

That's fine
For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

Note that passwords for the magic window and the forum are not connected. You can use the same password in both places (I think a lot of people do), but if you change it on one system, it won't affect the password on the other system.

Next, you'll need to start entering section (or chapter) titles. I've entered the first couple to get you started.

Then you are ready to start recording. When you upload a section, it's your responsibility to add the link and duration (mm:ss) to the Magic Window. Link from the uploader goes in the "listen URL" column, duration goes in the "notes" column. Then be sure to post in the thread that a new section is ready for PL so your DPL knows there is something new.

chulsky

Post by chulsky » February 26th, 2020, 1:21 pm

May I DPL this project please?
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
Readers invited: Стихи Веневитинова
PL/DPL in Russian invited: Аграфена

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » February 27th, 2020, 8:36 pm

Thank you, I'll add you

Anne
Done
As it will be the readers first project the first file will need a careful eye on the intro outro etc.

chulsky

Post by chulsky » February 28th, 2020, 3:16 am

I noticed this is the first project. Will do my part to make it smooth :-)
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
Readers invited: Стихи Веневитинова
PL/DPL in Russian invited: Аграфена

LittleMyshkin

Post by LittleMyshkin » February 28th, 2020, 12:40 pm

Thanks for the help, both of you. I'm slowed down here because I've been working a lot but I should be able to get these files up soon.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » February 28th, 2020, 3:37 pm

Now we are all set up, we'll move to "going solo".........

LittleMyshkin

Post by LittleMyshkin » March 20th, 2020, 5:55 pm

Hello friends, I hope you're doing okay during this pandemic. I understand if the project doesn't get finished as soon as it would otherwise. It's taken me a while because I got a new phone and finally figured out how to transfer files and also how to use Audacity on a basic level. I uploaded the introduction into the uploader. It ended up being 23:15.9sec. Hopefully it's close to looking and sounding right. Thanks!

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » March 20th, 2020, 6:06 pm

Nice to hear from you , the first section is always a big step for newbies.
I just added the other 2 things you need to add to the MW - the time in the notes field (it gives us a check on file completeness as we go)
And change the status to PL needed - this flags the DPL on his prooflistening page

Anne
You have a readers page - just click on your name in the MW