[Complete] The Fortune Hunter - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

The Fortune Hunter: A Novel of New York Society by Anna Cora Mowatt (1819 - 1870).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-fortune-hunter-a-novel-of-new-york-society-by-anna-cora-mowatt-ritchie/
Mowatt wrote The Fortune Hunter to be submitted to a contest held by the New World newspaper. (The novel won the $100 prize.) Contest rules dictated that the title of the work, that the setting had to be New York, and that the text had to be completed within six months. So, recycling a few characters from short stories written under the pen name “Helen Berkeley,” Mowatt quickly created a tale that started with two fashionable fellows in search of wealthy wives -- Brainard and Ellery. They, in turn, are pursued by the inexorable debt collector, Mr. Badger. Then the reader is introduced to the objects of the bachelors’ chase, the Clinton sisters. The elder sister, Rachel, has become so disgusted with this cynical game of fortune hunting that she has decided to renounce her claim to her portion of her father’s fortune to escape the mendacity of suitors like Brainard and Ellery. Ester, the melodramatic, Byron-quoting, younger sister (who is now trying to go by the name Estelle) is perfectly happy to play the game, as long as it is by the rules she sets. Love is no game to Miss Arria Walton, penniless orphan and best friend of the sisters, who is desperately in love with young Dr. Edgar Chadwick. Rapid twists and turns of fate and sudden reversals of fortune characterize the plot of this comic melodrama that is part Jane Austen, part Charles Dickens, but establishes a delightful Victorian Americana flavoring all of its own. ( Kelly S. Taylor)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044080924996&view=1up&seq=5
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Anna Cora Mowatt) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Cora_Mowatt
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 20
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known):
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Kelly S. Taylor Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?: www.tla.wapshotpress.org
============================================

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published 1800 -1900

Keywords that describe the book: comedy, romance, melodrama

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of The Fortune Hunter: A Novel of New York Society. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "The Fortune Hunter: A Novel of New York Society, by Anna Cora Mowatt. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of The Fortune Hunter: A Novel of New York Society by Anna Cora Mowatt. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Fortune Hunter: A Novel of New York Society, by Anna Cora Mowatt. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by ktaylor07 on February 26th, 2020, 9:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I'll set this up for you.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

OK, it's set up.

It looks like this is your first time as BC. I have added you to the list of BCs and can walk you through this .

First of all, near the top of the first post, probably to the right but it may be fairly central, depending on your browser, you will see a stubby little pencil icon. That is so you can edit the first post.

A few things to note:
:D
Have you lined up a DPL? If not, you should add a tilde (~) to the subject line. If you have someone in mind, I will need to give him/her access to the MW. Don't worry if you have no one in mind. Someone will volunteer.

Secondly, the summary must be your own words... I think, by looking at it, it is, but just to make sure :D

Next, that whole section on id tags can be deleted. It's a throwback to our old software and anything you enter gets over-written. And it can cause problems at cataloguing,,, I've only had problems a couple of times, but I had to go through deleting them all (which took ages!)

You can change the file name at this point, but it looks as if you've already shortened it. You only changed it in one place, so I did it in the other. Probably not a big deal in the solo, but old habits die hard :roll:

I will give you instructions for the MW in a separate post, but if you have questions, please ask.
Lynne
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Here are the instructions for logging in to the MW. It is the same for a DPL as for a BC. Please note, this only gives you access to the MW for projects where you are DPL or BC.

Accessing the System – First Time Login
1. Use this Link to go the main login screen: http://librivox.org/workflow
2. Click on Login (for BCs & MCs)
3. Enter your forum username.
4. Click “Forgot Password” 
5. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click the link and enter a password and submit the form. (Note this should be more secure than your 'regular' password)
6. Go back to the main login screen and use the new password you entered above to log in to the system. 
7. When you log in from the main screen above, you will be taken to the LibriVox Management Dashboard default screen where you should see a list of your active projects along with options for dropdown menus, searching and editing your profile. (more on this later)
For more explicit step by step directions with screen shots, please see Accessing the System - First Time Login 
NOTE: BCs should use their personal workflow login to upload files. If you recently logged in with the general login to upload files to a project and the system still had you logged in, you may see this: 
You don't have permissions for this area. 
Return to Librivox Management Tool Homepage 
Logout 
To remedy this, click Logout and then login with your BC login and password. 

Please note, this doesn't always work the first time.

If you are still having trouble after 3 or 4 attempts, PM knotyouraveragejo

The MW is probably straightforward...
I started entering the titles, to show you how it's done. No need for chapter numbers. Hit enter when you have finished typing. You can either go through entering them all now, or as you go on, one chapter at a time.

I have entered you as reader for all sections.

The notes column is where you put the time for each file. In this column, you have to 'save'.

