COMPLETE[PLAYS]One Act Play Collection 013 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ktaylor07 wrote: February 9th, 2020, 7:55 pmhere are stage directions for "The Woman Tamer"
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/oneactplays013_06_stagedirections_128kb.mp3
first of all, your reading is very forceful, quite in line with the main characters here :lol:

So far, I only listened to the first 5 minutes of your stage directions, but broke off at that point, as the PL notes would take me way too long to write down.

You may not have seen Todd's answer to your question, here: viewtopic.php?p=1677021#p1677021
because you left out many crucial voice-qualifying directions. Yes, many will get cut, but we prefer the narrator to read them all, so the editor has the choice. Sometimes the actor doesn't convey it accurately so the directions will stay in.

Here are my initial PL notes, to give you an idea how and what needs to be included. I stopped after 5 minutes reading and about 20 minutes of note scribbling, because I realized I had to write down most of the missing directions, and it would take me over an hour to complete this. :? It's better that you go over your file once more and add all the missing bits and then I'll do a final PL for the finished file.

> at 1:23: "Bongo read by" – can actually get cut out, as Bongo doesn't have a speaking role
> at 1:48: (p. 15) "Front room of Katie's cottage" – you say "front" which is a different setting
> at about 2:41: (p. 15) missed line: "Katie, rising"
> at about 3:29: (p. 16-17) five missed lines: "Katie, pleasantly", "Katie, shrilly", "Katie, scornfully", "Chopsey, stung", "Chopsey, asserting himself"
> at about 3:40: (p. 17) missed line: "Chopsey, overwrought"
> at about 4:40: (p. 17-18) three missed lines: "Katie, in a hard voice", "Chopsey, hesitatingly", "Katie, provokingly"
> at 4:58: (p. 18) "grabs hold of her" – you can cut out "Chopsey" here, as it's after his speech. We only include the name if it's at the beginning of the speech
> at 5:06: (p. 18) "gives her a half-hearted shove" – same here, "Chopsey can get cut"

Thank you

Sonia
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Kitty wrote: February 11th, 2020, 2:12 am
ktaylor07 wrote: February 9th, 2020, 7:55 pmhere are stage directions for "The Woman Tamer"
first of all, your reading is very forceful, quite in line with the main characters here :lol:

So far, I only listened to the first 5 minutes of your stage directions, but broke off at that point, as the PL notes would take me way too long to write down.

You may not have seen Todd's answer to your question, here: viewtopic.php?p=1677021#p1677021
because you left out many crucial voice-qualifying directions. Yes, many will get cut, but we prefer the narrator to read them all, so the editor has the choice. Sometimes the actor doesn't convey it accurately so the directions will stay in.

Here are my initial PL notes, to give you an idea how and what needs to be included. I stopped after 5 minutes reading and about 20 minutes of note scribbling, because I realized I had to write down most of the missing directions, and it would take me over an hour to complete this. :? It's better that you go over your file once more and add all the missing bits and then I'll do a final PL for the finished file.

> at 1:23: "Bongo read by" – can actually get cut out, as Bongo doesn't have a speaking role
> at 1:48: (p. 15) "Front room of Katie's cottage" – you say "front" which is a different setting
> at about 2:41: (p. 15) missed line: "Katie, rising"
> at about 3:29: (p. 16-17) five missed lines: "Katie, pleasantly", "Katie, shrilly", "Katie, scornfully", "Chopsey, stung", "Chopsey, asserting himself"
> at about 3:40: (p. 17) missed line: "Chopsey, overwrought"
> at about 4:40: (p. 17-18) three missed lines: "Katie, in a hard voice", "Chopsey, hesitatingly", "Katie, provokingly"
> at 4:58: (p. 18) "grabs hold of her" – you can cut out "Chopsey" here, as it's after his speech. We only include the name if it's at the beginning of the speech
> at 5:06: (p. 18) "gives her a half-hearted shove" – same here, "Chopsey can get cut"

Thank you

Sonia
Okay. I jumped the gun on this one :? . Will go back and re-do pronto!
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Kitty wrote: February 11th, 2020, 1:52 am
ktaylor07 wrote: February 10th, 2020, 7:34 pmHere's my reading of Zaide, the singing slave for "The Sicilian"
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/oneactplays013_04_slavesinging_128kb.mp3
first of all, excellent chanting and great job on the faux-Italian :lol: it is very comprehensible what is said for someone who speaks the language. :thumbs: loved it.

Zaide is also perfectly acted out, but we have a little problem. As you may see in the MW, Zaide and the singing slave are two different roles. :? And Todd usually doesn't want doubling of voices, so you would have to choose only one of them and cut out the rest of the performance.

Please let me know your choice. For the moment you are put down for the singing slave, but Zaide is still available if you want to switch.

Thanks, will listen to your stage directions now :)

Sonia
Oh, I misunderstood what he wrote. He was telling me that Zaide and the singing slave were both female parts that were available. I thought he meant they were actually the same person. Okay, I've got it now. I'll stick with the singing slave, then, and modify this file to reflect that choice. Will have the file corrected and back to you soon.
JtotheP716

Post by JtotheP716 »

George Bernard Shaw's How He Lied To Her Husband might be a nice addition to this group.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

JtotheP716 wrote: February 11th, 2020, 2:53 pm George Bernard Shaw's How He Lied To Her Husband might be a nice addition to this group.
Are you proposing that you would run this play?

