Foul Language/Swearing

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

Hi,

Just realized one of the works I'm soloing contains quite a bit expletive language (lots of solider quotes). I was just wondering if LibriVox has some sort of censorship policy regarding expletives, or if its safe to just record the source as it was written?
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Our policy is to read them as they wrote 'em. :D
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

But we'll often put a note in the written summary to warn listeners about it.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If it's the Anzacs in Egypt one, it was written by a chaplain - so I wouldn't think the language would be too bad. Even if he is talking about the fleshpots of Cairo and a heap of bored soldiers :D

Anne
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

annise wrote: February 6th, 2020, 5:16 am If it's the Anzacs in Egypt one, it was written by a chaplain - so I wouldn't think the language would be too bad. Even if he is talking about the fleshpots of Cairo and a heap of bored soldiers :D

Anne
I haven't read in a while, but one of the chapters I started with had a lot quasi censored cursing "b-----" and "d----", etc. Usually obvious for context, but my Victorian swearing conventions aren't super great. I'm expecting plenty of n-bombs too, because pretty much any Anzac works going to have plenty of those.
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

If the text doesn't spell out an expletive, you aren't planning to supply it, are you?

I suppose every MC has his or her own understanding of the matter, but I simply read the letter, if that's what it is, and leave it at that.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Often if it's censored like that, it's very clear which expletive was meant. If that's the case, and if it won't blister my delicate tongue, I'll go ahead and say it. Just sounds weird otherwise. If it's not clear what's meant, then I'll read it as just the letter, or just "blank." Even though I think it still sounds weird. It's kind of like breaking the fourth wall. If you're really into the story, and you hear a hardened soldier say "blank" instead of swearing at you, it jars you out of the story and back into the real world. Or at least, that's my feeling.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

And I go with what is written as much as possible. Adding the expletive when the author put in "d---" is changing the text to OUR sensibilities, rather than leaving it with the Victorian (or whatever era) sensibilities. So I work with it rather than putting in a word the author and/or publisher was afraid to spell out fully. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine