MY PL checklist

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Perhaps this is explained better elsewhere, but I thought I would list my steps in PLing. Perhaps someone can point out to me if I'm missing anything. That would be a great help.

1. Download recording.
2. Run file through the Checker program and note deficiencies, if any. (Usually there are none,)
3. Open file in Audacity to better see things, checking the periods of silence at the beginning and end of the recording.
4. Listen to the recording, noting especially any divergence from the opening and closing 'scripts.' Listen for content, of course. Marking down the times of any problems such as coughs, repeats, too long silences, etc... Make notes sufficient to assist the reader in making corrections.
5. In the Magic Window, mark the file as being PL OK or needing attention.
6. Confirm (and if needed, correct) the notation as to the length of the recording.

For Spot Checking, I usually just listen to the recording from the Magic Window and confirm that all problems have been addressed.

I hope that's everything!

(If I would only search better and longer, I'd probably find someone else has made this kind of checklist.)
linny

Post by linny »

KevinS wrote: January 29th, 2020, 3:57 pm For Spot Checking, I usually just listen to the recording from the Magic Window and confirm that all problems have been addressed.
For spot checking I download again and send it back through the checker. I listen to the intro, the corrections, and check the ending and ending silence.
It's amazing how many times I catch a pickup in the ending silence or that the volume has plummeted. I even had a case once where another track was created with the corrections and then it was merged over the intro.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

linny wrote: January 29th, 2020, 4:04 pm
KevinS wrote: January 29th, 2020, 3:57 pm For Spot Checking, I usually just listen to the recording from the Magic Window and confirm that all problems have been addressed.
For spot checking I download again and send it back through the checker. I listen to the intro, the corrections, and check the ending and ending silence.
It's amazing how many times I catch a pickup in the ending silence or that the volume has plummeted. I even had a case once where another track was created with the corrections and then it was merged over the intro.
Wow! I wouldn't have guessed. I'll have to be more vigilant.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sounds pretty good! I also do download spot PL files, but usually I just double check the noted edited spots. (It doesn't enter my thoughts to listen directly from the MW.)

I think it's helpful for the BC, reader, and even yourself if there's a notation made in the MW about where the PL notes are. I personally make a direct link to the post, but I've seen others simply say "PL Notes p. 3" to show the notes are somewhere on page 3. This is helpful when the project is really active and/or the reader doesn't make the changes quickly, so that one must hunt through pages of forum posts to find the PL notes. :help:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: January 29th, 2020, 4:10 pm Sounds pretty good! I also do download spot PL files, but usually I just double check the noted edited spots. (It doesn't enter my thoughts to listen directly from the MW.)

I think it's helpful for the BC, reader, and even yourself if there's a notation made in the MW about where the PL notes are. I personally make a direct link to the post, but I've seen others simply say "PL Notes p. 3" to show the notes are somewhere on page 3. This is helpful when the project is really active and/or the reader doesn't make the changes quickly, so that one must hunt through pages of forum posts to find the PL notes. :help:
Hey, that's good advice about the PL notes. I've done that before, but haven't recently. Good reminder!
linny

Post by linny »

I'm a 'page 3er' unless it's short like 'volume', 'intro', etc. The coding in the MW makes me crazy sometimes. I inevitably forget the second " and then nothing works. <a href=" ">PL notes here</a> Why on earth that is so hard to get right I have no idea but for me it is. :roll:
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I'm the type of DPL who HAS to read the text while listening. But yes Kevin, this is a very good checklist I should also follow.
schrm

Post by schrm »

i forgot to check the duration last week :oops:
the rest of these procedures resemble mine..
but i do checker-check spot pl recordings and i try to take more attention and 2-3 looks at the mp3-url, since we had this problem in manners and rules.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Looks great!

I too like to run spot PL files through checker again just to be sure. If the problem is merely volume, it's so tempting to mark it off as PL OK with further listening. But I've learned it's pretty important to pl at least the intro so as to confirm it being the correct file. (I got a few jumbled ones recently.)

Another thing I'm learning the importance of double checking is filename... I missed several incorrect ones recently :help: , but my awesome MC caught them and graciously corrected them free of charge. :D

I was never sure if the DPL or the BC is the one who puts the "PL Notes p. 3" in the notes column, so I never did it. Then later I'm wishing for it when I go to spot pl. So unless my BCs don't like it, I'll probably be doing from now on for at least a few of my projects. :)
~Rosebud
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I was never sure if the DPL or the BC is the one who puts the "PL Notes p. 3" in the notes column, so I never did it. Then later I'm wishing for it when I go to spot pl. So unless my BCs don't like it, I'll probably be doing from now on for at least a few of my projects. :)
This is a great help to finding the notes and I wish everyone did it.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I think that's the DPL's job - as is marking the status from "Ready for PL" to "See PL Notes." :)
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

TriciaG wrote: February 4th, 2020, 6:07 am
I think that's the DPL's job - as is marking the status from "Ready for PL" to "See PL Notes." :)
Aha! I’ve been marking page numbers since. (See History of Philosophy for an example.) :wink:
~Rosebud
linny

Post by linny »

How do you keep track of your PL work?

For me, I use quick links>view my posts and scroll to the bottom of the unread posts. I download sections working my way up the list. As I download them I place them in the checker. That way I know what order they came in. I then PL in that order.

I may change the order for projects where my PL is the only thing holding the project from the catalog, spot checks, or for a new reader.

Every few days I check my catalog page to make sure I haven't forgotten anything that was placed in the MW without a note added to the thread.

I was curious how others keep track.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

linny wrote: February 13th, 2020, 9:10 am How do you keep track of your PL work?

For me, I use quick links>view my posts and scroll to the bottom of the unread posts. I download sections working my way up the list. As I download them I place them in the checker. That way I know what order they came in. I then PL in that order.

I may change the order for projects where my PL is the only thing holding the project from the catalog or for a new reader.

Every few days I check my catalog page to make sure I haven't forgotten anything that was placed in the MW without a note added to the thread.

I was curious how others keep track.
I hate to admit it, but I'm rather random in what I do. I rely on the Reader's Page "Reader's Section Detail" quite a lot and then PL as the mood strikes me. If something is coming to a close, I try to focus on it so that the project can be cataloged, and I try to PL for newcomers so that they get quick feedback and encouragement.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You could do for DPL what I do for my MC projects. I bookmark the thread. Then when I go to the bookmarked thread list, I can easily see which projects have new posts.

I'm out and about and typing on my phone. If you want more details, I'll post them later on a real keyboard.