[SOLO] The Fable of the Bees by Bernard Mandeville - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

As soloist y ou do not need to post the link in the project thread, just put it into the proper box in the magic window and then a note saying it is ready for PL so the DPL (whoever that will be ) will get an email notice and come running to listen. Sure hope we get a volunteer soon.
EDIT: of course you can put it into the thread too if you want. Completely up to you.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
linny

Post by linny »

mmunoz wrote: January 27th, 2020, 7:34 pm
philchenevert wrote: January 26th, 2020, 7:24 pm Anyway, is everything OK? anything needs attention? You seem to be on the ball and doing well.
Yes, unless you see something I missed setting up the sections.

I recorded the preface:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/fableofthebees_00_mandeville_128kb.mp3
You are off to a great start!

The preface is PL OK. :clap:

As Phil has indicated you are responsible for putting the file links in the MW. Also, on behalf of your PLers we appreciate it if you would put the file duration in the notes. It lets us know how long we need to set aside to listen.

It sounds as if it's going to be a very interesting project. I hope you get a DPL soon but don't let that stop you from recording. Have fun! :D
mmunoz

Post by mmunoz »

OK, I've added the links to the preface (and now the poem section) to the magic window, with the file lengths and PL status.

Thanks Phil and linny for the clarifications, I'll definitely keep recording.

To whoever PLs the poem: there are a lot of intentional forced rhymes in my pronunciation, I'm not sure what the policy on that is. In any case, if anyone knows which of any two given rhymed words would be predominant (or just correctly pronounced at the time), I'd appreciate any corrections (I know a few poetic commonplaces like fly/flee, wind/wynd, eat/et, eye/eee).
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

You might do well to post your question about poetry in the Help Wanted forum. Lots of people know a lot about poetry and would be happy to help. (I would definitely not be a helpful source in that area !)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hello there. This looks a little fascinating in terms of sociology. Are you still looking for a DPL?

One of my slots is opening in the next couple of days, so I could take this one if you're not expecting to race through the whole thing super fast? (as in more than 1 file every day or two?)

I aim to PL files within 48 hours of the reader posting them, so I want to gauge your expectation properly. :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
mmunoz

Post by mmunoz »

LCaulkins wrote: January 29th, 2020, 11:08 am Hello there. This looks a little fascinating in terms of sociology. Are you still looking for a DPL?

One of my slots is opening in the next couple of days, so I could take this one if you're not expecting to race through the whole thing super fast? (as in more than 1 file every day or two?)

I aim to PL files within 48 hours of the reader posting them, so I want to gauge your expectation properly. :)
Yes, still looking for a DPL. I plan on doing one section every one or two weekdays.

It is fascinating, sort of a missing link between Erasmus' In Praise of Folly and Adam Smith's The Theory of Moral Sentiments (both of which are already on LibriVox).
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Welcome Lynette. Glad to have you aboard.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Super. I've got this entered in my PL notebook. :)

If I can't get to the files already here today, I will tomorrow.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Super. I've got this entered in my PL notebook. :)

If I can't get to the files already here today, I will tomorrow.
~Lynette * -
mmunoz

Post by mmunoz »

That's great news.

I've added very short section for today, to be followed by a relatively long one tomorrow.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

mmunoz wrote: January 28th, 2020, 7:47 pm OK, I've added the links to the preface (and now the poem section) to the magic window, with the file lengths and PL status.

Thanks Phil and linny for the clarifications, I'll definitely keep recording.

To whoever PLs the poem: there are a lot of intentional forced rhymes in my pronunciation, I'm not sure what the policy on that is. In any case, if anyone knows which of any two given rhymed words would be predominant (or just correctly pronounced at the time), I'd appreciate any corrections (I know a few poetic commonplaces like fly/flee, wind/wynd, eat/et, eye/eee).
Hi! I've listened to these first three files. You're going to be a most excellent addition to LibriVox. Thank you for joining us!

This PL note is uncharacteristically looooong. :) Hang in there, and ask questions if I fail to make my communications clear. Future sections will come more smoothly. (Which is NOT saying that these sections are problematic - in fact, they are fantastic. You just have a decision to make on the poem, and minor edits at opening/endings of sections.)

