Marty Peterson: Introducing myself!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Martyp

Post by Martyp »

Hello to all!

I am an experienced voice talent, but new to Librivox. I am an avid reader AND audio book listener, and a great fan of the classics: I love the idea of combining my work with my hobby. Just want to get the content out there so ALL can enjoy it!

I have lots of experience with audiobooks -- from children's titles (52 abbreviated classes), to self help to fiction. I also record lots of long form narrations for a variety of uses and clients.

Ive uploaded my 1 minute Sample to the tests-tests site -- which is I think where it's supposed to go? -- and would love feedback!

There is a book I am hoping to record soon, and the producer is anxious to hear feedback as well.

Thanks!

Martyp
Martyp

Post by Martyp »

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Welcome to LibriVox Marty! We are very happy to have someone with your skills and ability here. You will enjoy being creative here and of course have fun. I've made a little video to welcome people; you may find it informative and helpful or then again it may just be confusing. In any case ask lots of questions, we are a helpful bunch here. https://youtu.be/mwtn_2d3_qs

Oh, and Isabella, the happy Librivox penguin welcomes you too Image

If you don't mind me asking, which particular book are you interested in doing?
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Martyp wrote: February 13th, 2020, 11:04 am Here's my link

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Marty_Peterson_1_minute_Sample_-_Virginia.mp3

Using Audacity, AKG mic
Hi Marty,

I've listened to your test. Great reading style. :) A couple of technical settings that need to be adjusted before you are ready to start recording chapters.

First this is a VBR mp3 and we need all recordings to be saved as 128kbps constant bitrate mp3. Second, the volume on this file is a little under 85 db. We shoot for somewhere in the 86-92 db range. Your background is very quiet so you can just amplify a little or just increase the input gain on your microphone (generally preferred). Also please note that when submitting files for projects, we use all lower case characters in the filenames.

I generally recommend that new readers have a look at the NewbieGuideToRecording and also read carefully through all the notes in the first post of the appropriate project thread, if you haven't already done so.

We will also need to know by what name you would like to be listed in the catalog. If you have a personal website, that can be linked as well. You can post this in the project thread along with your claim and you BC will enter you into the database as a new reader.

Welcome and have fun here!
Jo
Martyp

Post by Martyp »

Jo,

Thanks so much for your feedback! Will make proper adjustments!

I would like to be listed as Marty Peterson
www.martypeterson.com

I'm really looking forward to getting started and really areciate all the encouragement!

Marty