[COMPLETE] Jr Classics vol10a, Poems Old and New - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

LCantoni wrote: January 31st, 2020, 11:45 am Thank you so much! How about I fill in an empty spot with Sections 33 and 34. :)
Sounds great. Thank you for the additional claim.
linny

Post by linny »

Beautifully done. Thank you!

Both are PL OK. 76 is a bit frightening for small children though. :shock:
LCantoni

Post by LCantoni »

Linda

"You see, books have souls, like people." Edith Wharton, Hudson River Bracketed.
linny

Post by linny »

Hello Linda.
Sections 33 and 34 are both PL OK. 33 is a bit violent. :shock:
LCantoni

Post by LCantoni »

linny wrote: February 4th, 2020, 11:24 am
Hello Linda.
Sections 33 and 34 are both PL OK. 33 is a bit violent. :shock:
They didn't mince words back then. :twisted: Thank you!
Linda

"You see, books have souls, like people." Edith Wharton, Hudson River Bracketed.
Tylerkjensen3

Post by Tylerkjensen3 »

Here is section 38. Let me know how the volume is.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/juniorclassicsvol10a_38_patten_128kb.mp3

34 seconds
linny

Post by linny »

Tylerkjensen3 wrote: February 5th, 2020, 7:48 pm Here is section 38. Let me know how the volume is.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/juniorclassicsvol10a_38_patten_128kb.mp3

34 seconds
Hello!
This one will need to be amplified by 3.

We have an app that you might find useful. It's very simple to use and will let you know if your volume is correct. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36489
Kay123

Post by Kay123 »

Dear MC Tricia,

I am new to this platform and would like to claim poem no.72 “Try Again” by Anonymous in The Junior Classics Volume 10, part 1: Poems Old and New by William Patten (1868 - 1936).

You may use the name "Kalpana" for reference in the Librivox catalog.

Thanks,
linny

Post by linny »

Kay123 wrote: February 7th, 2020, 7:14 am Dear MC Tricia,

I am new to this platform and would like to claim poem no.72 “Try Again” by Anonymous in The Junior Classics Volume 10, part 1: Poems Old and New by William Patten (1868 - 1936).

You may use the name "Kalpana" for reference in the Librivox catalog.

Thanks,
Welcome to LV!
Here is your catalog page: https://librivox.org/reader/13897
The reader section details is a great way to keep track of your claims.
Kay123

Post by Kay123 »

Hi Linny,
Thank you!
Kay123

Post by Kay123 »

Hi,

My recording link is https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/juniorclassicsvol10a_072_patten_128kb.mp3.mp3
This is my first recording.
I am trying to get it right all in one shot as today is my first day with audacity as well :wink:
I still need to figure out the edit and other features in audacity. So, I had to make a few attempts before I got the whole recording in one shot.
I hope I got it right.

Thanks
linny

Post by linny »

Kay123 wrote: February 7th, 2020, 11:04 am Hi,

My recording link is https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/juniorclassicsvol10a_072_patten_128kb.mp3.mp3
This is my first recording.
I am trying to get it right all in one shot as today is my first day with audacity as well :wink:
I still need to figure out the edit and other features in audacity. So, I had to make a few attempts before I got the whole recording in one shot.
I hope I got it right.

Thanks
We have a few things to work through. I didn't check but have you passed your preliminary test? I'll walk you through the issues for this recording but you should really make sure the test is approved before you record for a project.

As for the recording there is one omission at the ending: "End of Poem. This recording is in the public domain."

Now for the technical stuff.
The volume is too low. For future recording you can try adjusting your mic positioning or the input level but for this one let’s just amplify. Your recording is at 77.6dB. We aim for 89dB with an allowance of 86-92dB. Highlight your audio. Go to Effect>Amplify>14 ok. Now see how the majority of your waves are about the height of 0.5 to -0.5? (look to the left of the wave on the Audacity program you should see numbers ranging from 1.0 to -1.0) This is the height you are aiming for.

Now let’s do a little bit of noise cleaning. Do you see how your line during the "silent" areas is "fuzzy"? This is a visual indicator there is too much background noise. In the future be sure that you turn off everything you can hear before you start recording. Sit quietly in your recording area and just listen. If you can hear it, so can the microphone.
For this recording try some noise cleaning. Noise cleaning and amplifying are the two most common edits we do.
First highlight some of your "silence", try the opening silence where the line is real thick.
Effect>Noise Reduction>Get Noise Profile
Select your entire recording
Effect>Noise Reduction>Play around with the noise settings (using the "preview" button until you are satisfied). I used 30, 6.00, 6. Toggle to reduce noise>OK.
See how the line in your silence areas became a very fine line? That's what you are looking for.

Finally, some of your export settings are not on target. The good news is with Audacity when you get them set, the program remembers them for future exports.
File>Export audio>(wherever you want to save it is fine).
Bit rate should be 'Constant'
Quality 128kbps
Save

In case you are a visual learner here are some videos which may help. They may not be your version of Audacity but should still prove helpful.
https://sites.google.com/site/librivideo/for-volunteers/recording

Take a look at the ones for Setting up your specs, Noise cleaning, Amplify, and Editing mistakes.
linny

Post by linny »

AlongsideMom wrote: February 8th, 2020, 2:03 pm Here are sections 84, 85, 86,87, 88, & 89
Brooke,
Thank you! All are PL OK. I hope you enjoyed them. :D