1. I paid particular attention to the rhyming question you had. "Normal" poetry-reading convention is to read a sentence in its regular pacing, ignoring the line breaks if those do not coincide with clauses, etc. However!!! Poetry is also a field where leeway with conventions is appropriate. Mandeville's got a very clear rhythm set up, and he obviously intends a constant rhyme scheme. So - in this case, maintaining the cadencing line by line by line rather than allowing sentences to flow around the line breaks the few times that occurs, is in my opinion definitely the way to go.

Regarding the forced rhymes. . . Typically they may be smudged somewhat, but not drastically, while reading poetry. But again, it seems to me that this case is an exception. My vote would be to do what you have done - it lets the poem keep its "drone" air, which I suspect is intentional.

Since this is your project, and you're the BC, you have the power to make the decision of keeping it how you've read it, or changing the most forced occurrences to more normal pronunciations. Just in case you do decide that you want to change pronunciations, here's the list of words with the hard-forced endings, and their timestamps (remember to work from back to front so that the times don't move on you for edits later in the recording)

1:44 vanity
4:58 salary
5:18 honesty
5:24 perquisite
7:40 opposite
15:42 miss
16:47 industry
18:37 eat

2. LibriVox conventions on openings and endings of sections. - Even when a book is read as a solo, the intros and outros need to follow the LibriVox conventions for every section, although we do get to use the shorter intro on all but the initial section.

Section 0 is PL OK :thumbs:

Section 01 - The recording itself is terrific, no edits needed unless you decide to change pronunciations. The very beginning needs to be edited, though.

Since this book doesn't have marked chapters, you would use the word "section" inside the disclaimer:

"Section One of The Fable of the Bees by Bernard Mandeville. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain. The Grumbling Hive: or Knaves turn’d Honest"

The end should be a simple, "End of Section 1," followed by the 5 seconds of silence.

Section 02 - Because the introduction is sandwiched between the Fable and the discussion, this is probably the best approach to the intro (otherwise, it would have the same thing you did with the preface section):

"Section Two of The Fable of the Bees by Bernard Mandeville. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain. Introduction."

And the ending needs "End of Section 2, followed by the 5 seconds of silence."

No editing inside your reading on either of these sections is needed. :)
~Lynette * -
mmunoz

Post by mmunoz »

Thanks for going into detail. I've been looking a bit at the wiki, and it seems like the BC has leeway on a lot of things I assumed there would be guidelines for.

I think your interpretation of the meter is correct. Mandeville makes it pretty clear in the preface that he's going for a sing-song sort of children's fable. One of his other books was a collection of translations/rewrites of French fable poems.

I do tend to overemphasize line breaks for enjambments in general. In my head, they're implicit short caesuras (just enough to "reset" the meter e.g. on a line with an extra weak syllable), but it doesn't always come across that way.

I would like to go back over the rhymes (thank you for the timestamps), but I'll leave it until I know better what to change them to.

I'll definitely edit the section titles, but that may have to be next week. Until then, I'll upload what I have for today (with its uncorrected intro/outro).
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Oh! So sorry that I didn't see section 3 was uploaded!! I hope it hasn't been waiting a long time. :(

As Phil said, there's no need for you to post the link each time in the discussion, since you're the one who puts it into the MW, but I'll see that you have a section waiting much quicker if you post a note here telling me that you added one. :)

I watch the project discussions like a hawk, but I only go ferret out that obscurely-buried PL list connected to my Catalog page every 7-10 days. It's cumbersome to get to, and slow to load!

Just cue me with something simple, like "section 4 is up"
~Lynette * -
mmunoz

Post by mmunoz »

OK, sections 1-3 have updated intro/outros and section 4 is ready for PL.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

mmunoz wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 7:16 pm OK, sections 1-3 have updated intro/outros and section 4 is ready for PL.

Section 1 and Section 2 are PL OK -very nice edits :thumbs: :thumbs:

I'll listen to 3 and 4 first thing in the morning.
~Lynette * -