MARCH Toward the Finish Line - 2019 Cleanup Month!

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

I enjoyed reading sections that were struggling to be finished, began or just paid some attention to.
All involved worked superbly and make it so much more enjoyable so this is the largest thank you that I can type up!!!
April
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

March may be over and the first post no longer updated, but remember some of those projects may still need your voice! Don’t be afraid to check 8-)
niobium

Post by niobium »

will there be another cleanup month like this? It looks like even with a whole group helping, some books are taking an excess of year to complete
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Eventually there will be another cleanup month, but we don't have plans for one at the moment. If we have them too often, they lose their impact.

It's normal for some projects to take more than a year to finish. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

In the past two years it was march. So I thought we could make it a tradition that every march is a clean up month. What do you think?
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

From what I can see, we didn't have a cleanup month at all in 2018 or 2017. In 2016 it was in June.

I don't think an annual cleanup month is warranted. We don't have that many group projects that need a push, and I think readers would get weary of too many cleanup months too close together. We only do a cleanup month when we've got a lot of group projects near completion that need a push. Others may disagree with me, but I don't think one is needed right now. I know for my MC projects, there aren't many that would qualify for a cleanup month.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

TriciaG wrote: February 5th, 2020, 12:41 pm From what I can see, we didn't have a cleanup month at all in 2018 or 2017. In 2016 it was in June.

I don't think an annual cleanup month is warranted. We don't have that many group projects that need a push, and I think readers would get weary of too many cleanup months too close together. We only do a cleanup month when we've got a lot of group projects near completion that need a push. Others may disagree with me, but I don't think one is needed right now. I know for my MC projects, there aren't many that would qualify for a cleanup month.
In 2018 didn;t we effectively have one in the leadup to the 10 000th recording? We kind of finished stalled ones to give the number a bump?

I could be misrecalling...
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

What you mean Timothy was a special drive to complete 10000 projects for our 11th anniversary back in 2016.

According to the thread, we completed 193 (+5) projects in about 6 weeks to meet the target (which we did).
It was quite frantic, that's why I don't coordinate these any more. :lol:

The 10000 recording milestone thread is here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=61402

Good times!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I don't understand why I remember a cleaning month in 2018. It is strage my memory betrayed me... Anyhow, it is frantic and I can understand you.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
schrm

Post by schrm »

oh..
actually, i thought it is a sort of librivox-rule to have a cleanup-march..
i honestly don't know about projects, but isn't that a little bit vague and rather subjective as a measurement?
and since december/the end of the year is a very bad period of time for cleaning up, since there are other projects to do, a cleanup spring month would be the thing to do, i thought.

well, two of my projects will be finished soon - so i don't need a cleanup march, either, to be honest.
:shock:
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

schrm wrote: February 9th, 2020, 9:40 am oh..
actually, i thought it is a sort of librivox-rule to have a cleanup-march..
i honestly don't know about projects, but isn't that a little bit vague and rather subjective as a measurement?
and since december/the end of the year is a very bad period of time for cleaning up, since there are other projects to do, a cleanup spring month would be the thing to do, i thought.

well, two of my projects will be finished soon - so i don't need a cleanup march, either, to be honest.
:shock:
The rules are always going to bit a bit arbitrary (and possibly flexible) as we set them ourselves. However, if we don't have them, then every project would be 'eligible', which defeats the object 8-)
From an admin point of view, a cleanup month is a lot of work. It is not an annual event, but if it looks like one is warranted, we would start one. A few years ago, we had one in November, when everyone was done with garden cleanup and stuck inside due to rain, but hadn't started the frantic Christmas rush :lol:
schrm

Post by schrm »

Lynnet wrote: February 9th, 2020, 9:56 am The rules are always going to bit a bit arbitrary (and possibly flexible) as we set them ourselves. However, if we don't have them, then every project would be 'eligible', which defeats the object 8-)
From an admin point of view, a cleanup month is a lot of work. It is not an annual event, but if it looks like one is warranted, we would start one. A few years ago, we had one in November, when everyone was done with garden cleanup and stuck inside due to rain, but hadn't started the frantic Christmas rush :lol:
yes, i imagine this to be a lot of work and time, which could be spent für regular lv-work, also...

thank you for your answer and clearing things up!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's always possible for readers to make a personal "help finish stalled projects approach". And some of our readers do. Next time you are looking for something to read, instead of starting at the top of the readers wanted pages, start at the bottom of the last page and see if there is anything down there that you could read, and claim it, maybe your contribution will arouse someone else's interest, maybe it's something you never would have chosen and you love it and even if neither of these things happen, the project is 1 step closer to the finish line and you can feel free virtuous :D :D.
linny

Post by linny »

I love that approach. :clap: :clap: :clap:
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello,
I realize March is the month to assist with uncompleted works so I am checking....
April