Paste your URL from the uploader in the Listen URL column, hit enter. The Link column is automatically populated when you do this.

The status column is a drop-down menu. Remember to change the status whenever you upload a file. That triggers a message to Your DPL.

There is no need to paste the link in the thread, as you would for a group project, although many soloists do. Just post "I've uploaded chapter 8" will suffice.

I think that's it. Any questions, please ask.
Have fun!

Oh yes, one more thing. It's on your schedule, but if life happens and you don't post for a couple of months, please post in the thread "I've been busy but still working on it" or something similar, so I don't think you've been abducted by aliens, and abandon the project .
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Lynnet wrote: February 24th, 2020, 12:02 pm I'll set this up for you.
Hooray! Thanks!
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Lynnet wrote: February 24th, 2020, 12:14 pm OK, it's set up.

It looks like this is your first time as BC. I have added you to the list of BCs and can walk you through this .

First of all, near the top of the first post, probably to the right but it may be fairly central, depending on your browser, you will see a stubby little pencil icon. That is so you can edit the first post.

A few things to note:
Have you lined up a DPL? If not, you should add a tilde (~) to the subject line. If you have someone in mind, I will need to give him/her access to the MW. Don't worry if you have no one in mind. Someone will volunteer.

Secondly, the summary must be your own words... I think, by looking at it, it is, but just to make sure :D

Next, that whole section on id tags can be deleted. It's a throwback to our old software and anything you enter gets over-written. And it can cause problems at cataloguing,,, I've only had problems a couple of times, but I had to go through deleting them all (which took ages!)

You can change the file name at this point, but it looks as if you've already shortened it. You only changed it in one place, so I did it in the other. Probably not a big deal in the solo, but old habits die hard :roll:

I will give you instructions for the MW in a separate post, but if you have questions, please ask.
Lynne
How do I edit the subject line?

No, I don't have a DPL. And yes, I wrote the summary.
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

ktaylor07 wrote: February 24th, 2020, 12:51 pm
Lynnet wrote: February 24th, 2020, 12:14 pm OK, it's set up.

A few things to note:

Lynne
How do I edit the subject line?
Nevermind about the subject line - I figured that one out. I was able to log in as a BC and assign the chapters. I combined a few chapters because there are some that have only a couple pages.

When you say delete the section on id tags -- Are you talking about the lines that begin with asterisks down to the line that begins "Transfer of files"?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

ktaylor07 wrote: February 24th, 2020, 2:00 pm
When you say delete the section on id tags -- Are you talking about the lines that begin with asterisks down to the line that begins "Transfer of files"?
Yes, this section:

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Anna Cora Mowatt
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: The Fortune Hunter: A Novel of New York Society

It doesn’t matter if you leave it, just don’t add the I’d tags to your files :lol: :lol:
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Lynnet wrote: February 24th, 2020, 4:56 pm
Yes, this section:

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags

It doesn’t matter if you leave it, just don’t add the I’d tags to your files :lol: :lol:
oh, okay! :) So, we wait for someone to volunteer to DPL now?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

ktaylor07 wrote: February 24th, 2020, 5:36 pm
Yes, this section:

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags

Yes, but in the meantime you can start recording and adding files.

We'll stay on the Launch Pad for now, as many potential DPLs look there first. After a couple of days, we can move to Going Solo. If you don't have a DPL by the time you have 3 or 4 section completed, we can advertise in Listeners Wanted.
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Lynnet wrote: February 24th, 2020, 5:57 pm
ktaylor07 wrote: February 24th, 2020, 5:36 pm

Yes, this section:

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags

Yes, but in the meantime you can start recording and adding files.

We'll stay on the Launch Pad for now, as many potential DPLs look there first. After a couple of days, we can move to Going Solo. If you don't have a DPL by the time you have 3 or 4 section completed, we can advertise in Listeners Wanted.
Okay, will do!
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

ktaylor07 wrote: February 25th, 2020, 8:27 am I've recorded section 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/fortunehunter_01_mowatt_128kb.mp3

Duration: 38:30
You should paste this into the MW, put the time in the notes section, and change the dropdown menu to say "Ready for PL"
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Lynnet wrote: February 25th, 2020, 9:06 am
ktaylor07 wrote: February 25th, 2020, 8:27 am I've recorded section 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/fortunehunter_01_mowatt_128kb.mp3

Duration: 38:30
You should paste this into the MW, put the time in the notes section, and change the dropdown menu to say "Ready for PL"
Okay!
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Chapters 2 and 3 are up.

I have discovered that I have made an error in my plot summary. Arria is not a ward of the Clintons' father. She's just their school-friend. Do I need to fix the wording of my summary any place other than in the first post here?