COMPLETE: The Chimney Corner by Harriet Beecher Stowe -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

amethyst855 wrote: February 13th, 2020, 2:50 pm Section 4 please.

This is my first recording for Librivox.

Name:
Kiran Fatima

www.kiranfatima.com
Hello Kiran and welcome to the project. I will reserve Section 4, Part 1 for you, though I'd prefer someone read the whole chapter (Sections 4 and 5). However as this is your first recording, I highly recommend you head over to the forums first (Short Works, Books) and pick some shorter pieces (1200 words or less) to cut your teeth on before taking on a 20 or 30 minute file. Stowe is not the easiest author to read. I'd start out with something 10 minutes or less (short poetry and children's books are great places to find these), to get the hang of reading the BC's instructions in the First Post, recording, editing, proofing, naming and uploading files, etc.
We have many tutorials on our Wiki to help you through this process (see top menu) viewforum.php?f=17
and lots of volunteers willing to lend a hand -- including me.

Take your time and ease in. We aren't going anywhere! It's thrilling to have you here.
amethyst855

Post by amethyst855 »

Ok Michele. Thanks for the feedback. I will find a shorter work first. I'll let you know within a week if I can still do this section (as well as 3.2).
msfry

Post by msfry »

amethyst855 wrote: February 13th, 2020, 6:36 pm Ok Michele. Thanks for the feedback. I will find a shorter work first. I'll let you know within a week if I can still do this section (as well as 3.2).
Ok. I forgot to mention you to check out the Weekly and Fortnightly poetry projects. Always fun, easy, short, and you can get lots of experience and meet people quickly.
kristineasay

Post by kristineasay »

I'd like to read ch 5. I've submitted my 1 min test but have not heard back. This will be my first recording for librivox.

thanks,

Kristine Asay
msfry

Post by msfry »

kristineasay wrote: February 14th, 2020, 7:29 pm I'd like to read ch 5. I've submitted my 1 min test but have not heard back. This will be my first recording for librivox.

thanks,

Kristine Asay
Hi Kristine, and welcome to the project. I've listened to your test and it sounds good to me, but someone will come along with a formal OK. Because the previous poster also claimed sections 4 and 5 (Chapter 2, Parts 1 and 2), I can't give you those but will be happy to reserve another. BUT FIRST, I strongly encourage you to select a few shorter, easier sections on other projects. Please read the 3 posts above this one where I explained the process to another first time reader. Thanks, and I look forward to working with you soon.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: February 11th, 2020, 9:20 am Here is Chapter 1. It is long, but very thought provoking, I think.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chimneycorner_01_hbstowe.mp3 37:40
Wonderful reading! Outstanding.
But there is one PL Note:
18:17 missing text: ...might have satisfaction "as feeling
herself useful in the highest and best way ; for the child's nurse, if she be a pious, well-educated woman, may make the whole course of nursery-life an education in goodness.
" Then, what is...

And, if you're in a perfectionist mood:
18:54 "succor" heard sue-ker. s/b pronounced: sucker (dictionary shows both vowels as schwas)
30:49 to 30:51 an intrusive low hum
32:26 to 32:27.5 more hum

This was a very enjoyable read.
My long experience in the data processing departments of businesses has shown me that in every organization there is always one woman who knows more about the business than us guys walking around in coats and ties.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: February 13th, 2020, 11:30 am Section 2 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chimneycorner_02_hbstowe.mp3 24:59

Mercifully, shorter than the previous section!
Nice job as always, Michele.
There is one divergence from the text that I heard:
18:43 heard: of a high class "morality"
s/b of a high class "morally"

BUT, from start to finish there is a low, low hum in the background. It came to my attention as I was hitting the space bar to stop and start the audio. It is faintly in the background, but became a nuisance after a while. Once, while going to the fridge to get a drink, I opened the fridge's door and THERE WAS THAT SAME HUM! Could be a coincidence. Could just be 60-cycle hum from a fan or something.

I used the 5 seconds at the end of file to do the noise-reduction exercise, and the hum went away totally.
Last edited by williamjones on February 19th, 2020, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

Claim sections 11 and 12 please.
Signature: KATHLEEN
msfry

Post by msfry »

2839reader wrote: February 19th, 2020, 9:35 pm Claim sections 11 and 12 please.
Thanks Kathleen. You're in!
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

I would be much obliged if you were to assign me sections 13 and 14, ma'am.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: February 20th, 2020, 4:16 am I would be much obliged if you were to assign me sections 13 and 14, ma'am.
Thanks, Bill. You're in!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Sections 1 and 2 have been repaired and uploaded. Thanks for the PLs. I hope you will PL Section 3 when I upload it, which is recorded but not yet edited.

Adding the extra phrase on 1 bumped the time up by 12 seconds.
I could hear only a slight hum but went ahead and recorded over those spots.
I never use the word "succor" so don't have occasion to pronounce it, but I wince at the thought of a sick person being suckered by a nurse! :shock:

fixed "morally"
I did not hear any hum on 2, but I noise cleaned it per your instructions.
Do different headphones sound all that different? OMG, that is a horrid thought!
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: February 20th, 2020, 7:43 am Sections 1 and 2 have been repaired and uploaded. Thanks for the PLs. I hope you will PL Section 3 when I upload it, which is recorded but not yet edited.

Adding the extra phrase on 1 bumped the time up by 12 seconds.
I could hear only a slight hum but went ahead and recorded over those spots.
I never use the word "succor" so don't have occasion to pronounce it, but I wince at the thought of a sick person being suckered by a nurse! :shock:
Funny!! :D

fixed "morally"
I did not hear any hum on 2, but I noise cleaned it per your instructions.
Do different headphones sound all that different? OMG, that is a horrid thought!
I didn't hear the hum without headphones. And, when I use the headphones on other LV files, the hum is absent. So, I had to surmise that there WAS a hum on that file. That's why I mentioned it. I've never seen that happen on any other of your recordings, so that's why I did the experimentation. That's part of the Scientific Method: Reduce the number of variables.

Sure I'll PL section 3 and any others you send my way.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 9 is uploaded. 31 minutes. Link is in MW.
susanjhudson

Post by susanjhudson »

Hello!

I'd like to read Section 6, Ch.4 Is Woman a Worker? I'm curious to find out how Ms. Stowe answered that question!

Best,

Susan Hudson