ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

Kitty wrote: February 7th, 2020, 4:56 am
excellent, thank you Adam. Florus is still a little hot-headed ;) you're quite convincing at playing the jealous lover :mrgreen:

only a couple of notes here for correction:

> at 0:41: concerning the lines:
"Florus in Justina's house
Leaves and enters like a master!—
These are not unfounded jealousies,
These are real and substantial."
ok this sounded strange to me, because it's much more likely that Lelius would say this about Florus. So on a hunch I checked with the original scan (it's what I do), and indeed this is a quote for Lelius. Gutenberg had a mix-up here and in fact, two lines for Florus are missing here. Please cut this out, and instead insert:
"What shall I say ?
Never was I so embarrassed."

you can check here, page 180: https://archive.org/details/dramasca00cald/page/180/mode/2up

> from 3:30 till the end: starting with "being here": all this belongs to the third act. Could you cut it out here and make a separate file for this please ? Act 3 will then be complete, because all the lines are in :thumbs:

Thanks

Sonia
Woah, I guess I didn't notice the act break between 1 and 2, guess that's what I get for overrelying on cntrl-F! Good job catching that line mix up on Gutenberg's part~! :clap: :clap:

And yes, apparently I've fallen into quite a few jealous lover roles! 1) Cary in a Little Girl from Old Boston, 2) David from Andrew the Glad, 3) Myrtle from the Conscious Lovers, and now Florus! But I've done sarcastic sea gods, Kiwi clerics, Albanian warlords, snobby lawyers, disembodied voices, and megalomaniac Italian journalists too now! I'm diversifying! :lol:

Anyway, the corrected versions of Florus should be ready for the spot PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wonderworkingmagician_florus_1_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wonderworkingmagician_florus_2_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wonderworkingmagician_florus_3_128kb.mp3
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AdamBielka wrote:Woah, I guess I didn't notice the act break between 1 and 2, guess that's what I get for overrelying on cntrl-F!
well the good news is that you are finished now faster than expected. :mrgreen: All three acts are now PL ok. Thanks
And yes, apparently I've fallen into quite a few jealous lover roles! 1) Cary in a Little Girl from Old Boston, 2) David from Andrew the Glad, 3) Myrtle from the Conscious Lovers, and now Florus! But I've done sarcastic sea gods, Kiwi clerics, Albanian warlords, snobby lawyers, disembodied voices, and megalomaniac Italian journalists too now! I'm diversifying! :lol:
:lol: yes don't fall into the danger of getting typecast ;) Albanian warlords ? :shock: where was that ?

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

oops, I seem to have overlooked this submission, sorry about that Tomas. But I listened to it now and Clarin is perfectly PL ok. :thumbs: These scenes with Livia and Moscon will be very funny I think. :lol: But I think my favourite is when he tries to make a pact with the devil himself and doesn't get accepted.

Excellent job again, thank you so much.

Sonia
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

[/quote]
:lol: yes don't fall into the danger of getting typecast ;) Albanian warlords ? :shock: where was that ?

Sonia
[/quote]

The Albanian warlord was just a bit part in the Count of Monte Cristo! Not even a real character, just one of the characters quoting the warlord a few times!
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I have assembled the play to the extent I can with the missing parts.

Thanks, Todd
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

Could I clarify if the readers of main parts are all putting in a track for Chorus of Voices and People - Within, for you to mix, please?

Thanks,

Timothy
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: February 16th, 2020, 6:53 am Could I clarify if the readers of main parts are all putting in a track for Chorus of Voices and People - Within, for you to mix, please?

Thanks,

Timothy
My intention is that someone will actually claim that section. Depending on what I receive and/or how I feel the day I edit, I may play with that one submittal to have it sound more like multiple people (same file in two or three tracks - I do not use any voice altering effects), or I might just treat it as another solo character.

This is different from what I would do if the play had said "ALL:" for the lines. Then I would want contributions from other character part files.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you, Timothy. Fabius is very terse and to the point. Not a man one likes to antagonize. Nicely characterized. Nothing missing as far as I can see, Act 3 can be marked PL ok straight away.

Only a small note for Act 2:

> for the voice credit, could you please include the entire description from the MW: "Fabius, his Servant"

also, a short note on the breaks in between speech chunks. You barely leave 1 second. It's easier for our editor if he has at least 2 seconds of pause between each speech. Makes it easier to copy/paste. No need to change this time, but maybe remember for future roles. ;)

Also you don't really have to announce the scenes in between, just do the speeches, that's fully enough. :) The scenes and "end of act" will be read by the narrator. No need to cut them out now though, it's fine.

Thank you

Sonia
Timothy Ferguson

Hi Sonia,

Thanks for the tips: I haven't done a play with LV in years, so I'd forgotten the way things are done.

This is Fabius 2. with the edits, now 19 seconds long.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wonderworkingmagician_fabius_2_128kb.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: February 20th, 2020, 11:44 pm This is Fabius 2. with the edits, now 19 seconds long.
thank you, now perfectly PL ok :) see you in another play soon hopefully ! Maybe you got the stage bug again :mrgreen:

Sonia
Timothy Ferguson

Kitty wrote: February 21st, 2020, 4:11 am
Timothy Ferguson wrote: February 20th, 2020, 11:44 pm This is Fabius 2. with the edits, now 19 seconds long.
thank you, now perfectly PL ok :) see you in another play soon hopefully ! Maybe you got the stage bug again :mrgreen:

Sonia
I just finished a series of books which I've been recording (on and off) for nine years. 8) I think I'll do a lot more plays. There's some thing lovely about being able to do you bit and it be over in an hour.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Timothy Ferguson wrote: February 21st, 2020, 10:47 pm I think I'll do a lot more plays.
I certainly am hooked on plays. What I like is the concentrated way in which they tell a story. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then the same is also true about a play where all the plot and atmosphere and nuance comes from THE WAY the author's words are said so that the images, the pictures, form themselves in a listeners mind instantly without having to be painstakingly created by the reader from the text. While stage directions in our play texts can be very long winded (particularly where the author does not trust the actors to do their job without his explanations), in performance it is the actors speaking the assigned words in the right way that replace what would have to be hours of expository text in a novel - even the best of our DRs - in a play cogently providing the critical parts of characters' backstories, conveying their past despairs and fears for the future, highlighting the bleakness or joyfulness of the environment, foreshadowing important events to come, all without reams of description.

The First Person viewpoint of a play compared with the typical Third Person/Narrator viewpoint of a book changes how the stories have to be told. A sigh, a groan, a laugh take on powerful significance; a thoughtful pause crystallizes what came before and lets the listener consider the many possibilities of what comes next before the speaking resumes. Changes in a character during a play, seen through changes in what they say and how they say it convey the powerful effect of the situation and other characters upon them, and leave us listeners wondering how we, too, would have been changed by the events. Would we too have crumpled? Would we have found a way to triumph? To laugh at the vagaries of chance and seize the day? To find comfort and everlasting love? Etc, etc.

Yeah, addicted without chance of recovery.

Thanks, Todd