[COMPLETE] Coniston Tales by W. G. Collingwood ~ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Coniston Tales by William Gershom Collingwood (1854 - 1932).

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here:https://librivox.org/coniston-tales-by-william-gershom-collingwood/[/color]
A selection of poems and short prose pieces grounded in the history, legends and landscape of Coniston in the English Lake District. W. G. Collingwood gave up a promising academic career as a young Oxford graduate to become John Ruskin's personal secretary, living at first in his home, Brantwood, at Coniston. In the spirit of self-sufficiency that typified their community, Collingwood first published these pieces in 'Nothing Much', a family magazine edited by his young children and circulated to friends by private subscription. (Phil Benson)

• Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/conistontales00coll/page/n5/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: kHsLckjJ

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (William Gershom Collingwood) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._G._Collingwood

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 11
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1899
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works; *Non-fiction/History /Antiquity

Keywords that describe the book: Legend, Lancashire, Lake District

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Coniston Tales. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Coniston Tales, by William Gershom Collingwood. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Coniston Tales by William Gershom Collingwood. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Coniston Tales, by William Gershom Collingwood. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename conistontales_##_collingwood_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. conistontales_01_collingwood_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Annise will MC and Newgatenovelist DPL - it's around two hours altogether and all files ready to upload!
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Perfect timing! Ruskin's birthday was a few days ago, and it'll be fun hearing this brought to life.
Off LV 25-28 March.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All set, waiting for the MW to be filled :D

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Newgatenovelist wrote: February 10th, 2020, 3:04 am Perfect timing! Ruskin's birthday was a few days ago, and it'll be fun hearing this brought to life.
This has been on my to-do list for seven years (!) since I finished his Thorstein of the Mere, which is still one of my favourites - it should have been in the Newcastle series!

https://librivox.org/thorstein-of-the-mere-a-saga-of-the-northmen-in-lakeland-by-william-gershom-collingwood/

I see that someone is also recording his life of Ruskin right now.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=77229
Newgatenovelist

Hi Phil,

I've made a start, but I have a question, or possibly two, for you about the numbering. In the book's ToC I see 12 stories/poems, but in the MW I see 11 sections. I believe the one omitted is 'The Hermit of Monk Coniston', the antepenultimate entry in the ToC. Does that tally with your own recording/prep notes? [Nevermind - I've just checked the first 20 seconds of the other files and 'The Hermit of Monk Coniston' is currently section 9, so we've found it!]

The file numbers and the numbers you've read in the audio are 1-11, but the section numbers in the MW are 0-10. It's no odds to me if everything stays as it, but I wanted to make a note of it since I think we've managed to get one section out of sync and it's very easy to get muddled unless we're careful!

Sections 0 and 1 are PL OK. I started to listen to section 2, and it's 'Of the Mines in the Mountains' (section 3 in the MW). I think perhaps 'The Great Circle' (section 2) might be the one hiding somewhere, and it's throwing some of the other files out of sequence. Maybe.

Does this make sense?
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Yes, it all makes sense! Thank you for spotting that. There are two things.

First, maybe for Anne, there is no introductory section for this project, so we should start at 01?

Second, I have missed a section out. I am not sure, but I looks like I skipped reading it. It is the Great Circle, which should be Part 03. If you want to hold on for a day or so, I'll record it (it's quite short) and fix the numbering of the files before you carry on.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've removed the 00 and think its all OK - just check the titles are right - to renumber the sections I needed to force the MW to do it by moving a file out of place then putting it right and it is possible for it to slip while doing this.

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, Anne. I also had to add an extra section, but I think everything is fine now.

I have recorded Part 3 and adjusted and re-uploaded everything from Part 3 up to the end.
Newgatenovelist

We're back in business, baby!

To make doubly sure, and because it's easier to spend an extra few minutes now than after it's been finalised, I spot checked 1 and 2, and both are fine and dandy. Woo hoo!

Section 3 is PL OK!

One note for section 4:

8.27-8.32, bottom third p. 20
…the road is made over white rocks that put me in mind of the white crags of Greece.

You said this book has been on your to-read list for seven years, and I bet it must feel pretty good to have it recorded. You give hope to everyone by proving it's possible to get to those 'old' projects on the list, too!
Off LV 25-28 March.
Newgatenovelist

Parts 5 and 7 are PL OK!

Two notes for section 6:

5.47-5.51, second para p. 33, stumble
…bearded unseemly and unbefi- and unbefittingly attired…

11.48-11.51, last para p. 36, omission
…for the Sabbath was made for man, and not [man] for the Sabbath.
Off LV 25-28 March.
Newgatenovelist

Section 8 is PL OK!
Off LV 25-28 March.
Newgatenovelist

Sections 10 and 11 are PL OK!

I have one note for section 9 and one half-note, half-question that I've flagged in section 12.

Section 9:

4.27-4.31, end third stanza p. 56
But even as she took [heard shook] the waterway
He’s fallen on the lairy sward.

Section 12:

2.47-2.49, third line p. 72
Then read it as thoo knas how…
I’m a bit nervous about doing this with a linguist, but I’m querying the pronunciation of knas – when I read this I thought it might sound more like ‘gnaws’. But I could very well be being overcautious and/or not have the regional touch! Thoughts, comments or superior knowledge gladly accepted!
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, Erin! Chapters 4, 6 & 9 corrected and uploaded.

You're right to query 'knas', but I'm inclined to leave it as is. My reasoning is just that he could have written 'knaws' but wrote 'knas' instead, so on the principle of reading it how it is written, that looks like a Lancashire -aa- sound. But were you querying voiced out the silent 'k'? I'm not sure about that but I believe that it was voiced out in olden days, then dropped.

Having said that, I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about :? Though Coniston was in Lancashire, I suppose this is Cumbrian. I must have made quite a few mistakes in pronunciation.
Newgatenovelist wrote: February 17th, 2020, 2:45 pm Section 12:

2.47-2.49, third line p. 72
Then read it as thoo knas how…
I’m a bit nervous about doing this with a linguist, but I’m querying the pronunciation of knas – when I read this I thought it might sound more like ‘gnaws’. But I could very well be being overcautious and/or not have the regional touch! Thoughts, comments or superior knowledge gladly accepted!