Thanks, Todd
JtotheP716

Post by JtotheP716 »

I don't know how to do that. Is there a video or article you can point me to?
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Here is my corrected file for the part of The Singing Slave for "The Sicilian"

ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Here's my corrected file of stage directions for "The Woman Tamer"

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

JtotheP716 wrote: February 11th, 2020, 11:04 pm I don't know how to do that. Is there a video or article you can point me to?
It is the intent of this project to help you learn the process while I take care of the MW aspects (posting claims and changes in status such as "PL Notes" and "PL OK") and provide other help as required. From the first posting:
How to volunteer to BC a play:
This is a great opportunity for anyone who's always wanted to BC a dramatic work but isn't quite ready to do a full-length play. (Of course it's open to experienced BCs as well!) Please note that if you propose a play for inclusion in the collection, you are responsible either for editing, proof-listening and coordinating it yourself, or for finding other volunteers to fill these roles. Volunteers outside the USA: Be aware that some of the plays are still protected by copyright law some places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years).

Please look at the list of plays that have previously been submitted before choosing a play to co-ordinate. Please claim your play in the thread; You will be the BC for your play. I will put files in the MW and keep that up to date but you are expected to Proof Listen submitted parts and then edit the play together when all parts are submitted. This collection is capped at 10 plays. Each BC needs to provide the following information about each play:

* Title and author
* PD text link
* Link to author on Wikipedia, and death date, if known
* Link to title on Wikipedia
* Number of roles (including narrator) this project will have
* Original publication date
* The list of characters in your plays so when we have a MW I can set up your sections properly!
You can also find hints on editing in the Good Practice Guidelines for Dramatic Works at viewtopic.php?f=27&t=44647&start=45

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ktaylor07 wrote: February 12th, 2020, 7:33 pmHere is my corrected file for the part of The Singing Slave for "The Sicilian"
thank you, as it was only a cutting job, this is now PL ok :)
Here's my corrected file of stage directions for "The Woman Tamer"
ah yes, now this made it easier on me. Most of the lines are in and very forcefully delivered. :thumbs: I did find a few missed lines still, and there was some trouble with audio-jumps in a few spots. :hmm: I wonder how that could happen.

But we're getting there, not that much to correct:

> at 7:49: (p. 19) "Katie enters humming" – some jump in the audio here, I only hear "eh" instead of "enters"
> at 8:12: (p. 19) "exit Katie, front door" – same happening here, "exit" is cut to only "eg"
> at 10:07: (p. 20) "relates his anecdote" – here you can cut out "Smithy" because it's inside his own speech, so we know who is meant
> at 10:56: (p. 22) "the constable is a young athletic man, tall and strong" – again the audio breaks off after "young"
> at 11:06: (p. 22) "constable looks in at door" – here we need to include "constable" again, otherwise it refers to Chopsey who last spoke
> at about 17:36: (p. 29) missed line: "moving towards her"
> at about 19:43: (p. 29) missed line: "to Chopsey"

thank you

Sonia
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Here's my corrected Stage directions for "The Woman Tamer"

Sorry about the skips. I've been having odd computer troubles this week. The last set of updates did not agree with my computer. Not only did it stall and crash like mad before the updates, afterwords, Windows actually changed my password all on its own... :evil:
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

I would like to volunteer to read the stage directions for "When Witches Ride"
JtotheP716

Post by JtotheP716 »

I really don't feel equal to the task. Erg. Nevermind.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ktaylor07 wrote: February 13th, 2020, 8:14 pmSorry about the skips. I've been having odd computer troubles this week. The last set of updates did not agree with my computer. Not only did it stall and crash like mad before the updates, afterwords, Windows actually changed my password all on its own... :evil:
the skips in Audacity can occur when the computer is running other programs in the background. Make sure you close all other apps, especially updates or virus programs checking the computer. Only leave the bare essentials open which you need to record. Also you may need to clean out memory space for Audacity, it needs huge resources if you save and keep every file you ever did.

we're getting closer here with the narrator, still two small edits:

> at 7:49: "Katie enters humming" – the jump is still in like in the previous version. Maybe you forgot this note ?

> at 17:42: "moving towards her" – again there is a stumble

thanks

Sonia
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Kitty wrote: February 14th, 2020, 4:02 am
ktaylor07 wrote: February 13th, 2020, 8:14 pmSorry about the skips. I've been having odd computer troubles this week. The last set of updates did not agree with my computer. Not only did it stall and crash like mad before the updates, afterwords, Windows actually changed my password all on its own... :evil:
the skips in Audacity can occur when the computer is running other programs in the background. Make sure you close all other apps, especially updates or virus programs checking the computer. Only leave the bare essentials open which you need to record. Also you may need to clean out memory space for Audacity, it needs huge resources if you save and keep every file you ever did.

we're getting closer here with the narrator, still two small edits:

> at 7:49: "Katie enters humming" – the jump is still in like in the previous version. Maybe you forgot this note ?

> at 17:42: "moving towards her" – again there is a stumble

thanks

Sonia
Here's my corrected file

yes, the laptop I'm using to record is tiny and elderly. Audacity is the only program I have installed on it, but I think the updates downloading in the background were enough to cause the skips. I disabled downloads today and didn't seem to have any problems.