Studio setup - Mic and Preamp

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
richiehayden

Post by richiehayden »

Hi all,
Wondering if I could get some advice on studio setup from the more experienced. I'd like a good setup for Librivox purposes that would also allow me to move into part time voice acting and record some music (more for myself). I have a space set aside and an acoustic setup I believe will work. I've tried and am considering several mics, and have heard good things about a couple of audio interfaces.
The mics so far are the Rode NT-1, AT 2020 (haven't used), Shure PGA27 or SM7B (with a cloudlifter, at the high end), and the AKG P120 and P220. I really liked the Rode and AKG P220, but also the Shures for clarity. You can probably see the price range I'm looking at - I'm fairly serious about it and feel there are some good mics in there.
I'm also curious about the TZ Audio Stellar X2 or Synco D-2 shotgun mic, and whether anyone has experience with them...
The AIs I'm looking at are the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and the Audient ID4, but I'm open to suggestions too.
Looking forward to your thoughts!
Thanks,

Rich
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

I am about to pull the trigger on the D2
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
richiehayden

Post by richiehayden »

Oooh! I'll be really interested to hear how you find it! Please let me know.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Of the mics you're considering, I've tried the AT2020, AKG220 and Rode. Honestly, you won't be unhappy with any of them, although if you go Audio-Technica I'd go one model up to the 2035; it has a larger capsule like the other two, shock mount and low-cut switch, which the 2020 lacks, all for another $50. I use a Scarlett interface as well, but I'm using the Solo since I only need one track and it requires no software drivers, which have caused me headaches with other makes in the past. The Id4 is also very good, but more expensive; I haven't used one, but I know it has a good rep. The Shure SM7+Cloudlifter is fine, but more costly and no better than the condensers you're looking at IMHO.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
richiehayden

Post by richiehayden »

That's really helpful! Thank you.
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

As Mark says, the AT 2035 is a fine mic - and you would be happy with it.

I believe that the Audio Stellar X2 is just a rebadged BM700, which is a Chinese condenser sold under a variety of brand names, including ISK and Neewer. The BM700 is not a bad mic, but I wouldn't spend $140 on it. Here is a review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThK8uxlQ-qg

if you were looking at a more expensive unit, like the Rode NT1, you should also consider the Sennheiser MK4, which I use myself. I call it the "poor man's Neumann." You can find a review here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYg2AAvDL0U&t=200s

For interfaces I have used the following:

Scarlet Focusrite 2i2 (Ist gen)
Steinberg UR12
Yamaha AG06
Audient ID4

All have worked well except the 2i2, from which I could never get sufficient gain.

It is also recommended that a good pair of headphones be included. I use the Audio Technica ATH M40X:
https://amzn.to/2RFPbp5

Happy shopping!

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by schrm »

just to mention it: a set with headphones, cables, mic and audio interface is available from focusrite, from rode, audiotechnica as well as some others with varying contents
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
richiehayden

Post by richiehayden »

This is all great info. Thank you.
richiehayden

Post by richiehayden »

sjmarky wrote: January 29th, 2020, 11:01 am I use a Scarlett interface as well, but I'm using the Solo since I only need one track and it requires no software drivers, which have caused me headaches with other makes in the past.
Just curious about the gain needed with the solo, since I've seen multiple posts saying you need to crank the gain on the 2i2 to get anywhere near something good. What's your experience been?
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

You didn't ask me (sorry to barge in), and I don't have a solo... But it might interest you to know that of three (so far) different interfaces I have tried, all needed to be cranked up to the max with a dynamic microphone, and not to the max for a condenser. I just got myself a mic booster, which allows me to back out the knob of the preamp gain to about 80% (for about the same mic-mouth distance) to obtain the same recording levels with my dynamic mic. Just thought I'd share.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
richiehayden

Post by richiehayden »

No need to apologise! Thanks for chiming in. Very helpful. What condensor/s do you use?
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

When I use a condenser, it's an AKG C214.

Nowadays I usually record with an Electro-Voice RE320. I like it better because it's less sensitive to distant/ambient noises and it has no proximity effect to speak of.

I recently switched from Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD to Focusrite Clarett 2Pre and added a KLARK Technik mic booster to the RE320.

Mind you, this is an amateur setup in my living room. This is a pure hobby and I have some funds I can burn; as far as LV is concerned it's a severe overkill.
tovarisch
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

richiehayden wrote: February 20th, 2020, 1:50 pm
sjmarky wrote: January 29th, 2020, 11:01 am I use a Scarlett interface as well, but I'm using the Solo since I only need one track and it requires no software drivers, which have caused me headaches with other makes in the past.
Just curious about the gain needed with the solo, since I've seen multiple posts saying you need to crank the gain on the 2i2 to get anywhere near something good. What's your experience been?
I have plenty of gain using any of my condenser mics. It would likely not have enough gain for a dynamic, and would need a supplemental preamp, such as a Cloudlifter.

My website
My Librivox reader page
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

And, to add to what Mark said, a Cloudlifter CL-1 or a Fethead would likely be better than what I tried, a KLARK Technik mic booster. The latter is not without noise. It adds a very audible high-pitch whine to the recording. What a shame. I am returning mine.

If you can try one before paying for it, do. I am losing the return shipping cost, and writing it off as the price of the lesson learned ("you get what you pay for").
tovarisch
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

If your concern is extraneous noise, the S Mic 2 might be a better way to go than a dynamic. BoomMike posted his test in listeners with one, and it sounds really good. I seriously considered one after moving into a new house in which the acoustics in my recording space were a problem. I ultimately went with a CAD e100s, which is a supercardioid which helped solve my problem, but the SM2 I'm sure would have been fine (for less money).

My website
My Librivox reader page