COMPLETE [Short Stories] Myths and Legends Around the World - Collection 1 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Myths and Legends Around the World (in English) - Collection 1 .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/myths-and-legends-around-the-world-in-english-01/
A gathering of stories from around the world that tell of legends, heroes, myths, and ancient lore. Travel with us in this collection to the lands of the Celts, the United States, Germany, Greece, Native America, Polynesia, Japan, Britain, Australia, Norsemen, Russia, and Central America. Recordings are in English. (Lynette Caulkins)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): Each section's text is linked in the Notes column as "Source"
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Basic Recording Guide: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

1. RECORD:
      • Be sure to set your recording software to: 44100Hz, 16 or 32-bit.
      • At the BEGINNING say: "[Title of Work], by [Author Name]" "This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit Librivox.org"
      • At the END, say: "End of [Title], by [Author Name]"
      • If you wish, you may also say: "Read by...your name."
      • Please leave .5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording. Add 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording.
      2. EDIT and SAVE your file:
      • Need noise-cleaning? See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      • Save or export your recording to an mp3 file at 128kbs. The uploader will add the mp.3 to the end of your file name when it uploads. Please use the format shown. Your file name should have this format before you upload it:

mlaw001_titleofwork_authorlastname_yourinitials_128kb

After it is uploaded, it should have this format:
        https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mlaw001_titleofwork_authorlastname_yourinitials_128kb.mp3
      • Keep the file name short! Use just a word or two to identify the title. Omit "a," "the," etc. Don't put spaces between words. Keep everything lower case. Even your initials should be lower case. The only underscores should be the separations between the snf volume, title, author's last name, and your initials. There are only 4 underscores in a file name!
      • Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      3. UPLOAD your recording:
      • Upload your finished recording using the LibriVox uploader: http://librivox.org/login/uploader. When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - copy and post it to the current nonfiction thread. If you don't post that you've uploaded your recording, the nonfiction book coordinator won't know that you did it!
      • If you have trouble reading the image above, please send a private message to any admin.
      • To upload, you'll need to select the MC, which for the Short Nonfiction Collection is: TriciaG
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page
      When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.

4. POST the following information in this thread:
      • Title of the work.
      • Author of the work.
      • A URL link to the source from which you read (etext URL). NOTE: If posting from Gutenberg, please provide the link to the download page instead of the view of the book, e.g. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/# (where # is the Gutenberg project number for the book).
      • The link to your recording file that you copied from the uploader.
      • Length in minutes. (mm:ss)
      • If this is your first Librivox recording, we will also need your name as you would like it to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and, if you have a web page and want it linked to your name in the catalog, the URL of the web page.
      5. PROOF LISTENING AND DEADLINE FOR EDITS on recordings you have submitted:
      • The level of proof listening for the nonfiction collection is "standard." We will only proof for repeated words or passages that the reader likely intended to edit out, misreads that change the meaning of the text, and such. For a discussion of the levels of proof listening, please see this Wiki page: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Guide_for_Proof-listeners#Levels_of_Proof-listening
      • We ask that you complete any editing requested by the Dedicated Proof Listener within two weeks of the request, or, if you need more time, that you post in this thread to request an extension. There’s absolutely no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. Extensions are, however, at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. To be fair to the other readers, sections which cannot be edited in a timely manner may be deleted from the current volume of the Myths and Legends Around the World Collection, but they can always be included in a future volume when the edits are complete.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by LCaulkins on June 15th, 2020, 9:20 am, edited 11 times in total.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

I will also DPL this collection.

I searched through the Catalog and forum and didn't find such a collection already listed. Let me know if I missing something, and this should be directed there, or if I need to change the collection's number. (I do need to edit the file name example in the instructions, to reflect the appropriate MC)

The template required a text source, so I listed the source for the first selection, which is:

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/60859
THE COMING OF LUGH
A CELTIC WONDER-TALE
RETOLD BY ELLA YOUNG
(reserved for LV reader JtotheP716)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

You know, it strikes me now that I don't really have an adequate definition for 'legend.'

