Audacity crashing and losing my files.

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
redshark

Post by redshark »

I need :help: I was excited to finally complete my first LibriVox recording and I was trying to do some basic edits when Audacity crashed and gave be the error message that the files were corrupted. I lost the recording. I tried again (re-recording the entire track) but this time I was saving and making a duplicate file frequently during edits. Again, when I tried to do edits the file was lost. I was down to my last copy so I was just going to convert it to MP3 and when I tried that....it deleted. Nothing left. Has any one had this problem? Should I give up on Audacity and try Garage Band?
So Frustrated.

Redshark
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I'm so sorry that happened, I understand that this is frustrating... :(

Audacity is very resource-hungry, so while I can't say what exactly is going on, you are always better off with a cleaned-out disk that has lots of space and as few other programs running while editing. So: clean your disk from everything you don't need any longer (or put it into the cloud or on an external disk) and close all programs while you're editing.

Something else you may want to try is to save a copy in .flac format right after you are done recording or start editing. This way you have a copy of the raw recording (that can be re-imported into audacity without loss of quality) just in case something goes wrong later. You will still have to do the edits again, but at least you won't have to re-record the whole chapter.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com