[COMPLETE] The Afghan Wars 1829-42 and 1878-80, Part 2, by Archibald Forbes - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

JohanSupertramp wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 5:29 am https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/afghanwarspart2_02_forbes_128kb.mp3
Section 2
I'm unable to download the MP3Gain tool to help with my volume, due to the version of iOS on my Macbook. If you wouldn't mind fixing that for me, I would appreciate it. :D
Thank you for the chapter! I know that this is not the easiest reading, with the extended sentences and phrasing a bit different than we're used to using.

Actually, Checker reads the volume as coming in just happy enough, so I've got this on my PL list for the day, as is. :) (I use Checker for the bulk of my file-checking - will that program load for you?) Checker Tool

I don't think somebody else can edit a file and re-upload it for you without losing your "ownership" of it. I think that would strip your name and put the fixer's name on it in the system? I don't have that technical knowledge yet, but I have never seen anyone do this, even in cases where the reader has been incommunicado for several months. Maybe Tricia can tell us if that's technically impossible or "just" taboo?
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

JohanSupertramp wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 5:29 am https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/afghanwarspart2_02_forbes_128kb.mp3
Section 2
I'm unable to download the MP3Gain tool to help with my volume, due to the version of iOS on my Macbook. If you wouldn't mind fixing that for me, I would appreciate it. :D
Yes, this chapter is PL OK :thumbs:

It's an excellent reading of a not-at-all easy chapter. And long! Your contribution is greatly appreciate. :)

(If you haven't done so already, you may want to bump the recording volume up .1 or .2 for your next recording, but this volume here just slips in at the low end of the desired range.)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It's not "taboo" but we don't usually do it. I've done minor edits on readers' sections after they have disappeared; it's nicer than ditching the file altogether, if it can be salvaged. But the DPL doesn't make edits for the reader.

In a case like this - sounds like it was a volume issue? - the DPL could give a number to the reader, like, "Please amplify by 3 dB". The reader then wouldn't have to use special software to do it.

OR...Johan...

There's a plugin for Audacity that will tell you how much to amplify your recordings, or how far off you are from "ideal" volume. It's called ReplayGain. Instructions for installing and using it are on this page: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Swaraelia

Post by Swaraelia »

Guten tag, Monsieur! Could I please claim #4 and #5, Chapter IV? Thank you! :D
-Justin J. Liu
Qualified producer of carbon dioxide since the late 2000s
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Swaraelia wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 8:12 pm Guten tag, Monsieur! Could I please claim #4 and #5, Chapter IV? Thank you! :D
Hi, Justin - Welcome to LibriVox!

You are absolutely welcome to do these sections, and I will reserve them for you. One thing, first:

You will need to do the 1-Minute Test recording and submit it to the Listeners Wanted board, to make sure your technical settings and volume are all correct and the equipment is working for you. You don't want to do all the work of recording sections like these and then find out it needs to be redone. Here's a link for how to do that: 1-Minute Test
~Lynette * -
Swaraelia

Post by Swaraelia »

LCaulkins wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 8:37 pm
Swaraelia wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 8:12 pm Guten tag, Monsieur! Could I please claim #4 and #5, Chapter IV? Thank you! :D

You are absolutely welcome to do these sections, and I will reserve them for you. One thing, first:

You will need to do the 1-Minute Test recording and submit it to the Listeners Wanted board, to make sure your technical settings and volume are all correct and the equipment is working for you. You don't want to do all the work of recording sections like these and then find out it needs to be redone. Here's a link for how to do that: 1-Minute Test
Thank you! I shall, on the morrow!
-Justin J. Liu
Swaraelia

Post by Swaraelia »

Swaraelia wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 8:46 pm

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=78362
I have done so! I shall begin on this then, may I?
-Justin J. Liu
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Swaraelia wrote: February 24th, 2020, 4:59 pm

Hey, there! I *love* seeing your enthusiasm, and am very glad you'll be working with us on this project. :)

There are a couple tweaks that need to be done with your recording setup before you get a lot of time invested on a chapter - but I left a detailed note for that over on the test post for you. Easy fixes!
~Lynette * -
Swaraelia

Post by Swaraelia »

LCaulkins wrote: February 24th, 2020, 5:23 pm
Swaraelia wrote: February 24th, 2020, 4:59 pm
Hey, there! I *love* seeing your enthusiasm, and am very glad you'll be working with us on this project. :)

There are a couple tweaks that need to be done with your recording setup before you get a lot of time invested on a chapter - but I left a detailed note for that over on the test post for you. Easy fixes!
Thank you...for that! What a wonderful community LibriVox is-ye?
-Justin J. Liu
Swaraelia

Post by Swaraelia »

Hurrah! I have completed the 1-Minute Test, and shall embark on the treacherous path of recording, with your permission!
-Justin J. Liu
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Swaraelia wrote: March 1st, 2020, 8:05 pm Hurrah! I have completed the 1-Minute Test, and shall embark on the treacherous path of recording, with your permission!
Absolutely!
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Swaraelia wrote: March 1st, 2020, 8:05 pm Hurrah! I have completed the 1-Minute Test, and shall embark on the treacherous path of recording, with your permission!
Hey, you're good to start recording already on the sections that were reserved for you. I went to get the sections actually signed onto your name, but - we have to create your Catalog name to be able to do that. :)

Swaraelia is your forum working name - your Catalog name will be what is seen by the public at large when they're looking at an audiobook. Some people use their forum name, some use their real life name, some use a pseudonym.

So tell me what you want your Catalog name to be, and I'll get it made and the sections signed onto it. Also, we can link a URL if you have a personal web page that you want listed on your Reader page in the Catalog, so tell us that, too, if you want it put on your page. :)
~Lynette * -
Swaraelia

Post by Swaraelia »

LCaulkins wrote: March 1st, 2020, 8:38 pm
Hey, you're good to start recording already on the sections that were reserved for you. I went to get the sections actually signed onto your name, but - we have to create your Catalog name to be able to do that. :)

Swaraelia is your forum working name - your Catalog name will be what is seen by the public at large when they're looking at an audiobook. Some people use their forum name, some use their real life name, some use a pseudonym.

So tell me what you want your Catalog name to be, and I'll get it made and the sections signed onto it. Also, we can link a URL if you have a personal web page that you want listed on your Reader page in the Catalog, so tell us that, too, if you want it put on your page. :)
Cheers! My name is Justin J Liu, and I don’t have a personal website because-considering the joys of figuring out the whole 1 minute Peter Piper mess I don’t think I could handle Wix.
-Justin J. Liu
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Swaraelia wrote: March 1st, 2020, 8:51 pm
Cheers! My name is Justin J Liu, and I don’t have a personal website because-considering the joys of figuring out the whole 1 minute Peter Piper mess I don’t think I could handle Wix.
Here is your Catalog Reader Page: Justin J Liu

It will list all the projects you're working on (and all the finished ones, when you have those), and you can see the Reader Section Details link that will show for you all the sections your name is hooked up to for either reading, or for PL work on the second tab.

Have fun! Very glad to have you with us. :)
~Lynette * -
Swaraelia

Post by Swaraelia »

I would like to apologise, for I cannot continue the recording of audio. The technological issues have amounted too much for me to deal with, and other external factors have led me to believe that I am unfit for this position for the time being. I do not wish to waste any of your time anymore, and so it would be prudent to re-open up the position. I sincerely apologise and hope I do not burn any bridges with such a wonderful community.
Au Revoir.
-Justin J. Liu