[Complete] Call Mr. Fortune by H.C. Bailey - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

TomHersant wrote: February 18th, 2020, 8:46 pm Greetings, Duffus here.
I've recorded my remaining chapter and find it is too long to submit as one file. I've used my minimalistic search abilities and do not find a method on this site on how to submit it in two parts.
Help is needed in this part of the Simpleton's Universe.
Have you already edited the file, as in how long is it after editing? Sometimes that will bring it to an OK length. Also checker will fail a file for length sooner than LV will. :wink: I think the max is 72 minutes...
~Rosebud
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Fear not!

You are correct in that a file cannot be submitted in 2 parts, which is why we often split chapters into more than one section (at set-up... it would be a monumentous job to do it at this late stage)

Rosebud is correct that Checker fails files over 60 minutes long. Also that we accept files up to about 72 or 74 minutes long... which is about how much can fit on a standard CD without compression. That was the rule "way back when". These days, so few people actually use CDs, we can accept longer files and put a disclaimer in the summary just in case.
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

'Tis close at a total of 72'03". Will recombine and give it a go at submission.
Tommy
Blackboards are truly remarkable!
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

Now here you have Section 2. it has been shaved and shorn to a manageable 1:01.08

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/callmrfortune_02_bailey_128kb.mp3

Tommy
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

TomHersant wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 1:44 am Now here you have Section 2. it has been shaved and shorn to a manageable 1:01.08

Tommy
Thank you. Still quite a marathon, so we’ll done!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

We have an orphan.
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

TomHersant wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 1:44 am Now here you have Section 2. it has been shaved and shorn to a manageable 1:01.08

Tommy
PL notes:
~26:00, speaking to yourself: "on page 11" :)
~52:06 optional edit, I hear 'women' (plural) while I don't think there was more than one involved. Totally your call about changing that.
Also, the background noise seems high yet. Have you done noise cleaning on the file? During the end silence, the line is bumpy enough that I believe it'd make a good sample for you. Then after cleaning the entire file, check ~47:54 to see if that area needs any additional cleaning. Let me know if you have questions.

And thanks for the splendid reading! I love the way you switch voices and accents! It really adds to the story. :)
~Rosebud
dlantz

Post by dlantz »

I volunteer to read the orphaned chapter, "The Business Minister, Phases I and II". I understand why it was orphaned, with the offhand use of the N word, but I believe a good detective story should not be ruined because the author was a man of his time. However, I will do it as anonymously as I can, not announcing my name where I don't have to. I've only done two recordings before, about 18 months ago, but I think I can put the pieces back together. Please let me know if this is acceptable. Dave
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

dlantz wrote: February 27th, 2020, 2:03 pm I volunteer to read the orphaned chapter, "The Business Minister, Phases I and II". I understand why it was orphaned, with the offhand use of the N word, but I believe a good detective story should not be ruined because the author was a man of his time. However, I will do it as anonymously as I can, not announcing my name where I don't have to. I've only done two recordings before, about 18 months ago, but I think I can put the pieces back together. Please let me know if this is acceptable. Dave
Thank you.
We ask you to read “as written”, but I can put a disclaimer in the summary to warn listeners.
Not a problem to not announce your name (although when it is catalogued, the name you have in the catalog will be shown).
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

Greetings, and, if all goes as hoped, Solutions!
I've deleted that bit where I was talking to myself (really, not at all edifying) and ran the piece through a pass of noise reduction. Here is the resulting 1:01.6" of reading. https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/callmrfortune_02_bailey_128kb.mp3.
Tommy
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

TomHersant wrote: March 4th, 2020, 10:51 pm Greetings, and, if all goes as hoped, Solutions!
I've deleted that bit where I was talking to myself (really, not at all edifying) and ran the piece through a pass of noise reduction. Here is the resulting 1:01.6" of reading. https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/callmrfortune_02_bailey_128kb.mp3.
Tommy
Thank you
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

TomHersant wrote: March 4th, 2020, 10:51 pm Greetings, and, if all goes as hoped, Solutions!
Tommy
PL OK :clap: Thank you!
~Rosebud
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

We have an orphan!
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

I would be honored to be assigned The Business Minister series.

Tommy
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

TomHersant wrote: May 1st, 2020, 9:30 pm I would be honored to be assigned The Business Minister series.

Tommy
All yours. Notice it's just parts 1 and 2 8-)