How 'bout a Paul Bunyan story?
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Certainly, that'd be great. :)
~Lynette * -
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up.

It shouldn't have required a text source. Maybe it required one because you didn't set this as a collection (the question that asked if this project will have multiple texts and authors). :hmm:

Are you familiar with adding the metadata to the MW - the author and text source for each section?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thank you very much, Tricia.

I am not familiar with that yet. Is there a page that tells us what to do? - I'll study up on it. I haven't BC'd a collection yet, but am eager to learn the extra specifics.
~Lynette * -
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yep - some instructions are here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC's:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window#Special_Instructions_for_Collections_.E2.80.93_Entering_Section_Metadata

It's pretty easy. The hardest part is when the author isn't in the list. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving to Readers Wanted...
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thank you very much, Kevin! :clap:

This is PL OK - a great start for this collection. :thumbs:

Made me crack up out loud a couple of times.
~Lynette * -
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Lynette -

Here's a contribution to this collection -

Title of the work: The Lorelei
Author of the work: Retold by Marie H. Frary AND Charles M. Stebbins
A URL link to the source from which you read: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/58185/58185-h/58185-h.htm#Page_26
The link to your recording file that you copied from the uploader: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mlaw001_lorelei_frary_ps_128kb.mp3
Length in minutes. (mm:ss): 4:54

We were visiting family in Germany and drove along the Rhine. We stopped for lunch near the cliff and my uncle Joaquim sang a song of the Lorelei.
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

pschempf wrote: February 5th, 2020, 2:10 pm Lynette -

Here's a contribution to this collection -

Title of the work: The Lorelei
Author of the work: Retold by Marie H. Frary AND Charles M. Stebbins
A URL link to the source from which you read: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/58185/58185-h/58185-h.htm#Page_26
The link to your recording file that you copied from the uploader: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mlaw001_lorelei_frary_ps_128kb.mp3
Length in minutes. (mm:ss): 4:54

We were visiting family in Germany and drove along the Rhine. We stopped for lunch near the cliff and my uncle Joaquim sang a song of the Lorelei.
(My profound apologies for letting this slip through the cracks momentarily - I need to refrain from looking at LibriVox posts when I can't do anything about them, as that is how I failed to address this more timely.)

Fritz, this is fantastic! Thank you so much for the contribution. That's a wonderful memory connected to the story.

My only PL Note: Perfect reading. The volume is a little low, getting a warning from Checker. I can mark it PL OK if you wish, but it would benefit from Amplification. Let me know if you want to let it stand, or if you edit it for volume. :)
~Lynette * -
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Hi Lynette -

I rechecked that file and Checker said it was at 88.9 dB. I figured "what the heck" and amplified it by the 0.1 dB. When I rechecked it again it said it was at 88.6?!? :hmm: I amplified it by another 0.4 dB and now Checker says it's at 89.0. I'm not sure why Checker gave you an out of bounds reading as it should have been within the +/- 3 dB range anyhow. At any rate, here's another copy amplified by 0.5 dB. Let me know if it doesn't come out alright on your end.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mlaw001_lorelei_frary_ps_128kb.mp3

Length remains the same.
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

pschempf wrote: February 8th, 2020, 11:21 am Hi Lynette -

I rechecked that file and Checker said it was at 88.9 dB. I figured "what the heck" and amplified it by the 0.1 dB. When I rechecked it again it said it was at 88.6?!? :hmm: I amplified it by another 0.4 dB and now Checker says it's at 89.0. I'm not sure why Checker gave you an out of bounds reading as it should have been within the +/- 3 dB range anyhow. At any rate, here's another copy amplified by 0.5 dB. Let me know if it doesn't come out alright on your end.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mlaw001_lorelei_frary_ps_128kb.mp3

Length remains the same.
It has a happy green "Passed" now - Yeah, I've seen it do really strange things like that with my own recording files, too. I don't have enough training in it to begin to know why. It's so weird!!

Thank you so very much for this addition!

Section 3 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Hurrah! :clap:
Fritz

Trollope