[COMPLETE] The History of Philosophy by William Turner - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

TriciaG wrote: January 28th, 2020, 6:55 pm
So I'm thinking, for now, read and edit all of that chunk as section 34, as it's indicated in the MW, then see how long it ends up being. It could be that that intro has a lot harder material than the chapter proper, so that the whole thing will go faster than the first 15 minutes.
You were right, the whole thing fit under the limit! Hard to believe. Let's hope I haven't I skipped a few pages along the way. :mrgreen:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/historyofphilosophy_34_turner_128kb.mp3
66:39

I'd like to read sections 38-40 next.

Michael
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yay! Glad it worked out!

You're in for 38-40. 8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

wigglylizard wrote: January 18th, 2020, 5:33 pm Section 45 is posted here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/historyofphilosophy_45_turner_128kb.mp3
43:35

Thanks
Dave
PL notes:
Intro does not match what’s stated in first post. If you need an example of how it should be worded, feel free to listen to a PL ok section and pattern after that.

@24:54 & @27:51 Sounds like a door creaking. If it can be eliminated, great. If not, let me know.

Specs and reading are great! Thanks :)
~Rosebud
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

silverquill wrote: January 27th, 2020, 9:30 am Here is Chapter 4 The Later Ionian Philosophers

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/historyofphilosophy_06_turner_128kb.mp3 25:05
Sections 6 & 8 are PL OK :thumbs: Thanks!
~Rosebud
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Leni wrote: February 6th, 2020, 9:42 pm And here it is:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/historyofphilosophy_00_turner_128kb.mp3
08:01
PL OK :D
~Rosebud
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Leni wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 10:04 pm Here is section 19!

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/historyofphilosophy_19_turner_128kb.mp3
17:33
PL notes:
Beginning silence seems plenty short at .13 sec. But you're an admin, and if you say that's ok I'll take your word for it. :wink: Otherwise it's all good.
~Rosebud
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Kikisaulite wrote: January 18th, 2020, 4:14 am Section 31 uploaded, duration 17:28 :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/historyofphilosophy_31_turner_128kb.mp3
PL Notes:
@ 1:31 A bump...

If that's too minute a correction and you're ok with the file as is, I'm fine with that. Just let me know if you'd rather not bother with it. Thanks!
~Rosebud
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

RSlabaugh wrote: February 15th, 2020, 6:19 am
Kikisaulite wrote: January 18th, 2020, 4:14 am Section 31 uploaded, duration 17:28 :)

PL Notes:

If that's too minute a correction and you're ok with the file as is, I'm fine with that. Just let me know if you'd rather not bother with it. Thanks!
That bump had no business being there, besides it was very easy to edit out. :) Thanks for catching it!
Corrected version uploaded, the same link, but 17:27 now.
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Kikisaulite wrote: February 15th, 2020, 7:44 am
RSlabaugh wrote: February 15th, 2020, 6:19 am

PL Notes:

That bump had no business being there, besides it was very easy to edit out. :) Thanks for catching it!
Corrected version uploaded, the same link, but 17:27 now.
PL OK :thumbs:

I debated not mentioning it, but decided to let you make the call on it rather than assuming which way you'd feel. Thanks! :)
~Rosebud
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Kazbek wrote: January 25th, 2020, 8:31 am Here is section 33:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/historyofphilosophy_33_turner_128kb.mp3
36:04

I'd like to read section 34 next.

Michael
Section 33 PL Notes:
*Beginning silence is just a tad short at .2 sec. It probably would be fine, but I’d hate having words cut off by some malfunctioning player! Correct amount is ~.5-1 second.

*Outro has section number, should be chapter number.

Please fix and repost with the same filename. Thanks!
—————————
Because of this outro being slightly off, I rechecked section 20. That outro is correct, but the intro is not. I hate coming back to you with this after calling it PL OK, but would you please fix that as well? Thank you, and I’m sorry! :?
~Rosebud
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

RSlabaugh wrote: February 15th, 2020, 8:01 pm
Section 33 PL Notes:
*Beginning silence is just a tad short at .2 sec. It probably would be fine, but I’d hate having words cut off by some malfunctioning player! Correct amount is ~.5-1 second.

—————————
Because of this outro being slightly off, I rechecked section 20. That outro is correct, but the intro is not. I hate coming back to you with this after calling it PL OK, but would you please fix that as well? Thank you, and I’m sorry! :?
It's no problem to change the intros/outros, but I'm actually not sure what they should be. Should they both refer to chapter number specified in the MW rather than section number, even if the chapter in question starts and/or ends in the middle of the section? Among the sections I've read so far, chapter 19 starts 3 pages into section 20, and chapter 37 starts 6 pages into section 34.

Michael
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, I had fun with all those Greek philosophers, how about I take one more since we're getting close to the end. I think Section 44 looks like a good choice.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Kazbek wrote: February 15th, 2020, 9:04 pm
RSlabaugh wrote: February 15th, 2020, 8:01 pm
Section 33 PL Notes:

—————————
It's no problem to change the intros/outros, but I'm actually not sure what they should be. Should they both refer to chapter number specified in the MW rather than section number, even if the chapter in question starts and/or ends in the middle of the section? Among the sections I've read so far, chapter 19 starts 3 pages into section 20, and chapter 37 starts 6 pages into section 34.

Michael
I stand corrected. Thank you! Wow, it’s really complicated, though, isn’t it?! I’m going to say just leave both of them, 20 is certainly correct. But I have no idea what 33 was intended to end with. Chapter 37 part 1?? Don’t worry about it, at least for now.
~Rosebud
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

RSlabaugh wrote: February 15th, 2020, 9:45 pm
I stand corrected. Thank you! Wow, it’s really complicated, though, isn’t it?! I’m going to say just leave both of them, 20 is certainly correct. But I have no idea what 33 was intended to end with. Chapter 37 part 1?? Don’t worry about it, at least for now.
No problem. The book does have a tricky chapter structure. I'll still lengthen the beginning silence in section 33, correct? Also, while we're on the subject, I'm already wondering about the intro/outro for my next section, 38. It includes chapters 41 and 42. Should I begin "chapter 41" and end "chapter 42", or say both chapter numbers at the start... and end? Or just refer to the section number?

Thanks,
Michael
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Kazbek wrote: February 15th, 2020, 10:10 pm No problem. The book does have a tricky chapter structure. I'll still lengthen the beginning silence in section 33, correct? Also, while we're on the subject, I'm already wondering about the intro/outro for my next section, 38. It includes chapters 41 and 42. Should I begin "chapter 41" and end "chapter 42", or say both chapter numbers at the start... and end? Or just refer to the section number?

Thanks,
Michael
Yes, we’ll need the beginning silence lengthened. But I’m still thinking about what’s proper for outro... Somehow it seems it should relate to chapter rather than section, but I’m not sure just how. I’d like to get input from Tricia before you make changes so that you’ll only need to upload once more.

If it includes both entire chapters, I'd begin with "chapter 41". When you get to the and of that chapter, say "end of chapter 41. Chapter 42, [title]" and proceed with that. In the outro it would be "end of chapter 42." Does that make sense?
~Rosebud