MARCH Toward the Finish Line - 2019 Cleanup Month!

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

adr6090 wrote: February 18th, 2020, 8:24 am Hello,
I realize March is the month to assist with uncompleted works so I am checking....
April
Huh?

No, there's nothing official. You're welcome to personally take on this goal, however.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
linny

Post by linny »

If anyone still wanted to help with last year's clean-up there are still 3 projects open.

The Deluge (vol 2) by Henryk Sienkiewicz: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65119 Launched Apr '17, 24 of 65 sections open

[Dutch] Naakt Model door C. S. Adama van Scheltema viewtopic.php?f=60&t=56088 Note: This is a play with 2 MALE roles open, and the BC prefers them to be read by men.

[German] Interessante Kriminalprozesse von Hugo Friedlaender: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=59891 Launched Feb '16, 18 of 76 sections open
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

There are no hard and fast rules, but typically, in past years a clean up month was considered when Readers Wanted gets to be 3 pages and/or Readers Found is on to a second page. Neither of these is the case at present. :) On the other hand, it never hurts for BCs to go through and orphan any long overdue claims to keep projects moving. :wink:
Jo
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

linny wrote: February 18th, 2020, 9:46 am If anyone still wanted to help with last year's clean-up there are still 3 projects open.
:hmm: Should I be worried that two out of those three are mine own BC projects? :shock:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

No, you would just accept that non-English projects have a smaller pool of readers. Though it still pays to keep them up to date.
But maybe I should have checked that they were the Dutch and German ones.

Anne
(and I'm not saying they aren't up to date)
schrm

Post by schrm »

Availle wrote: February 18th, 2020, 9:59 pm :hmm: Should I be worried that two out of those three are mine own BC projects? :shock:
maybe in the lines of: you started unique projects, not the easiest ones, have much patience and ambition and offer group projects for everyone?
:?: 8-)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
niobium

Post by niobium »

at the moment it appears there are a little less than 100 collaborative works in progress and close to 300 solo projects. Im not sure if I can recall what the number was prior to last years cleanup, but it looks like they have averaged out again.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

A clean up is supposed to be fun. To see projects which were not pushed for a while completed is fun. To think how to push projects is fun. To be over ambitious is fun. To see people going out of the way to read things they would not have normaly read is fun. I started here during a clean up month when I was asked to dpl a project I would have normaly not taken because I thought it wasn't my style. I loved it. There were a few more. I think It also unites us as a team and welcomed new volunteers as I was welcomed. However, with all that said, I don't think I can decide when a cleaning month would take place and what the policy about it would be. I cannot decide because I am not the admin who has to catalogue many projects and work hard. I work as much as I think I can. I do what I can. But I understand why admins may decide to make the efert only once in a few years.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
schrm

Post by schrm »

miss stav wrote: February 19th, 2020, 9:53 pm A clean up is supposed to be fun. To see projects which were not pushed for a while completed is fun. To think how to push projects is fun. To be over ambitious is fun. To see people going out of the way to read things they would not have normaly read is fun. I started here during a clean up month when I was asked to dpl a project I would have normaly not taken because I thought it wasn't my style. I loved it. There were a few more. I think It also unites us as a team and welcomed new volunteers as I was welcomed. However, with all that said, I don't think I can decide when a cleaning month would take place and what the policy about it would be. I cannot decide because I am not the admin who has to catalogue many projects and work hard. I work as much as I think I can. I do what I can. But I understand why admins may decide to make the efert only once in a few years.
your thoughts are to the point!
and maybe you motivated me again, stav - thank you!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I really enjoyed the cleanup month last year as well, and agree with Miss Stav that the feeling of teamwork and pitching in on projects that have been languishing, even things outside one's normal "comfort zone" was part of the appeal. I'm certainly not demanding one be organized or anything like that, just saying that it was a cool experience to take part in, and I'll definitely be up for it should one happen again.

I also like the suggestion of people trying to do their own little individual "clean up" pushes by looking for the projects that have been awaiting more work the longest and doing a section or two of those every so often!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

ColleenMc wrote: February 20th, 2020, 11:52 am individual "clean up" pushes
...I agree. And I seem to recall--probably many years ago now--a simple listing that I once saw that showed each project along with # of completed sections and # open sections--? Maybe like a spreadsheet or something? I can't remember. I'm sure that it is several "laptops" ago for me, so maybe it is still available somewhere but I don't have the link any longer. Or maybe it had to be manually updated and so is no longer done.

At any rate, I recall thinking that it was so helpful. One could look very quickly and easily for, say, all projects with 3 or less sections remaining for completion and then focus on those projects. And, I know--one can open each project and obtain the same info. But I thought that it was really a useful tool.
Kind regards,
Lucretia
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

lubee930 wrote: February 20th, 2020, 12:25 pm
...I agree. And I seem to recall--probably many years ago now--a simple listing that I once saw that showed each project along with # of completed sections and # open sections--? Maybe like a spreadsheet or something? I can't remember. I'm sure that it is several "laptops" ago for me, so maybe it is still available somewhere but I don't have the link any longer. Or maybe it had to be manually updated and so is no longer done.

At any rate, I recall thinking that it was so helpful. One could look very quickly and easily for, say, all projects with 3 or less sections remaining for completion and then focus on those projects. And, I know--one can open each project and obtain the same info. But I thought that it was really a useful tool.
It has just been revived after a couple years' defunct-ness!
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Project_Status_Table
Columns are sortable.

There are two tables; one showing status of Open and Fully Subscribed projects (basically, all that are in the works, group and solo), and one showing a list of projects without an assigned DPL.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

TriciaG wrote: February 20th, 2020, 12:29 pm
lubee930 wrote: February 20th, 2020, 12:25 pm
It has just been revived after a couple years' defunct-ness!
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Project_Status_Table
Columns are sortable.
There are two tables; one showing status of Open and Fully Subscribed projects (basically, all that are in the works, group and solo), and one showing a list of projects without an assigned DPL.
Cool! :D :thumbs:
Kind regards,
Lucretia
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I don't think there is a right or wrong here, however I think not doing one would be the better decision. There are benefits to doing another cleanup month, but the affect is much weaker the more often it happens, and once a year is too often. I would say I would like another clean up month soon because I have projects needing some cleanup (just look at my signature!) and that aren't moving fast, (at all), but I know that I might be the only one. Everyone can set their own goals on completing projects, and we'll have to wait until another time when things do need picking up.