[COMPLETE] The History of Burke and Hare, by George MacGregor - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes 35
5:23 and 10:17, carried him ben to the room, makes no sense, could it be an OCR error for 'back'? If it were me, I'd change it.

Sickening, indeed. Especially that only Burke swung for all these murders. This chapter would make a good addition to the SNF collection. I may consider doing it one day.

It's kind of a morality tale: Beware where you take lodgings, and who you go home with, and how much you drink with strangers! :shock:
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

According to whatever I used to look it up, it is a Scottish word that can mean within or inside. But I agree that it is kind of discordant, so I can easily pull it out and resubmit tomorrow.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Ciufi wrote: February 7th, 2020, 9:13 pm According to whatever I used to look it up, it is a Scottish word that can mean within or inside. But I agree that it is kind of discordant, so I can easily pull it out and resubmit tomorrow.
If it's actually the correct word used, of course leave it in. Uninformed listeners will just think you made a boo boo. :lol: It's the nature of our art.
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Okay, let’s leave it then.
I don’t generally think of reading for Librivox as an art, but maybe I will from now on. I like it.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Ciufi wrote: February 8th, 2020, 9:54 am Okay, let’s leave it then.
I don’t generally think of reading for Librivox as an art, but maybe I will from now on. I like it.
Connecting with the author, interpreting their words, adding expression and emphasis, carefully pacing, editing, etc. . . . . . yes indeed I consider it an art, and challenging, and very satisfying thereby. If I was just "reading out loud", I'd be long gone. :mrgreen:
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 26. LittlePatterson hasn't responded to her PM's, and 2 months have elapsed, so as we are getting close to catalog time, I adjusted her volume per my PL Notes and left the rest as is, uploaded it, and marked it PL OK.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Chapter 31

8:46 it is impossible to contemplate, you say compliment
11:52 text in bold is missing, he would never bring them to trial for their concern in the transactions as to which they were examined. It seemed to his lordship that Hare, having given evidence as he did,
12:15 in either of the acts, you say facts
12:43 share he had in her murder, you say their
16:02 resting and owing to the deponents, "and owing" is missing
While you are at making these edits, volume at 91.2 could be lowered -1.5 to more evenly match the volume of your Section 32. This is not essential but it's nice when a speaker's adjacent files match closely in volume.

It is infuriating that Hare got off scott free after committing so many of these murders, as a reward for being a snitch!
Last edited by msfry on February 13th, 2020, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Chapter 32

What an adventure! Too bad he got away!

4:00 Caltonhill Jail, you say Calton Jail
msfry

Post by msfry »

Having not heard back from the readers, and on the verge of completion of this project, I have made corrections to Chapters 6 and 27, and marked them PL OK. The changes were minor and easily completed so I was able to keep them.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: February 11th, 2020, 10:21 am PL Notes Chapter 31

8:46 it is impossible to contemplate, you say compliment
11:52 text in bold is missing, he would never bring them to trial for their concern in the transactions as to which they were examined. It seemed to his lordship that Hare, having given evidence as he did,
12:15 in either of the acts, you say facts
12:43 share he had in her murder, you say their
16:02 resting and owing to the deponents, "and owing" is missing
While you are at making these edits, volume at 91.2 could be lowered -1.5 to more evenly match the volume of your Section 32. This is not essential but it's nice when a speaker's adjacent files match closely in volume.

It is infuriating that Hare got off scott free after committing so many of these murders, as a reward for being a snitch!
Uploaded Section 31 with PL corrections made:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/burkeandhare_31_macgregor_128kb.mp3 20:22
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: February 11th, 2020, 10:54 am PL Notes Chapter 32

What an adventure! Too bad he got away!

4:00 Caltonhill Jail, you say Calton Jail
Uploaded Section 32 with PL corrections 21:55
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you, Bill.

Kathrine, all sections are now PL OK, so I think we are ready to finish this project up. Please be sure to update summary and keywords before cataloguing, which I have just put the finishing touches on. Cover is ready to go. Thank you both.

I want to thank all the readers on this project, who did a magnificent job with some upsetting material, and made it sound like an interesting novel. :clap: :clap: :clap:
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Yay! This project is now complete! Please listen or download from the catalog:
https://librivox.org/the-history-of-burke-and-hare-and-of-the-resurrectionist-times-by-george-macgregor/

Congratulations, all, on the completion of this project :clap: :clap:
Kathrine