[COMPLETE] The Adventures of Puss in Boots, Jr by David Cory-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

This project is now complete! All files can be found at https://librivox.org/the-adventures-of-puss-in-boots-jr-by-david-cory/

The Adventures of Puss in Boots, Jr. by David Cory (1872 - 1966).

David Cory is the author of more than 40 childrens books. This is the first in the series of Puss in Boots, Jr. The roots fo the legend of Puss in Boots seems to back to Italian folklore. These books are written for younger readers, about second grade and up, hence the "junior" designation. ( Larry Wilson)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/32095
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of The Adventures of Puss in Boots, Jr.. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Adventures of Puss in Boots, Jr., by David Cory. [Chapter Title]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Chapter [Number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Adventures of Puss in Boots, Jr., by David Cory. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      adventuresofpussinbootsjr_##_cory_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. adventuresofpussinbootsjr_01_cory_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: David Cory
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: The Adventures of Puss in Boots, Jr.

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Leni
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

I'm in if DPL is needed.

Lomond
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DPL will be Lomond

This is a new series by David Cory of short stories for young children.

I've found reference to this being a series of ten books.
I found three on Gutenberg, but there are more on Archive which we may try to do later.
~ Larry
melilycui

Post by melilycui »

Hi Larry,

I'm interested in volunteering for this, I'm new to LibriVox and would like to start on something easy and relatively short. I would indicate which section I'd like to take but I'm not sure where I can find that here.

If help is still needed, please let me know!

Sincerely,

Lily
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

melilycui wrote: February 9th, 2020, 9:46 pm Hi Larry,

I'm interested in volunteering for this, I'm new to LibriVox and would like to start on something easy and relatively short. I would indicate which section I'd like to take but I'm not sure where I can find that here.

If help is still needed, please let me know!

Sincerely,

Lily
Sure, I'd be glad to have you record something for this project!
Make sure you complete your one-minute test recording and have it approved.
Then let me know how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog - Full name or some pseudonym or nickname.

One we have the Magic Window up and filled out, just choose a chapter to start with, and post your request here. (I will be reading the first chapter).

Be sure to read the Newbie Guide to Recording, and let me know if you have any questions.
~ Larry
melilycui

Post by melilycui »

Hi Larry,

Sounds good, I'll get that one minute test recording done to make sure everything's good to go on my side. I'd also like to be listed by my name, Lily Cui.

When should I expect the Magic Window to be up so I can watch out for it being open?

Thank you for coordinating this!

Sincerely,

Lily
melilycui

Post by melilycui »

Hi Larry,

As and update, I was able to upload my 1 Minute Test to the Listener/Read group, https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1_Minute_Test.wav

I'm looking forward to working on this project with you.

Sincerely,

Lily
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

One magic window coming up!

ETA: Larry, all added, let me know if everything looks ok. :)
Leni
=================
melilycui

Post by melilycui »

Thank you Leni, and Larry, I'm not sure which pages the sections corresponds to. Could you provide me with some guidance so I can get started with recording them?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

melilycui wrote: February 10th, 2020, 10:35 am Hi Larry,

As and update, I was able to upload my 1 Minute Test to the Listener/Read group, https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1_Minute_Test.wav

I'm looking forward to working on this project with you.

Sincerely,

Lily
OK, Lily, I'll add you to the Librivox catalog.
I've got the Magic Window populated now. It was blank when you saw it, so that's why it didn't make much sense.
You can go ahead and choose one section to get started.

Someone should be along to give you a report on your test, but you really need to upload it again before it can be properly analyzed.
All LV recordings have to be in .mp3 format, and yours is a .wav file. The file format is incorrect. The instruction give you the proper naming format, and, also, LV file name must all be in lower case only.

The other major problem is far, far to low. Our Checker program will give you an exact reading, but it won't read .wav files. But, using another tool, it looks as if this only about 81-82 dB. Our LV target is 89dB with a range of 87-91 dB. Volume can be adjusted in Audacity, but it is better to adjust your recording settings. You probably need to increase your input gain and/or get closer to the microphone. You may need to experiment until you get good settings that work for your particular set up.

I would also suggest doing a little noise reduction to eliminate some of the background hum. I do this routinely on all of my recordings as well as volume adjustments.

And, one final point. The beginning and ending silences on actual recordings are important. Less than one second at the beginning, and five seconds at the end.

These technical things can seem a little overwhelming at first, but once you get them down, you can concentrate on the reading! Your reading is quite nice, and I look forward to hearing you read one of these stories! You will be a great addition to our global LV community!!
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Leni wrote: February 10th, 2020, 10:38 am One magic window coming up!

ETA: Larry, all added, let me know if everything looks ok. :)
Thanks for picking this up, Leni.
MW is populated and we are ready for readers!!
~ Larry
melilycui

Post by melilycui »

Hi Larry,

Thank you so much for the constructive feedback! I'll be sure to increase the input volume, include more pause in between, reduce background noise, and make sure it's in MP3.

I'll take a stab at Section 2! : ) Looking forward to collaborating with you!

Sincerely,

Lily
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

melilycui wrote: February 11th, 2020, 6:03 am Hi Larry,

Thank you so much for the constructive feedback! I'll be sure to increase the input volume, include more pause in between, reduce background noise, and make sure it's in MP3.

I'll take a stab at Section 2! : ) Looking forward to collaborating with you!

Sincerely,

Lily
OK, I've assigned Section 2 to you.
Just click on your name in the MW to see your catalog page.
Let me know if you have any questions along the way,
There is a lot to learn at the beginning. :)
~ Larry
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Moving us to Readers Wanted!
Leni
=================
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

Could I please have 7-9?
“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent